Your favorite Mahler slow movement?
Apr 4, 2009 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FinnishFlash

Head-Fier
This poll was inspired by one of those late-night Mahler sessions involving what I, for the moment, think must be the very best among Mahler's many fantastic slow movements.

I know answering this question might feel like having to chose a favorite among your children, but I thought it could spark some interesting discussion. So, if you could chose only one, which of the options would be your favorite?

(note: I decided to pick only one movement from each symphony, meaning that I, for instance, excluded the first movement of the ninth)

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 6
Might I present my particular fave (not really adagio, but counts as such, arguably
smily_headphones1.gif
an andante amoroso from the Symphony 7. It is rumored to be the inspiration for the great romantic concerto in Thomas Mann's Doctor Faustus (composed in the novel by the antihero Adrian Leverkuhn, near the end)
Specifically I favor the one recorded by The Gustav Mahler JugendOrchestra at the 1999 Edinburgh Festival, while Claudio Abbado was leading them.
It's one of those hard to get broadcast recordings i.e. not available for money anywhere, but I find it more incisive and committed than Abbado's commercial recording with the Berlin forces- although that is a disc I would NOT be without-
anyway so I put it up on my blog for anyone interested [insert sennheisersmile]!
(sorry for the sneaky defacto plug)

StateWork : Free Great Classical Broadcast Recordings: A Mahler Seventh that recalls its artistic muses Rembrandt and Mann through a fired-up Abbado-led Youth Orchestra!

Guillermo
StateWork : Free Great Classical Broadcast Recordings

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 6
That's very interesting, I have to check out the andante amoroso against that background (I must admit I am no fan of the 7th, perhaps because I have not given it much of a fair chance)! Reading Doctor Faustus makes you very curious about what Herr Leverkuhn's music could have sounded like, and any insight is very warmly wellcome. Great novel, by the way, and a must-read for any fan of classical music. Where else in a classic novel can you, for instance, read an analysis of Beethovens op. 111 sonata stretching over several pages?

Apr 8, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 6
O Röschen rot!
Der Mensch liegt in größter Not!
Der Mensch liegt in größter Pein!
Je lieber möcht ich im Himmel sein!
Da kam ich auf einen breiten Weg;
Da kam ein Engelein und wollt mich abweisen.
Ach nein! Ich ließ mich nicht abweisen!
Ich bin von Gott und will wieder zu Gott!
Der liebe Gott wird mir ein Lichtchen geben,
Wird leuchten mir bis in das ewig selig Leben!

This is from Mahler's 2nd, Urlicht (Sehr feierlich, aber schlicht)
The tormented soul longs for etenal Gluck..

I like all of Mahler, but this is really extremely beautiful..

Interesting btw to see on
youtube, where this piece is conducted by the young Glenn Gould, who was a big fan of the 2nd (and 8th) of Mahler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back