Your favorite CD to recommend
Feb 6, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
I always recommend Gram Parsons - G.P / Grievous Angel

See my avatar <-----

It is wonderful (recently purchased). But in desperate need of remastering!

B000002LKH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Feb 6, 2004 at 9:29 PM Post #32 of 47
Soft Sax Vol.1 (Hallmark) (only for girls.... O.K. for boys too)

-9. all by myself

Feb 7, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #33 of 47
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

An album IMPOSSIBLE not to love! I guarantee it or your lunch money back.

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Trounce
The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

An album IMPOSSIBLE not to love! I guarantee it or your lunch money back.

I have to second this one. The main reason I picked it up was because it was on your best of 2003 list, and man... impossible not to like... liked it so much that I got Oh, Inverted World as well. Both are excellent.

I am currently addicted to the Shins and Rufus Wainwright. Lately they're pretty much all I listen to, aside from the standby MG and Radiohead albums.

Feb 8, 2004 at 1:36 PM Post #36 of 47
The Masters of jazz - 10 CD-set from Delta Music

1 - Glenn Miller & The Army Airforce Band
2 - Duke Ellington
3 - Tommy Dorsey
4 - Buddy Rich
5 - Jimmy Dorsey
6 - Les Brown & The Duke Blue Devils
7 - Benny Goodman
8 - Count Basie
9 - The Small Groups
10- Earl Hines

for JAZZ lovers

http://www.deltamusic.com/jazz_band.html

Feb 8, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #38 of 47
i usually recommend any of Nick Drake albums. amazingly Gifted songwriter, shame that he left this earth so soon. not a single weak track in his three albums.

Feb 9, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #39 of 47
I usually don't recomend anything to people unless they ask. Usually people don't like my recomendations...

That said, in an effort to keep my aging lawyer/sister as hip and cool as possible I have given her both Neutral Milk Hotel albums and Sigur Ros' (). She claims to like all of them and refers to Sigur Ros as "Icelandic Enya"
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #41 of 47
here are a few of my favorite reccomendations (i'll limit it to 3):

Ralph Myerz and the Jack Herren Band - A Special Album: a very enjoyable album, ambient/chill music. The cover photo cracks me up every time I see it!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Auk9ks38wa3mg

North Mississippi Allstars - Shake Hands with Shorty: a bluesy rock album, I never get tired of listening to this.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Azyc8b5x49sq0

and my most recent fav:

The Fire Theft - The Fire Theft: I like this album because of one song: "It's Over", track 10. One of those songs you just find yourself wanting to listen to first thing every day. Oh yeah, the rest of the album is also pretty good
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=A7xmyxdfb4old

Feb 9, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #42 of 47
Hmmm,

Let's see:

If someone wants some quirky, satirical, or off the weird end rock, I recommend Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, We're Only in it for the Money .

If someone wants Christian music that really cooks, I recommend Phil Keaggy's Crimson and Blue.

If someone wants great Italian classical as well as other standards type music that the Lady and the Tramp could slurp speghetti to, I recommend Quartetto Gelato (any of this amazing quartet's music is simply great).

If someone wants heart tearing classical, I recommend Gorecki's Symphony No. 3

If someone wants to hear possibly the best garage band of all time, I recommend The Flamin Grovies Teenage Head

If someone wants some music which is blue-grass, jazz, reggae, classical influenced and is led by a banjo player and includes all great musicians - I recommend Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Live Art.

For punk newsters, I recommend punk oldsters like X and the Clash, respectively Wild Gift and London Calling.

Feb 9, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #43 of 47
I said it before and I'll say it again: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds "The Boatman's Call" Fantasic audiophile recording. And it's rock, too! (Well, slow ballads...)

Recent stuff? Frank Zappa "Live at the Roxy and Elsewhere" Fantastic musicianship!

Feb 13, 2004 at 7:48 PM Post #44 of 47
Cage - Movies For The Blind, i got pretty much every one at my work listening to Cage. They thought eminem was the first white rapper that did not give a f#%k. Intil they heard Cage! People don't even like rap, but now there are listening to Cage.
cage_shooting_061303.jpg

Feb 13, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #45 of 47
Acoustic Alchemy - Back on the Case

I own about 10 of their albums and this one still stands out as the best. Their guitar work is stunningly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back