Your dog or your gear, which one will you choose?
Jul 6, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #16 of 69
Yeah, who are the 10 jerks who voted to save replaceable electronic material over something living and breathing?
rolleyes.gif

I'd save the meanest ugliest dog over audio gear. I mean, even if I didn't want the dog to live with us, or didn't like it personally, it doesn't deserve to die because of it.

I hope those that hate their dogs consider re-homing them. You can always call the breeder for help there, or use a rescue group, or even the SPCA (preferably a no-kill shelter if there's one in your area). Seriously, if you pick gear over a living being, you got issues, and don't need an animal in your house. You and the animal would be better off to part ways.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #19 of 69
Audio gear is cheaper to keep up.

Jul 6, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #20 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
But if the home is burning down and I can only grab one thing other than the wife, it'll be the pets. I can always re-buy headphone gear, even the more rare out of production headphones I have. Sure it wouldn't be cheap, but they ARE replaceable.

-Ed

Huh, I actually realized I keep my GS1000 in its case close to the window fire escape in my room. Subconscious desire to save my babies?

In a fire though... kitty cat first. Grados second.

Jul 6, 2006 at 8:52 PM Post #21 of 69
All our dog does is pee everywhere and whine all the time. Oh and he is old and smelly. Guess which one I voted.
tongue.gif

Biggie.

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #23 of 69
You guys are making it seem like that if you chose to keep one, the other would be destroyed.

No, all he asked was "which would you keep? your dogs or your audio gear"

There are a number of things you could do. 1. Give the dog to a really good friend. 2. Give the audio gear to a really good friend 3. This is the best one, IMO. If you have a wife, tell her you are "giving" her your audio equipment, but they are just going to stay where they are for "safe keeping". Or vice versa.
k1000smile.gif

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #24 of 69
This is a natural way of looking at things today. The world is a zero sum game. Someone increases their wealth (pleasure, enjoyment of life) at the expense of someone else, right! So therefore, it is natural to think that you have one or the other but not both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
You guys are making it seem like that if you chose to keep one, the other would be destroyed.

No, all he asked was "which would you keep? your dogs or your audio gear"

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #26 of 69
How could anyone vote audio gear? I think a prerequisite should be that any voters actually have pets. If they do and voted audio gear, I bet when that fire is burning they change their mind
wink.gif
A few terrified yelps will make anyone drop their gear and turn back.

Money can be made - I think the costs of this hobby automatically qualifiy most of us as reasonably successful, so we can replace all our gear relatively quickly. A life only happens once.

--Illah

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:24 PM Post #27 of 69
Dog first,then the wife can help save the music collection.
Thinks- my dog must be reading this , he's just come up to me and given me a big wet slobbery kiss.

Jul 6, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barock
Sorry, but until Fido learns to play Mozart and Bach, the audio gear stays...

I hope he doesn't.

LOL - Well let's put it this way, if you choose your gear over your pet, then please act on that, and let the pet go to a family that will love it.

And if you find you can't train your dog then what my granddad said (he bred and trained pointers) comes to mind, "You can't train a dog if the dog's smarter than you."
wink.gif

If this is a continuation of the dogs eating headphones thread, then the command we found useful is "cut." It sounds different than the blanket "no" and it tends to come out of the mouth in an authoritarian (not to say mean) way. Pixie has always chosen for herself when to listen to "no" (admittedly our fault, but then again, she is a dachshund), but she has understood "cut" from day one.

Of course it all stems on the proper positive response from you. The dog leaves it alone, or looks to you to say "Oh, ok, what then, never heard that one before?" and so you need to tell it that it understood correctly. We've found that "thank you" works well because it naturally comes out the mouth sounding positive. Also, depending on how much of a problem the dog has, making a big deal of it with "What a good girl!" would just go over the top. A simple thank you seems to get the right response of "Oh right, ok.."

But you can't train a dog if the dog's smarter than you.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back