Your favourite brand of capacitor?
Dec 1, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #17 of 22
I've had the most consistent results with Black Gates.. there may be certain applications where other caps do sound better(more transparent, like a piece of wire), but this depends on things like DC bias, etc.

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:14 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf
Why so many people prefer Cerafines to Silmics? Silmics are supposed to be better.

Silmics are more expensive, harder to get and also look a bit drab (don't underestimate this....)
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Dec 1, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #19 of 22
ive had great luck with the Panasonic FM caps... easy to source, inexpensive, and work well for what i use them for (power caps)

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 22
Also the Nichicon UPW and UHE series, which are essentially the same as the Panasonic FC and FM series, very good for power supply use. If you are ordering most of your parts from Mouser then it makes sense to get these Nichicons rather than making a separate order with Digi-Key just for the Panasonics.

Dec 1, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #21 of 22
ive found of late, for my location, that Nichicon Muse FG are cheaper then their equivalent Panasonic FC (in the values ive needed) from the same source. i've used them the last couple of projects ive built, /mode +fap. and ive managed to save money too!@#

Dec 2, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #22 of 22
I agree with the statement about the right cap for the job.

- Oscon for digital bypass
- Cerafine/Silmic/Muse for expensive PSU/bypassing when warranted
- Panasonic FM when building something for the first time, or just because they're handy
- BG-N/BG-NX for when you absolutely have to put an electrolytic cap in the signal path (though cerafine/silmic/Muse KZ are close)

I can't really choose a favorite, either. Just depends on what I'm building, for whom, and whether or not I want to go balls-out on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back