Your Dream Setup....
Mar 31, 2005 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TheReds

100+ Head-Fier
What would be your guys dream setup, if its something completely crazy, or the setup you have now...if money was no object what would you choose?

Cheers!
eggosmile.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 16
Meridian GO8
Blue Hawaii
Sennheiser Orpheus
Nordost Valhalla cables all around

Mar 31, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 16
Source: VPI TNT HR-X Turntable
Cartridge: Lyra Titan
Phono Stage: Aesthetix Rhea
Amplification: E.A.R. V20
Headphones: AKG K1000

Mar 31, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #6 of 16
Transport: Wadia 270se
Computer Interface: Sonos (haven't used it, but it seems ultra-sweet)
DAC: Wadia 27ix v3.0

Preamp: none
Amps: completely undecided. Perhaps Pass Labs XA.

Speakers: Avalon Eidolon Diamond.

Cables: Kubala-Sosna Emotion.

Power: PS Audio regeneration, dedicated lines

Headamp: Headroom Blockhead, with custom dual remote volume control
Headphones: HD-650 w/ Silver Dragon (actually own those)

Mar 31, 2005 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 16
EMU 0404, Rotel RA-01, Beyerdynamic DT531.... oh, it already appears I have it
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I dont really lust after anything these days, pretty happy with what I have.
eek.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 16
When my new speakers (Omega Minuets) arrive in a couple weeks... I should pretty much have my dream system worked out.

But what (may?) be even cooler, is a set of vintage monoblock tube amps, a bit more powerful altogether than what I have right now, with some Vandersteen 2Ce's or a similar larger three or four way speakers, with a nice tube DAC. Although I have been reading a lot about horns and high-efficiency speakers lately...

But for now, my dream system is what I have, centered around the good qualities of my vintage Luxman amp and the wonderful tubes in there at the moment. Even with mediocre speakers I am in audio bliss, despite a little less volume than I'd always like. I am hoping the new full-range driver speakers will add extra percieved volume I am looking for to make my personal bedroom dream setup complete.

As for headphones, I actually really adore my 650's/Zu, despite how bright and fatigueing they seem at times to my ears. I may order an all-copper cable to experiment with to reduce brightness, but I still like them a lot the way they are. It's possible I'm just spoiled by the experience of listening to speakers, which for me, is a bit more natural and enjoyable overall than using headphones. Although I guess my 580's were easier to listen to, but they were nowhere nearly as good as my 650's.

As for source, the 1212M is just remarkable sounding, and what's also amazing is the ability for me to compress and organize all my music on hard drives.

Larry makes excellent cables at headphile.com that I am using right now (BlackMax - solid silver and copper magnet wire.)

Mar 31, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 16
David Murray - tenor saxophone
Herbie Hancock - piano
Dave Holland - bass
Jack DeJohnette - drums

...in my living room. Okay, if we're really dreaming, sub John Coltrane on tenor and Charles Mingus on bass.

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 16
I want all my CD's and hard drive files to become original 24bit/192kHz recordings produced by people who actually care. If that's possible, I don't care if you give me the cheapest DVD-A player with Sonic Impact amp. I'll need my K1000, though, naturally
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 16
I would like my iPod to have a useable EQ, to be even smaller, with my Super Macro built in, and the 4 feature switched activated through the UI, and some UE-10s, and a 1TB HD so I can store my music library in uncompressed format. . .

and Mingus in my living room would make a nice home system.

Mar 31, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 16
...ok, how about apple releasing an ipod with a built in line & video out, support for FLAC, color screen (on every model), that focused as much on sound quality as it did on looks, 1 TB harddrive, and a par (personal audio recorder, just made that up) for recieving XM, Sirus, FM, and AM radio.

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 16
Give me an HD300/PPX3-6SN7 and some HD650's and I'll be happy. Oh, and maybe some decent IC's that I can use with my Karma's dock
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Give me an HD300/PPX3-6SN7 and some HD650's and I'll be happy. Oh, and maybe some decent IC's that I can use with my Karma's dock
smily_headphones1.gif

how about some Pure Silver cable wrapped in Techflex with some Eichmann Bullets for that Karma dock?
cool.gif

Apr 1, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
how about some Pure Silver cable wrapped in Techflex with some Eichmann Bullets for that Karma dock?
cool.gif

Yeah that would work, I always liked those Eichman's...

I guess I could get a custom cable for my EMU as well, I mean...it IS my dream setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back