Your final musical frontier
Feb 26, 2003 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
what style of music is one you've never gotten into, but really want to learn and hear more about? for me it is jazz. i listen to the jazz radio station, but know little about it, and would like someday to explore it in depth.

which is yours?

(note: i made the choices general, so for bluegrass pick country, etc. i know they are not the same exactly, but close enough. besides there are hundreds of sub-genres and i can only do 20 for the poll. also if i left something out please say so.)

Feb 26, 2003 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 26
What about heavy metal, death metal, and the like?

Feb 26, 2003 at 8:35 PM Post #3 of 26
hi sie,
put it under rock.

-edit-
is your sig from socrates?
nevermind, i found the socratic quote:
"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing."

Feb 26, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 26
Redshifter,

Thanks. I'll vote in a minute.

The quote is actually from Paul of Tarsus. Maybe I should upadte it and add something new. I do like my old quote though since it really tells us to remember that once we think we've "arrived" at knowing something, we stop growing and lose ground. We should never stop questioning, seeking, and learning.

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 26
For me it's electronica. I know I like it, I just don't know anything about it or many artists or anything. I'd love to explore the genre more but am not quite sure where to start...

I'm always into expanding my musical preferences. Jazz is another one I'd like to get into some time in the future.

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 26
Hi rizumu, if you want to know more about electronica, go to amazon.co.uk there are alot of electronica music there, techno, trance, you name it. Usually I bought the gate crasher cd, it's compilation cd. Try to get the best of DJ SASH! He is a german DJ, very famous, you might know some of his song, Ecuador, Adelante, btw it's a great album. If you can get to hmv.com.au try to find nick skitz, He is australian dj, and right now I think he got his 11th cd already.

Feb 27, 2003 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 26
Well I've always been into rock but it'll be my final frontier. I want to play guitar, bass, and drums one day. So I'm just going to try and jump into this stuff.

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 26
Classical for me, I think that I really would enjoy it more if I knew it better, I'm pretty ignorant of the real values of the classical music, even when I have heard some, I think that I will get into it as soon as I have some time, and finish to get the whole collections I'm interested in have in rock and jazz/rock

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:02 AM Post #10 of 26
Please make that "next" musical frontier. It would frighten me to think that there is only one left.

You guys have to educate me on electronica. I have been through the other genre to a sufficient extent. I tend to like music without words. Music with words is song, and words without music is either the evening news or rap. Funny thing about rap, it was around 25 years ago, although I think it was called p-funk at the time. Guys used to play it at the gym to annoy other people. It worked.

World music is a huge category. I really want to know more about latin music, especially carribean jazz.

gerG

Feb 27, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 26
I need to expand my horizons a bit. I voted for classical, world, and other. I don't know if I'll like classical much, but I really like instrumentals in both rock and industrial, so if I could find out some good beginner stuff on classical I might try it out. I really haven't heard any world music, only music influenced by it. The middle eastern influences on Conjure One's debut album were really neat and I like stuff sang in foreign languages.

Feb 27, 2003 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 26
Electronic but, like Rizumu, I don't know where to beign. I think the genre has great potential for having some music I'd like, but I think it also has the potential of holding a lot of junk - so I don't know where to start. And since the genre is perfect for producing at home on the computer THERE'S SO MUCH OF IT OUT NOW - it's daunting.

The music I'd like to know least about is that putrid, pablum they push as "world music". Throw in a little synth, some chanting in French or African, an Arabic Ney Flute and the backbeat to "Justify My Love" an you've got world music. I made the mistake of buying a "world music" HDCD sampler. If that's the best the world can come up with....
rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 9:12 AM Post #14 of 26
Nothing too out-there as to ease you fellows in, nice and easy...

Boards of Canada - Hi Scores (recently repressed on CD. Should be easy to find at any store that stocks independent records. Mellow, blissful, easy to enjoy.)

Global Communication - 76:14 (I remarked in another thread that this was a timeless classic, and, well, I'm right. I cannot recommend this album highly enough. It is brilliant and really shows the beauty and scope that can be achieved with electronic implements.)

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works II (An excellent introduction to ambient electronic music.)

Various - Ohm - Early Gurus of Electronic Music (This is more difficult to get into, but is critical for understanding and appreciating the way electronic music has evolved. It does a very good job considering the enormous breadth and scope of the genre.)

Orbital - In Sides (One of my favorite albums and one of those that gently pushed me deeper into the waters of electronic music. It's easy to listen to, but it's important because as your taste evolves and you can appreciate more complex and difficult electronica, you can find more and more layers in this album.)

Plaid - Double Figure (Another very-easy-on-the-ears but still a rhythmically complex and brilliant album. Track 19 is an amazing jazzy track with a beautiful female singer - eat your heart out, Norah.)

These are, of course, just mere starter suggestions. I bet many folks, including those who've never listened to electronic music before, would enjoy them. (Case in point: my parents have asked me "What are you playing?" each time I've listened to any of the above albums...)

Of course, if you enjoy this stuff, then you will inevitably claw your way deeper down the rabbit hole. I personally have gone so far down the rabbit hole that I've come out the other end, gone down it again, and ended up in places I had no idea even existed.

So if anyone enjoys what I've recommended, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to hold your hand down the glorious road that is ELECTRONIC MUSIC.

Oh, and, another edit: please DO YOURSELF A FAVOR and ignore all electronica compilations you see crowding the shelves of Borders, Tower Records, etc. Above all, ignore anything with the words "chillout" or "lounge" or "groove" in the title or somewhere on the packaging. These are just amalgamations of the music used in various car commercials.

- Chris

[size=xx-small]edited to include links to Amazon for easy info/purchase[/size]

Feb 27, 2003 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 26
For me it's classical. As much as I appreciate the talents of top drawer rock and jazz musicians, they don't hold a candle to the truly great performers and composers of classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back