Your favorite American rock band of the late 60's/early 70's
Jul 25, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #17 of 33
The most influential American Bands in the Mid 60's through the Mid 70's were in time order:

The Byrds - Most influential band of this period and most Popular. Even exceeded the Beatles and all others in popularity for a short period of time in the 60's. Crosby, Stills, Nash, & even Young followed their lead.

The Jefferson Airplane - Extremely influential for a short period of time Leading to the whole Psychedelic era.

The Doors - Groundbreaking sound. Melodic Blues Rock steeped in a Psychedelic stew. Cream and others followed.

The Greatful Dead - Very influential during this period and most durable and long lasting group out of this very rich period.

Allman Brothers Band - Most influential American band of the early 70's. Defined and developed the music genre and sound of the period.

So if given the selction option I would choose The Byrds as the greatest most influential band of this era.
cool.gif

Since they aren't on your list, I would choose The Allmans Brothers Band as they were truly the most influential American Band of the early 70's.
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #19 of 33
For me it's

The Doors

Followed in equal second place ( & if we're only talking US/Canadian here, & no solos/duos):
Love
The Dead
The Airplane
The Velvet Underground
The Mothers of Invention
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band
Spirit
The Band
Sly and The Family Stone
The Byrds

and in third:
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
The Fugs
Quicksilver Messenger Service (Happy Trails? C'mon...)
Steve Miller Band (early, before they went stadium)
HP Lovecraft
Big Brother & The Holding Company
The United States of America

That'll do for now
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #23 of 33
I voted the last one cuz I don't know who Jefferson Airplane is. But even so, I think it's a tie between Grateful Dead and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chicago, but they are not on the list.

which Chicago?

the original Chicago of the first few albums with Terry Kath on guitar, or the soft-rock Chicago they later became?

Jul 26, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which Chicago?

the original Chicago of the first few albums with Terry Kath on guitar, or the soft-rock Chicago they later became?

Original.

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by 04BluMach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most influential American Bands in the Mid 60's through the Mid 70's were in time order:

The Byrds - Most influential band of this period and most Popular. Even exceeded the Beatles and all others in popularity for a short period of time in the 60's. Crosby, Stills, Nash, & even Young followed their lead.

The Jefferson Airplane - Extremely influential for a short period of time Leading to the whole Psychedelic era.

The Doors - Groundbreaking sound. Melodic Blues Rock steeped in a Psychedelic stew. Cream and others followed.

The Greatful Dead - Very influential during this period and most durable and long lasting group out of this very rich period.

Allman Brothers Band - Most influential American band of the early 70's. Defined and developed the music genre and sound of the period.

So if given the selction option I would choose The Byrds as the greatest most influential band of this era.
cool.gif

Since they aren't on your list, I would choose The Allmans Brothers Band as they were truly the most influential American Band of the early 70's.
wink.gif

Not the most influential, your favorite.

Could this era have stood out because the drugs were the best?

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not the most influential, your favorite.

Could this era have stood out because the drugs were the best?

Or most baby boomers in their teens?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back