Your favourite brand of capacitor?
Nov 29, 2005 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
What's your favoured brand of capacitor for use in a headphone amp? Panasonic FM is my current cap of choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 22
Panasonic FM. Great specs, no BS. I somewhat regret wasting money on Elna Cerafines for my Millet, I doubt they make a damn difference. But at least they increase resale value should I ever want to part with it.

Nov 29, 2005 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 22
The question is totally invalid Mike because it has zero context.

Where in the circuit ?

Solid State or vacuum tube ?

RF Bypass ?

Filter shunts ?

Coupling cap and if so input or output ?

LCR Filter ?

Capacitors need to fit the use and not the other way around and I have seen some totally off the hook uses on some very expensive capacitors used entirely wrong and actully a detriment not a sonic improvement.

no way i can answer a "which capacitor is best" any more than can the "what amp is best" question be answered.

sorry dude but you need to "tweak" the poll

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

i assume this poll is about aluminum electrolytic caps. Otherwise you cannot compare different types of caps together.

still valid.some of those caps are good for signal coupling but suck at power supply bypassing while one is great as a digital PS bypass but not for audio PS etc.If ever an area should be avoided in audio it is using the same "best" capacitor at every position in a circuit that uses that "type" of cap and that includes electrolytics which are used anywhere in the circuit that calls for more than 50 uF or so,including signal coupling

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 22
Guys, read the question...... what is your favourite "brand" of capacitor. Not so much for what part of a circuit etc. but "what is your favourite brand?"

Nov 29, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 22
has EVERYTHING to do with it Mike !

OS Con for digital Bypasses but not for analog so off the list for an amp with panasonic or nichicon for low voltage analog supply bypasses and BG for high voltage Vacuum tube supply bypases or elnas/BG for coupling over 50 uf but................

as you can plainly see there is no "favorite" or "right use" but only favorite for circuit/cuircuit position and to say "what cap is best in a headphone amp" not a valid poll unless there are "controls" such as what type of amp and where in the circuit the caps is to be.
How is this any different than the "what is the best headphone amp" or "what is the best headphone" polls mostly avoid ?

when you have a very large amount of DIY newbies these types of things have importance that those who know better do not see.A newb seeing a poll that names a "favorite" electrolytic capacitor would get the impresssion that is the #1 best solution for all things and rush to spend way too much loot for a seriously comprimised amp so i added my thoughts as a "buffer" to that happening.Call it adding some information so the easily lead will at least ask the right questions or do some actual research/original thinking.

Not crapping on the poll man.Just adding to the thought processs (hopefully)
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jboehle
Elna Cerafine. Not because I think they sound better...they're just so damn pretty!
eek.gif

*Points above*......Ooh Ooh Rick, it isn't just me
icon10.gif

hehe, just jokin.

Nov 29, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Ooh Ooh Rick, it isn't just me

absolutely not just you and something the manufacturers not only know but use to advantage.

there was a time when most circuitry was hidden from view and damn ugly it was too no matter how good it sounded but we worried about the sonics more then.Ugle transformers,ugly wire,ugly capacitors,ugly heat sinks yet everything asounded pretty damn good .

then we had "under the hood pictures" as a selling point and being an idustry that relies heavily on convincing you that a pretty face sounds better and why more engineering goes into the "look" than does the ciruit, the rush was to pretty parts over actual sonics and even the parts manufacturers realised they could get $10 for a $0.50 part if they "dressed it up".
No longer was "this is the best sounding part on the planet earth" as important as "this is the best looking part on the planet earth" and with everyone stuffing their boards with "pretty parts" then posting the "oooh look at this" pictures.

it is my personal opinion many amps would be better off mounted on the wall as a trophy than they are suited to playing music but yeah,just me man
wink.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42

Not crapping on the poll man.Just adding to the thought processs

OK OK.... can we generalise (just for once) and just say what "brand" of electrolytic we like / use at the moment without getting into specifics and minutiae like sound quality, looks, cost, purposefulness, weight, colour, smell, burn in time, X-factor, synergy, large ones, small ones, fat one, thin ones, Low ESR and all those other yawn inducing details...... just name a brand and be done with it
tongue.gif

My brand of choice this week is Panasonic.... there, I mentioned a brand! Panasonic Panasonic Panasonic.......

woohooo this is so much fun I'll name another brand....... Rubycon!

ooooooh mama this is fun!! <plays wurlitzer organ in the nude and sings> ELNA....... ooh baby....... Black Gate <grabs crotch and squeals like Michael Jackson> Ni...CHI...CON...... yeh mama hit me with your rhythm stick....... PAN.....A........SONIC!! Chorus..........

<men in white coats have arrived
blink.gif
>

Nov 30, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #14 of 22
Mostly because I have a pile of them left over from my last project at work (300 W SMPS).
icon10.gif

(I'm working on a 2 GHz PA now-mostly ATC and DiElectric labs hi-Q ceramic or porcelain caps)
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back