your favorite 80's songs
Jul 18, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #31 of 47
I love the jerky 80's post punk dance stuff like Talking Heads - Born Under Punches. Or Cure's - Hot hot Hot

Great stuff, those tracks end up getting repeated about 20 times after I listen to them once.

Jul 18, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Hated the first, loved the second. I think it was the video that ruined the Helix song. They were slaves in a rock quarry with chains and hammers if I recall.
tongue.gif

I didn't say they'd be "good" memories. Yes, I bought this album based on seeing the video. Yes, I listened to the album, for a while. and yes, the tape has gathered dust somewhere in my collection for probably 20 years... LOL. No accounting for the tastes of a 13/14 year old boy.

-jar

Jul 18, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #34 of 47
whoa i definitely forgot a lot. we have some true 80's fans here.

is it just me or some bands like the Pixies i just can't consider to be an "80's" group...yknow?... but they rule and Debaser should be on any all time greatest songs list imo.

also, i can't believe i forgot...

Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire

...does anyone remember the music video?? man, 80's had some great music videos now that i think about it.

sad, i can't even make myself watch MTV anymore...

Jul 18, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Hmm I thought it was the other way around, that "Cries and Whispers" was on the EP, guess I'll have to change things around a bit.
rolleyes.gif

You know that weird synth sound that opens "Procession" ? Frontline Assembly used it for a track on one of their songs.. can't remember right now which one it was, but it was unmistakeable when I heard it.

there is no end to this, i have seen your face but i don't recognize all these things.. you must have left behind...

sometimes I wish I could go back in time to those first few weeks I was getting into Joy Division and early New Order stuff.. that was like, a drug. Probably the most I had ever been "intoxicated" by music. I couldn't get enough. I still to his day have never come across a music that was so, how do I put it, pungent. Such a singular, pointed musical vision. And it wasn't like, it took me a few months to get into the "New Order" sound, it was instantaneous. From the first time I heard them, something reached into my mind and just planted itself. The highlight of every party was when they/we/I spun "Blue Monday" or "Bizarre Love Triangle."

If anyone is a Mahler fan, it's a similar idea. Listen to 2 or 3 seconds and it's unmistakeable. No one else could have made that music.

-jar

heh... for the longest time i thought "Mesh" was "Cries and Whispers" and vice versa myself. it took me a long time to finally get it around in my head. Steve Morris confirmed that the SUBSTANCE tracklisting was wrong in the RETRO liner notes.

i actually got into Joy Division before New Order. i had bought SUBSTANCE because of hearing "Atmosphere" on a mixed tape... and i fell in love. went out and bought JD's whole catalog... loved Unknown Pleasures instantly but Closer took a longer to grow on me. when the JD collection was exhausted, i started on New Order, buying a used MOVEMENT and POWER CORRUPTION AND LIES (original Factory CD pressing with the colour wheel in the back, and without "Blue Monday" and "The Beach") in one day. went back home and listened to MOVEMENT first late at night... i'll never forget that moment... it was indescribable... you're right in saying that it was "intoxicating." i've been through a few albums/artists that gave me that same feeling the first time i hear them, but still not as powerful as New Order's MOVEMENT and PC&L.

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #36 of 47
Haircut 100, "Favourite Shirt (Boy Meets Girl)" -- horns!
Pigbag, "Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag" -- even more horns!!
Ministry, "(Everyday Is) Halloween"
Smiths, "Bigmouth Strikes Again"
Cocteau Twins, "Fifty-Fifty Clown"
Throwing Muses (too many to name)
Roxy Music, "More Than This"
Yaz, "Situation"
Sugarcubes, "Motorcrash" and "Birthday"
The The, "Uncertain Smile"
Big Black, "Racer-X"
Dead Kennedys, "California uber Alles"
Faith No More, "We Care a Lot"
Public Image Ltd., "This Is Not a Love Song"

Some cover songs --
Communards, "Don't Leave Me This Way"
Depeche Mode, "Route 66"
English Beat, "Tears of a Clown"
Fine Young Cannibals, "Ever Fallen in Love"
This Mortal Coil, "Song to the Siren"

Hmm, lots of 4AD and dance club stuff on the list. Now I remember how I spent the decade.
600smile.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #37 of 47
Metaliica – For Whom The Bell Tolls
Faith No More - Epic
Michael Jackson – Billie Jean
Van Halen – Jump
Prince – When Doves Cry
The Police – Every Breath You Take
Air Supply – Making Love Out of Nothing At All
Hall & Oates – Out of Touch
Garth Brooks – The Dance
Ozzy Osbourne – Crazy Train
Phil Collins – Something Happened on the Way to Heaven
ABBA – Super Trouper
Aerosmith – Love in an Elevator
Quiet Riot – Cum on Feel the Noize
Def Leppard – Pour Some Sugar on Me
Reba McEntire – Rumor Has It
John Mellencamp – Ain’t Even Done With the Night
Madonna – Like A Virgin
Duran Duran – New Moon On Monday
Blondie – Rapture
Scorpions – Big City Nights
Motley Crue – Wild Side
Pink Floyd – Another Brick in the Wall (part 2)
Jackson Browne – Somebody’s Baby
Bon Jovi – Livin’ on a Prayer

Jul 19, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by pframe
Hmm, lots of 4AD and dance club stuff on the list. Now I remember how I spent the decade.
600smile.gif

Mmm 4ad.

I recently picked up a pretty obscure 4ad Title.. it's called SLEEPS WITH FISHES by Peter Noonen and Michael Brook. Michael Brook is a guitarist that has worked with Brian Eno and David Sylvian, I really enjoy his work. Peter Noonen was with Clan of Xymoxx, so this is sort of an ambient collaboration, very atmospheric.

My other rare 4ad item is a vinyl copy of X-Mal Deutschland's first album FETISCH. It's some pretty raw and primitive goth music, similar to early Siouxsie.

-jar

Jul 19, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #39 of 47
Bronski Beat - Why
Dead or Alive - You spin me round
Indeep - Last night a Dj saved my life
Falco - Der Kommissar
Nena - 99 Luftballons
New order - Blue Monday
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams

I was young then, you know....

Jul 19, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #40 of 47
I liked a lot of stuff out of the 80's. I particularly miss the wealth of love songs that dominated popular music at the time. Where did they all go?!? It seems like now all we have it hate and angst.
frown.gif

I also really liked all the cheesy fun dance songs like "Come on Eileen", "You Spin Me Round", "The Safety Dance", and "Take on Me".
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
Mmm 4ad.

I recently picked up a pretty obscure 4ad Title.. it's called SLEEPS WITH FISHES by Peter Noonen and Michael Brook. Michael Brook is a guitarist that has worked with Brian Eno and David Sylvian, I really enjoy his work. Peter Noonen was with Clan of Xymoxx, so this is sort of an ambient collaboration, very atmospheric.

My other rare 4ad item is a vinyl copy of X-Mal Deutschland's first album FETISCH. It's some pretty raw and primitive goth music, similar to early Siouxsie.

-jar

I'll be on the lookout for Sleeps with Fishes. Sounds cool.

Thanks, jar.

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #43 of 47
Too many. Perhaps all of them.

Yello, "Oh Yeah", "Domingo"...
Herbie Hancock, "Rock It"
most of Depeche Mode
lots of other electro-pop -- OMD, Human League, Gary Numan, B-Movie, Red Flag, Kraftwerk (actually, very little of theirs was actually released in the 80's), Buggles, stuff like that.

Legendary Pink Dots!

Lots of 90's type stuff that came out in 89

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #44 of 47
AC/DC "Let's Get It Up"
Scorpions "No, No, No"
Def Leppard "Switch 625"

Didn't want this thead to die quite yet.

Jul 20, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
AC/DC "Let's Get It Up"
Scorpions "No, No, No"
Def Leppard "Switch 625"

Didn't want this thead to die quite yet.

I think Def Leppard did "No, No, No" as well
icon10.gif

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back