Your Favorite Pad for Grados
May 7, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 28
With RS-1 for me it is definitely the stock bowls. I know everyone has their own preference, but I just don't see how anyone could like the flats. To me, it makes them sound like a PortaPro. Not that portapros are bad, they're just muddy and lack detail.
I haven't tried the flats with the hole. Maybe I'll do that today.

May 8, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #17 of 28
This is quite surprising to me. I love the stock bowls. John Grado said most like the bowls. But all I ever saw on here was how uncomfortable they were and that people should use comfies or 414's. I never expected more people to like the bowls like me.

May 8, 2006 at 12:30 AM Post #18 of 28
I voted stock bowls for my 325i. There seemed to be a lack of slam with 414 pads and I need a little bit more soundstage. C-Pads would probably be candy for me but unless I try them first, I don't want to spend the money on them.

May 8, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #19 of 28
I use stock bowls, reversed bowls, and flats on my HF-1s. The differences in sound are all good or bad to me depending on my mood. Reversed bowls are a great compromise, but they are highly uncomfortable to me. Bowls give a nice, laid back and what I consider balanced performance, but they bore me at times. Flats are upfront, in a giant-club-to-the-face sort of way. Great fun, but they can hurt the ears with the harshness at times. Haven't tried any of the other pads yet.

May 8, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #21 of 28
I tried them all, and the best balance of sound comes from the stock bowls, after they have softened up over time!

Listen the way they were ment to be heard!!
tongue.gif

May 8, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #22 of 28
OK, I'll plead ignorance.....I've owned a set of SR60s for about a year and have a set of SR125s comming (Tonite..I hope!) but I have no idea what half of the above listed pads are. Mine are the stock "Comfies" with the hole and my SR125s will have the bowls...but what the hell are "Flats" and "C-pads"?

Inquiring minds and all.....

May 8, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #25 of 28
I find neither the flats not bowls are ideal, but I went with flats for old times sake. If you deprogram yourself and give them time, there's plenty of highs. However, in warm weather, you do lose a lot of the top end. Not sure why this is.

May 9, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #28 of 28
With Tube amps:
RS1= new hard bowls
HF1= new hard bowls
MS2= Used soggy/washed bowls
MS1= Hole modded HD414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back