Your favorite Pavement album
Aug 7, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #16 of 35
I love the sound of Slanted and Enchanted more than almost any other indie rock album of the 90s (I was really into the lo-fi thing back then). It sounds so ragged and fuzzy, like a 50 year old flannel shirt. But in terms of songcraft (lyrics and melodies) I think Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is my favorite. I can sing pretty much every lyric from that album, and even the imperfect moments ("Hit the Plane Down") are somehow lovable.

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #17 of 35
For me Slanted used to be No. 1. Now I would say its a tossup b/t Brighten and Wowee................I hated Crooked when it hit the streets, seemed too poppy at the time though now I consider it worthwhile.

Actually I've had another great Pavementesque experience with the Silver Jews. David Berman is a real witty and poignant songwriter, kind of a lo-fi Dylan. American Water and the Natural Bridge are the two best.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #18 of 35
Silver Jews are a great band. The tunes are pretty lifeless, but the lyrics are amazing. If they were more fully formed and coherent structurally (most of them seem to be a stream of consciousness, a mash of unrelated lines) they would be up there with Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan IMHO.
They don't sound anything like Pavement though, other than the personnel connection.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by skellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Silver Jews are a great band. The tunes are pretty lifeless, but the lyrics are amazing....They don't sound anything like Pavement though, other than the personnel connection.

There's a couple songs on American Water that sound almost just like Pavement. Like "Federal Dust" and "A Wild Kindness". Great record, and really nice analog recording done at the little Rare Book Room studio in Brooklyn. Lots of life in both the tunes and the recording.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #20 of 35
database error double post - be nice to enable post delete
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by skellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah Stephen Malkmus plays on that album doesn't he? I've only heard 'The Natural Bridge'.

Looks like this board is a bit screwed up right now, but yeah, Malkmus plays lead guitar all over and sings or shares vocal lead on at least a couple songs, which gives the whole record a little bit of a Crooked Rain "Range Life" vibe. Still, the best songs are pure Berman, like the leadoff "Random Rules".

Aug 8, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #24 of 35
The "best" is probably Slanted and Enchanted, but my favorite is Terror Twilight, Spit on a Stranger is too good to pass up.

Aug 9, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #25 of 35
ahhh I just have to throw my two cents in for on of my favorite bands! Their music to me feels like a plastered collage of urban observances and god, it's just so smooth. The way Malkmus sings has this great meter to it that's just impossible to not love. And Strangely, as absurd as the lyricism is, something about it just makes sense but articulating exactly what it is is just so challenging. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I also love when they do those extended outros (trigger cut, shady lane, etc), something just really clicks with those.

I think it's really interesting how so many people are listing Wowee Zowee, Brighten The Corners, and Terror Twilight. I've noticed that recently their later work has become a lot more regarded. They're terrific albums where the band is given a lot more space to work with but still are about as absurd as their earlier work :p.

That being said, I love Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and Slanted and Enchanted to absolute death. If I had to choose I would lean ever so slightly in favor for S&E- it's just too damn memorable, perplexing, and in all honesty a really really enjoyable listen.

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #28 of 35
Another vote for Crooked Rain. Cut Your Hair was a bit of a hit for them, but I always liked "Stop Breathin'" and "Unfair" the most.

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They may be lo-fi in the sense of being underproduced, but I consider that a good thing. Their albums are generally quite well recorded, bordering on audiophile actually, I was just listening to Brighten the Corners and thinking about how clear the recording was.

Only their first album sounds underproduced. In fact their last album (Terror Twilight) sounds extremely polished (as far as songwriting/performing, not sound which as you mentioned generally sounds well).

Hard to pick a fave.

A few years ago it would have been Terror Twilight but lately I've been appreciating Brighten The Corners more. Wowee Zowee is their most interesting...although Crooked Rain has some great songs on it...see, it's hard!!!
icon10.gif

I'd have to go with Brighten The Corners, followed very closely by Crooked Rain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back