Your favorite cd of the year!
Nov 23, 2001 at 4:12 PM Post #77 of 92
After looking through all the cd's I purchased this year only five were put out in 2001. Far and away the best of these was

Gillian Welch 'Time (The Revelator)".

This album is a really radical departure from someone who is considered a country artist. I think David Rawlings who co-wrote all the songs should probably have equal billing. His acoustic guitar work on this album is really great.

Nov 26, 2001 at 3:52 AM Post #78 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
Other: Rebecca Pidgeon's The Raven [/B]

It's '94
It doesn't make it bad though
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2001 at 4:35 AM Post #79 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by ridkfri
After looking through all the cd's I purchased this year only five were put out in 2001. Far and away the best of these was

Gillian Welch 'Time (The Revelator)".

This album is a really radical departure from someone who is considered a country artist. I think David Rawlings who co-wrote all the songs should probably have equal billing. His acoustic guitar work on this album is really great.

ridkfri,

Yes, I agree that Time (The Revelator) is an excellent album, and also one of my choices.

Nov 26, 2001 at 6:55 PM Post #80 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I can honestly say Linkin Park's album is my favorite for this year, there hasn't been too many "must haves" this year
frown.gif

George

you make me sick.
very_evil_smiley.gif

ps. Sigur Ros - Ágætis byrjun

Nov 26, 2001 at 8:44 PM Post #82 of 92
Hmm.....I think I may have found two new possible favs. from this year.........waiting for the order........

- Talvin Singh (Ha!)
- Badmarsh & Shri (Signs)

Both 2001 releases........and both Asian Underground..........sorta, dancey music with a very asian twist...............

Nov 26, 2001 at 8:56 PM Post #83 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Daniel

you make me sick.
very_evil_smiley.gif

ps. Sigur Ros - Ágætis byrjun

HUH?

George

Nov 27, 2001 at 12:16 AM Post #84 of 92
Quote:

Originally posted by Daniel
Sigur Ros - Ágætis byrjun

That was 2000, dude. But that's okay, still better album than most of the schlock that came out this year. Can't wait for the next one. I think it's already on of my favorites of 2002.

Dec 8, 2001 at 8:29 AM Post #85 of 92
By a long shot I'd say "Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives" by Prefuse73, aka Scott Herren, whose other projects include the brilliant Delarosa and Asora (which fans of Tortoise et al. should not miss) and Savath and Savalas (which has a nice downbeat sound but isn't essential). The Prefuse73 album is amazing. It's like hip-hop chopped up into little slivers and lovingly recompiled into something totally new.

Other albums I liked this year:

Delarosa and Asora: "Agony" (aforementioned)
Marumari: "Supermogadon"
Radiohead: "Amnesiac"
Tortoise: "Standards"
Stereolab: "Sound Dust"
Autechre: "Confield"
Squarepusher: "Go Plastic"
Red House Painters: "Old Ramon"
Aphex Twin: "DrukQs"

Dec 8, 2001 at 6:05 PM Post #86 of 92
My top three albums of the year are as follows, in no particular order:

Pulp - Trees
Muse - Origin of Symmetry (impressive work from a band whose previous album was a piece of wannabe Radiohead junk)
Turin Brakes - The Optimist LP

Dec 10, 2001 at 2:39 PM Post #88 of 92
Thanks to the RIAA doing test marketing of copy-protected CDs that can't be ripped (99% of my listening is through MP3s) I have only bought one *new* CD this year. It's pretty good but not the *best* ever.

That CD:

Oysterhead

Now, the my favorite CD I bought this year would have to be split between two...

The Beatles, "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band"
and
The Who, "Quadrophenia"

Both were bought at a local used CD shop that had quite the vinyl collection (biggest I've seen in years in a retail shop).

Dec 10, 2001 at 9:01 PM Post #89 of 92
I found the best CD of 2001, by far IMO.

"Realize" by Karsh Kale..........very very very beautiful music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back