Your favorite Opera?
Aug 26, 2007 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, so which is your favorite opera?

EDIT: One oversight I see is that I put no Britten on this list, I apologize especially to you Britten fans. But imagine as if Peter Grimes and Turn of the Screw were there
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 14
I am not a huge fan of opera. The singing technique of opera singers never captivates me. They may be technically perfect but I do not find emotion in their sound.

Yet I will go with Turandot for this vote (Silly me, voted for Tosca instead so remove one Tosca from the list).

By the way, there are two Marriage of Figaro's in the list
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 14
I had not experienced too many opears, only few.
Out of all of them I like Bizet's Carmen alot.
So since I am unfamiliar with many of the pieces you have listed I shall abstain from the vote.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 14
Tough question. In the end I narrowed it down to two. La Traviata/Il Travatore(as a set) and La Boheme. La Boheme won out for the cold little hand and Musettas' dirty little ditty.

Plus for some reason I can really relate to the characters.

Strausses' Die Fledermaus could be another one for honorary mention. Truly funny stuff.

Aug 26, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Let's say the first Boris is the 1869 version, and the second is the 1872. They are substantially different operas anyway.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 14
Well I voted for 'Bluebeard's Castle' because that and 'The Gambler' are the only ones I know. But even though I love it, it's still a little inconsistent. Does anyone know of something in that rich, atmospheric style I might like better?

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 14
I voted for Other, simply because on a list like this, you've left out too many other choices. Some I would have included are Don Carlo, Mefistofele, Medea, and The Flying Dutchman. Some of your inclusions are a bit odd too. Is La Favola d'Orfeo or The Love For Three Oranges really anyone's favorite opera?

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by skellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I voted for 'Bluebeard's Castle' because that and 'The Gambler' are the only ones I know. But even though I love it, it's still a little inconsistent. Does anyone know of something in that rich, atmospheric style I might like better?

Operas don't get much more rich and atmospheric than Strauss's Salome and Elektra, though I still much prefer Bluebeard myself - it's much tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back