your favorite cocktail?
Nov 19, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulllaser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good old fashioned classic cocktails. Burbon Manhattan, up with a stemmed cherry, Jim Beam or Maker's Mark and a Classic Sidecar - Hennessy, Cointreau, fresh lemon/lime juice, touch of something orange, perhaps Gran Marnier, and garnish with a sugar rimmed glass and toasted orange rind. The best to my taste can be had at the Lodge at Pebble Beach. Exquisite.

Really though, it's wine I really like!

what particular wine?

Nov 19, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #32 of 57
I used all my drink tickets given at birth in my first thirty years. Slightly obsessive compulsive i guess, that's why the headphone game is great, you can have it all, now.

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #34 of 57
One of my favorite cocktails for Summer is Absolut Currant with tonic and a slice of lemon. I also enjoy a gin and tonic, or a gin martini. I'm not a big whiskey drinker, at least in mixed drinks. I like my single malts with a single ice cube and a splash of water.

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maker's Mark Manhattan, Perfect, With a Cherry, Up

My mother-in-law's favorite cocktail! I always make them for her when we're visiting, and the two of us tie a couple on, old school.

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #38 of 57
i think the best cocktail lounge in NYC right now is the Pegu Club, on Houston St. All their ingredients and juices are handmade. It's like stepping into a Bogart movie... the drinks are that good.

I have sampled a half-dozen of their proprietary cocktails, and can't pick a favorite. But the Whiskey Smash comes to mind as particularly yummy.

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #39 of 57
Tanqueray 10 Martini up with a lime twist

Makers Mark and 7up

Captain and Coke

Purple Motherf***er

and occasionally for a lite drink I'll have a shot of Midori in a glass of 7up

Favorite shot: Snakebite (Chilled Yukon Jack with a splash of Rosie's Lime Juice)

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #44 of 57
The good 'ol Manhattan - but use good ingredients. There are good-yet-inexpensive whiskeys that are very well suited, like 100-proof Rittenhouse Bonded, or Wild Turkey Rye. For the red vermouth, Carpano Antica Formula or Vya, please. I prefer a 2.5:1 ratio for whiskey vs. vermouth, and be sure to shake in some bitters - Fee Old-Fashioned, Angostura, or Peychaud's, depending on mood.

Another favorite of mine, the Cocktail a la Louisiane, is kind of a hybrid between the Manhattan and the Sazerac:
  1. 3/4 oz. straight rye
  2. 3/4 oz. Bénédictine
  3. 3/4 oz. red vermouth (use something good!)
  4. 3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters
  5. 3 dashes pastis or a proper (French or Swiss) absinthe

If pastis (e.g. Pernod, Ricard, Herbsaint) or absinthe can't be found, ouzo or sambuca might work. I rinsed out a spent bitters bottle for the pastis.

Also in the Manhattan family, there's the Red Hook:
  1. 2 oz. straight rye
  2. 1/2 oz. maraschino liqueur
  3. 1/2 oz. Punt e Mes (a bittered vermouth)

That's the official recipe. I prefer a little more Punt e Mes and a little less maraschino.

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #45 of 57
mojito, with extra lime juice and mint!

tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back