Your Favorite Living Jazz Pianist
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 28
I love the diversity of Mehldau's work, but I have to go with Tyner. I'd always appreciated his work, but seeing him last year in Boulder sealed the deal for me.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 28
I'll be greedy and take two in the European style: Leszek Możdżer and Misha Alperin.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 28
You don't have Robert Walter on the list. I don't know if you're including pianist with organist as well, but if you've not heard any live Robert Walter, then you're missing out.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 28
Can't choose…I'm into pretty much everyone on the list from a historical perspective, but right now I'm really loving Jason Moran's work. He's on a gorgeous new live thing with Paul Motian (recorded at the Village Vanguard), and has a trio disc coming out on Blue Note that's somethin' else.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 28
I think Gregg Karukas would fit in here. I just heard of him and have bought about five of his CD's. The recording quality of his CD's is some of the best I have heard and I absolutely love the style. Never heard of him? Check him out.

Apr 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 28
Matthew Shipp?

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rehabitat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Knowing that I am exposing my ignorance of this genre, I'll say Jacques Loussier. I've heard (of) only four of these guys.

Over to you maestros...

x2 on Loussier. I discovered him last year and love the music. Out of the list, I own more of Herbie Hancock than any of the others, both solo and with Miles. He would probably be my favorite on that list.

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chick Corea, I'm a huge fan of almost all of his works/bands.

Totally agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back