bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
hello everyone. i wanted to start a poll to see which media players people use on these forums. i personally use zune software. don't knock it till you try it. its amazing software and does what i need ti to. also with a bit of registry editing you can add custom themes. personally my only gripe about zune software is it's lack of an eq. but i hardly ever use an eq so no biggy.

talk about what you use and why you use it. and best of all enjoying your precious discusion. criticism's is allowed only if you can back up what you say with experience.

Jun 20, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 79
You should change the title to audio player, because media player is a bit vast, and usually people use a player for audio and other for video, IMHO.

I use foobar2000 for music playback and Media Player Classic for video playback.

Jun 20, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 79
If we're talking audio only ......

Foobar2000 in Windows.  Amarok with Linux.  Why - best features I've come across so far on both platforms.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 79
Don't start about the sound quality, but most of the time I listen on a laptop through Grooveshark. It's an online music streaming service, which saves me the hassle of downloading music and paying for it or downloading illegally. The sound quality often sucks, but if you listen carefully to the quality, you can actually find some decent quality songs. Without any good hardware in the laptop (only my ultra portable headphones, that aren't high end either), the sound quality is just fine for on the road and while studying.

One bad thing about Grooveshark, you won't find any Beatles music. I guess copyrights are the cause, but for that music, I can always listen to FLAC.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 79
Is this poll strictly about music playback, or the other things these programs are used for? I mean, I have foobar2000, Mediamonkey Gold, and iTunes all on my computer, and they all have their respective uses. Windows Media Player 12 is there too, but I only use that for watching videos.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 79
huh.. no lilith/ulilith?

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 79
im surprised no one likes winamp. i thought winamp was highly regarded.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 79

Quote:
im surprised no one likes winamp. i thought winamp was highly regarded.

Nullsoft should have both ASIO and WASAPI plugins less hidden on their plugin library. But then again, that's understandable given the sheer size of its library.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 79

Quote:
Is this poll strictly about music playback, or the other things these programs are used for? I mean, I have foobar2000, Mediamonkey Gold, and iTunes all on my computer, and they all have their respective uses. Windows Media Player 12 is there too, but I only use that for watching videos.

Jun 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 79
Jun 20, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 79

Quote:
mostly music playback but i think both. it depends. i left it open to select more then one for their various uses.

OK then, now I have voted.

I voted first in the "other" section because Mediamonkey Gold was not listed. My entire lossy library is in it, and it is what I use for 5 out of 6 DAPs that I own. If I want to listen to anything from the lossy library, I use it also. FLACs are kept in foobar, because I don't want them on my portable players.

Second, I voted for foobar2000. I use for its utilities menu (file integrity verifier, compare AccurateRip, fix VBR MP3 header, etc.) and its ReplayGain scanner and tagger mostly, and for listening to my FLACs as well.

Third, iTunes.....I have a Touch 4G, and being that I get my podcasts from iTunes (some are available nowhere else) I kinda have to have it there. If it wasn't for the podcasts (and the app store), I'd leave iTunes just sitting there, mostly unused.....there are other programs that can load music onto iPods, after all. For my limited use of it, iTunes is tolerable.....I don't buy any music there though.

Finally, Windows Media Player 12 with the Shark007 codec pack....I only use it for watching videos, and I don't use its library at all....I click on said videos in Windows Explorer to open them in WMP12 and watch them that way.

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 79
foobar2000, been using it for maybe 2 or so years now and there won't be no going back. Used to use WinAmp previously due to the huge library of 3rd party plugins. However after I discovered how dolby headphone can sound like with appropriate foobar2000 plugin (channel mixer) settings I can barely stand listen to other players now. It's like you get live performances from across the world visiting your room. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back