Your Favourite Instrument - and Why?
Mar 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

GlendaleViper

Yep, words.
I'm sure we all have a bunch of favourites; I place the guitar, acoustic and electric bass, trombone, cello, flute, tuba, bassoon, kalimba, vibraphone, various keyboards and the modern drum kit way up at the top of my list. But what is that single instrument that holds the crown, and why?

For me, it's the mighty Hammond B3 organ. It's versatility is simply too much to deny. From the range of tones it can make (especially with its perfect match - the Leslie rotary speaker), from solo to background, the B3 has it all. It can pound out massive, swirling sounds or the most delicate expresssions and everything in between. It's a rhythm instrument, it's a melody maker. It comps well with just about anything, but especially guitar. It can scream with a crunchy bite or warble soft sustains. There is simply nothing else like it and it is, bar none, my favourite instrument.

B3.jpg

So what's yours? What instrument do you seek out?

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 45
I'm not a musician at all, but the oboe is my favorite.

It's a tough instrument to play, but sounds divine when played by a gifted musician.

But I do agree with your assessment of the versatility and range of the B3, and my recent forays into Cal Tjader's music certainly make the vibes a close contender!

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 45
That good'ol organ is great for sure. I Love a great finger picking banjo, passionate fiddle, and almost any percussion instrument.

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 45
Cello - I just don't think there's anything as emotive

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 45
The Piano is my favorite. Im not sure why but I will say that most types of music benefit from the Piano. Maybe listening to my Dad play when I was younger is one reason for my affinity for the Piano. I also like Jazz music and you know how the Piano fits into Jazz.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 45
Another organ fanatic here. Amazing how it fits so well with rock, classical music and church music. Our choirmaster used to play Handel Organ voluntaries which sent a shiver (of joy) right down the spine...

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 45
If I had to choose only one, I would say the violin - to me, it is the most lyrical instrument other than the voice, and it's capable of so much range and expression. Favorite instrument all around would be an organ, except that I can't play it.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by indysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cello - I just don't think there's anything as emotive

I'm with you there...glad I switched to cello from violin. I am also extremely fond of the bassoon, probably because I spent some time playing right next to one in an early music group. They just have a fantastic sound.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 45
I put a vote in for the harpsichord. I am enamored with the crisp 'tinkle' of the string 'pluck'. It is a light and whimsical instrument, but retains an air of class and elegance. It pairs very well with a small group of varieties of flutes and violins; no so well with an entire symphony orchestra.

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #13 of 45
Both my daughters were in orchestra and gifted players at that. The oldest played the violin and the youngest the viola. Even though the viola player had more talent, my vote is for the violin.

To me the violin captures the emotion and drama of the music. Its a visceral feeling while listening and somehow reaches into my primal core. I cannot help but to be drawn into the movement and feelings the violin elicits. I have seen people sob with the emotional pain the violin imparted on Amazing Grace and get up and dance with reckless abandon to violinists like Barrage. I can't think of another instrument that mirrors human emotions as well.

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 45
The best players can make listening to the violin a transcendent experience. Double bass is the instrument I play... but if I had to choose just one instrument to listen to, it would be the violin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back