Your favorite music program on the radio
Oct 13, 2002 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

neil

500+ Head-Fier
What's your favorite music program on the radio? (Name of the program, the station call signs, city/state/country, and the web site if available)

#1. NPR's The Thistle & Shamrock with host Fiona Ritchie. Guided by your host Fiona Ritchie, step into the heart of an ancient tradition of reels, jigs, ballads, and laments. Then follow the pulse towards new music: an exuberant blend of irresistible rhythms, emotional voices, and fascinating instruments.

#2. WDET's The Liz Copeland Program (101.9 FM here in Detroit). Program list is here and you'll see she's from 12AM until 4AM, described as Alternative music variety. And that's it -- just a nice variety of good stuff. Some bio info on Liz Copeland.

Oct 13, 2002 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 18
Total Rock: Doom and co

Channel 885 for those that have sky digital in the uk.

From 6-9 (used to be till midnight but as usual got cut) and plays everything from Iron Maiden through Magnum, through Black Sabbath through Marillion. Loads of requests played and loads of special guests in the studio.

Cheers...

Oct 14, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 18
Musical Starstreams

http://www.starstreams.com

They play some real great stuff at times an others erm
rolleyes.gif
not good
rolleyes.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 18
*takes a deep breath*

1. Sessions on KCRW, Santa Monica, CA. Not as a big fan of Morning Becomes Eclectic except for the live performances.

2. The whole of Smooth 105, Bangkok, Thailand. This is the stuff I grew up on, and I could almost move back just to hear it again. I have an awfully good time with this station for no particular reason. If you're in NYC, 106.7 Lite FM is rather like this station, but still edgy by comparison (that's how mellow it gets!).

3. Get 102.5, Bangkok, Thailand. I just miss being able to hear Frou Frou and Badly Drawn Boy and Gareth Gates on one top40 format station. Home to the DJ who had a catfight with Bjork a few years back.

Oops, am I supposed to recommend something that expands horizons and not drown ya'll in my fatalist nostalgia? See number 1.
eek.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 18
Holy smokes, almost forgot about Acoustic Cafe (right out of Michigan too!). You'll love Acoustic Cafe because they have a lot of their shows archived, and a ton of great artists that have performed live in their studios.

Just looking at the list of archived shows (recent) and ones from the past, you'll surely find someone you dig.

In fact, Beck was just on the September 23, 2002 show. Listen here... but not sure if they cover Sea Change.

EDIT: Yes, listening to the Beck one now -- and indeed, they do mention Sea Change. And according to the host, Beck gave only this acoustic interview this year.

EDIT: And find out if Acoustic Cafe is on a station near you. It's truly a great show.

Oct 16, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 18
Local radio in Dallas is a W A S T E L A N D... a tasteless, mindless, meaningless stream of corporate blathering that assaults the eardrums like a procession of hyperactive children with popguns.

88.1 (jazz) and 90.1 (NPR) are good stations. Dealing with the rest is like trying to seperate a Cardas cable from the remnants of a massive Smurf herd killing. Is it really worth looking for among the carnage?

I vote no. Gimme XM/Internet/whatever radio. Help!

Oct 16, 2002 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 18
I like KPFA 94.1 Berkeley. A listener-sponsored station that is rebroadcast at KFCF 88.1 Fresno.

Excellent music you will find no where else. Here is their program schedule that has an extremely wide range of music. Good stuff like the Johnny Otis Show and Blues by the Bay.

http://www.kpfa.org/1pg_grid.htm

You can listen online too.

Oct 16, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
radio?
confused.gif

It's the primary way I keep up with the news. NPR and the BBC. The public radio stations around here luckily also have some sweet music programs -- they were really my pre-Head-Fi in terms of getting ideas about who I could listen to next.

Oct 16, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

1. Sessions on KCRW, Santa Monica, CA.
-leon

right on!
Quote:

It's the primary way I keep up with the news. NPR and the BBC.
-neil

completely agree man. npr is as essential to me as the la times - while journalistic bias is debatable, its the best source of information and news available.

kcrw is where its at for me, among other programs (they really don't have any bad ones) i think janda baldwin's webcasts are great. find them here: http://kcrw.org/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl?t...m&show_code=br

tim,
set your tuner to 89.9FM
wink.gif

best,
carlo.

Oct 16, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 18
stuartr,

its too bad that guy left wkrp to teach students, even if they were the head of their class...

kcrw is a completely user supported radio program, npr during the day and music at night and on weekends.

best,
carlo.

Oct 16, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
stuartr,

its too bad that guy left wkrp to teach students, even if they were the head of their class...

I am glad someone got that...I thought it might be a little old for many on this board...
Come to think of it, I am pretty sure that I have KCRW on my preset in the car. I listen to it in the morning on the way to class.

Oct 16, 2002 at 12:07 PM Post #15 of 18
Hearts of Space

Nashville Public Radio
WPLN 90.3
Sunday 11pm-12pm

Tried listening to Starstreams a couple of times and was dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back