Your favorite headphone setup - what it means to you
Apr 16, 2007 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

MetalManCPA

500+ Head-Fier
I am not a regualr headphone listener. For the most part, I have speaker setups at my office, my home office, and my main stereo in my living room.

I have Audio Technica ATH-A900's at my bedside which I listen to on occassion.

My favorite headphone listening setup is simple - iPod 5G 80gb video, Atrio M5's, and Minibox-D amp. I don't use the amp everytime I listen to the iPod. For instance, last night I went to Mohegan Sun. I go there often - small time gambler, but like sitting at the bar and getting the drink for $1 tip. I generally have the iPod on listening to metal while gambling or just walking around. When I go to places like family get togethers or hotels, I use the amp also.

My humble setup gives me great listening pleasure. I listen to music on avergae 6-8 hours a day. I spend to my reasonable limit, and I thoroughly enjoy the setup I have for the dollars I've spent. I am 100% satisfied with the sound - well, we all know that's a lie for I venture a guess that for even those of you who have thousands of dollars invested in your setup, you are always looking to the horizon for more. I am proud of myself that I've researched enough to know a headphone like the Atrio M5 exists, instead of being like 95% of the sheep who believe what Best Buy or Circuit City has is the only place to get headphones. And I'm not knocking those places, for you can most defiantely find a decent headphone there, but to know there is more makes the choices better and more difficult.

I'm passionate about my music. I know I have a great sounding rig.

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 26
The only setups I have right now are my ipod shuffle 2G (w/ iBuds coz i killed my 75s, eww iBuds) and my home rig.

I love my home rig. For the money I think it was definately one of the better deals I got. The Gilmore Lite is a fantastic amp with a very flat response and very good impact and detail. It pairs excellently with my 650s, giving them the oomph they need to sing. The maxxed AlienDAC I have is also pretty good and much more resolving and cleaner than my ex-Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro, but an upgrade will happen eventually, but not soon, good enough for me now. The HD650s are really special. The bass is super deep and I feel as though I am getting almost all the frequencies of the recording. It can be a tad too laid back for rock sometimes when I start missing my old Grados, but the RS2 is coming tomorrow to fill the void.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #3 of 26
Well my home setup is just something that lets me let go of the world with, whatever I may be doing (studying, chatting, or just kicking back and enjoy some tea and muzak). The thing with it is that I don't feel that there are any serious problems with it, and so long that its true to my ears, I can kick back and forget about things. That makes it great to me - it is closed, it sounds great, and it has a nice warm home feeling to it, instead of the strong deep punch or anything like that which I really don't want when I am try to process the goods and the bads of the day.

Well, and 95% of it is the music I choose to listen too, headphones are just a tool =]. I'll find myself tapping to a song in my head on a bus even without any phones with me
cool.gif

(And no this is not cheap...unfortunately, but for things that are special to me or someone close I never worry about that).

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #4 of 26
My headphone setup is just a standby for the times I can't listen to either of my speaker systems. But it is the best headphone setup ever, so I like to listen to music on it sometimes.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My headphone setup is just a standby for the times I can't listen to either of my speaker systems. But it is the best headphone setup ever, so I like to listen to music on it sometimes.

I always look at your sig and then imagine you wearing every single one of those at once...headphone orgy comes to mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sauce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say SR71 and HD650 in the library. It is relaxing and involving just enough to give a nice atmosphere, but calm enough not to take center stage against what I am reading or drawing.

You have a nice library if no one is bothered by hd650 leaking...I stick to my UM2s for that. That sounds like an excellent rig though, thumbs up xD.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always look at your sig and then imagine you wearing every single one of those at once...headphone orgy comes to mind.

Is that a challenge?

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Is that a challenge?

I'll make you an AKG badge out of a pair of RCA interconnects if you pull it off.
Pics are required by the way.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll make you an AKG badge out of a pair of RCA interconnects if you pull it off.
Pics are required by the way.

Deal. I just need to find somebody who could take the picture.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Deal. I just need to find somebody who could take the picture.

Should I start working on the badge design?

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Yes.

Ight, I'll start on it this week, but its not going into production until we have all sides of your head taken with all the headphones on it at the same time.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

i cant barely see what the crap im typing anymore

You found someone to take pics that fast?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back