Your favorite guitar solos?
Oct 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #16 of 95
Robert Fripp's solo in "The Sailor's Tale" has been my favorite since about 1991. Skip ahead to about 2:30...

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 95
Eruption:  Eddie Van Halen
Lady Writer:  Mark Knopfler I think a nastier solo than on Sultans of Swing
Ball and Biscuit: Jack White
Comfortably Numb:  David Gilmour
Purple Haze:  Jimmy Hendrix
Funk No. 49: Joe Walsh
Rocket Queen:  Slash
White Room:  Eric Clapton
Rock& Roll:  Jimmie Page
When White Doves Cry:  Prince

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #19 of 95
Oh whatever...

Almost every poster refuses to post a specific guitar solo (with minute marks included). They just post their favorite song / and or / artist like we've never heard that crap before. They just post their favorite TRACKS.

Damn, if it was that easy, I'd just post "Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun."  
deadhorse.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #20 of 95
You are a brutal task master Stratocaster Man.  Nothing improves my cred like misspelling Jimi Hendrix and adding White to "When Doves Cry." 
"Ball and Biscuit"  Jack White 3:52 to 6:26 
"White Room" Eric Clapton 4:00 to 4:54
"Lady Writer" Mark Knopfler 3:08 to 3:42
"Eruption" Eddie Van Halen :04 to 1:42
"Funk No. 49" Joe Walsh 1:05 to 2:20
"Rock and Roll" Jimmy Page :15 to 1:08
"When Doves Cry" Prince :01 to :30
"Purple Haze" Jimi Hendrix :01 to :33
"Rocket Queen" Slash 5:15 to 5:50
"Sultans of Swing" Mark Knopfler 2:30 to 3:20
"Comfortably Numb" David Gilmour  4:30 to 6:15

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #21 of 95
Quote:
You are a brutal task master Stratocaster Man.  Nothing improves my cred like misspelling Jimi Hendrix and adding White to "When Doves Cry." 
"Ball and Biscuit"  Jack White 3:52 to 6:26 
"White Room" Eric Clapton 4:00 to 4:54
"Lady Writer" Mark Knopfler 3:08 to 3:42
"Eruption" Eddie Van Halen :04 to 1:42
"Funk No. 49" Joe Walsh 1:05 to 2:20
"Rock and Roll" Jimmy Page :15 to 1:08
"When Doves Cry" Prince :01 to :30
"Purple Haze" Jimi Hendrix :01 to :33
"Rocket Queen" Slash 5:15 to 5:50
"Sultans of Swing" Mark Knopfler 2:30 to 3:20
"Comfortably Numb" David Gilmour  4:30 to 6:15

Thank you, my friend. I'm improving life for both of us. 
smile.gif
 Now you have provided a wealth of considerations. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #22 of 95
Quote:
Oh whatever...

Almost every poster refuses to post a specific guitar solo (with minute marks included). They just post their favorite song / and or / artist like we've never heard that crap before. They just post their favorite TRACKS.

Damn, if it was that easy, I'd just post "Jimi Hendrix - Machine Gun."  
deadhorse.gif

If you knew dick about music, you would know that to really get a good feel of the solo, you should listen to the whole song. That way you can really get into the atmosphere and see what the guitarist is trying to say with his music.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #23 of 95
Quote:

If you knew dick about music, you would know that to really get a good feel of the solo, you should listen to the whole song. That way you can really get into the atmosphere and see what the guitarist is trying to say with his music.

Thanks. Examples?

Oct 12, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #24 of 95
Quote:

Thanks. Examples?

I posted my example on page one. Guess you didn't look at the whole thread and just felt like spouting some ********, eh?

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #25 of 95
Quote:

I posted my example on page one. Guess you didn't look at the whole thread and just felt like spouting some ********, eh?

Well, that example seems to be about ten minutes of Led Zeppelin's music, which clearly doesn't qualify as a guitar solo.

Unless of course, you worship every note Jimmy Page plays and call it "a guitar solo."

Oct 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #26 of 95
Isley Brothers - "Summer Breeze"  4:15 to end of track

Creedence Clearwater Revival - "I Put A Spell On You"  1:13 - 3:17

Jimi Hendrix - "Bold As Love" 2:53 to end of track

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #27 of 95
 I looked at the original template for the thread and to be more complete here it goes:

Artist:  White Stripes
Album: Elephant (2003)
Track:  Ball and Biscuit
Guitar Solo:  3:52 to 6:26

Jack White best guitarist of this generation.  I think his guitar must have melted on this solo.  The song is a series of  blues riffs strung together, but this was the longest and nastiest riff of them all

Artist:  Cream
Album:  Wheels of Fire (1968)
Track:  White Room
Guitar Solo:  4:00 to 4:54

I feel it has all of the classic Clapton elements. Ginger Baker on drums and Jack Bruce on Bass jamming to a signature song ending in one of Clapton's hottest licks.

Artist:  Dire Straits
Album:  Communique (1979)
Track:  Lady Writer
Guitar Solo:  3:08 to 3:42

Mark Knopfler at his best.  I've only seen him play this on one video.  He goes thru some major contortions on the video to hit all the notes. Looks like it must have been hard as hell to play live. Love the solos on the song there are two other shorter takes.  As far as I can find out never played this live beyond the early 80"s.

Artist:  Van Halen
Album:  Van Halen (1976)
Trac: Eruption
Gutar Solo :04 to 1:42 

The whole song is a guitar solo.  Eddie's intro to the music world.  The first "extended" guitar note tapping on record.  More precise and automated
when he does this live.  I actually like to watch him play in the process of a group better, but you have to respect this craziness on this initial solo.

Artist: James Gang
Album: Rides Again (1970)
Track :  Funk No. 49
Guitar Solo:  1:05 to 2:20

Hard to pin this solo down its more of a signature lik delivered throughout the song.  Joe still plays this in concert and he does it well.

Artist:  Led Zeppelin
Album:  IV (1971)
Track:  Rock and Roll
Guitar Solo:  :15 to 1:08

You can throw all the Led tracks in the air and pick a solo out that would qualify as great, but this one sticks out for me.  Straight ahead and no nonsense.

Artist:  Prince
Album:  Purple Rain (1984)
Track:  When Doves Cry
Guitar Solo:  :01 to :30

Great intro, great artist, and does not get his due as a great guitarist.

Artist:  Jimi Hendrix
Album:  Are You Experienced (1967)
Track:  Purple Haze
Guitar Solo:  :01 to :33

The entire album is great but this track with its famous intro line does it for me.

Artist:  Guns n'Roses
Album:  Appetite for Destruction (1987)
Track:  Rocket Queen
Guitar Solo:  5:15 to 5:50

My favorite song on the album.  The solo from Slash just adds more fun.

Artist:  Dire Straits:
Album:  Dire Straits (1978)
Track:  Sultans of Swing
Guitar Solo:  2:30 to 3:20

Knopfler's signature song and the solo towards the middle is the one I tend to think is the best.  When he does this live he alters the song a little so no one recorded version is the same.  Maybe a little obsessive.

Artist:  Pink Floyd
Album:  The Wall (1979)
Track:  Comfortably Numb
Guitar Solo:  4:13 to 6:15

My favorite Gilmour solo. A solo that takes off like a bird off the ground and soars over the audience when seen live. 

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #28 of 95
Quote:

Well, that example seems to be about ten minutes of Led Zeppelin's music, which clearly doesn't qualify as a guitar solo.

Unless of course, you worship every note Jimmy Page plays and call it "a guitar solo."

Did you not comprehend my response before? I'll say it again, to get a solid feel of the solo you should listen to the WHOLE song so you can fully grasp the atmosphere the guitarist is coming from. And no, I don't worship anyone.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #29 of 95
Quote:

Did you not comprehend my response before? I'll say it again, to get a solid feel of the solo you should listen to the WHOLE song so you can fully grasp the atmosphere the guitarist is coming from. And no, I don't worship anyone.

Why the heck do I need to listen to the "atmosphere the guitarist is coming from?"

Why not just listen to B.B. King or Billy Gibbons lay the cards on the deck? I don't need no stinkin' atmosphere...

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #30 of 95
Music is all about atmosphere, bro. I'm all about laying the cards down, but you're missing a piece of the story if you're skipping to the solo without hearing the rest of the song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back