Your Current Headphone Collection
Jan 9, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #16 of 27
My headphone stash:

IMG_1875.jpg
AKG Stash: AKG K500, K400 (early), K400 (later), K240 Sextett, K240 Monitors (Austria) x2

I started getting in to AKG last year when I purchase a pair of AKG K240 600 Ohm Monitors (Austria). Went home, listened to some 70's, 80's music and they just sounded right. Perhaps these we used in the studios back then? Then I got hooked buying different versions / variants in the AKG K240 Line. I really enjoy the Sextett's sound the most.

I read reviews on the K400 and K500, but you really need to try them for yourself as everybody has certain preferences. I purchased 2 variants of the K400, then the two of the K500 and to my ears, I prefer the sound of the early K400.

IMG_1876.jpg
Planars: Audeze LCD-2 Black Aluminum Fazor, Vegan pads, band. HifiMan HE-400i, Stax Gamma

The Stax Gamma I purchased in the early 90's and still use them now and then. With some high end tube gear, I still prefer them over the Audeze and Hifiman. I ran these with vintage Audio Research, Luxman and Conrad Johnson tube gear.

I purchased the Audeze to see what the fuzz was all about. I enjoy them and use them on occasion, but their weight can get to me. I might have to get the carbon head band upgrade or see if Audeze will sell me the LCD-2c band as I would like more long term comfort. These can be a bit laid back which brings me to the Hifiman HE-400i.

I purchased the HE-400i for the occasions that I wanted a bit less weight than the LCD-2 as well as a bit more energy in the upper mids and highs. They fit the bill, but they are not as dynamic or resolving as the LCD-2. These are usually my go to headphones.

IMG_1877.jpg
Some Grado Love: SR-325e, SR-125, SR-60is

My first pair of Grado headphones was in 1996? A pair of SR-80. I used them at work 8 hours a day for years and would let co-workers borrow them as they had no idea how good headphones could sound.

The SR-125 took me a while to appreciate as they seem to have less of the "in your face" sound, but I ended up liking them quite a bit.

The SR-60is I had purchased for use with portable audio. Decent sound, but I prefer the SR-80is.

I purchased the SR-325e shortly after it was announced as I really wanted to see what the new drivers had to offer. I can't stand them with the L pads ( yeah, I let a fried borrow my SR-60is which have the L pads, which is why they show in the photo). The comfy pads are ok, but the TTVJ deluxe pads to my ears make them sound better. I might consider selling these to upgrade to the RS-2e as I do find the aluminum a bit heavy on long listening sessions.

IMG_1878.jpg
Oakley Thump Pros (x2) for bike riding, Shure SE-846 and Westone 4 iems, Sennheiser HD-25, ATH-M50x (take to work), Philips Fidelio X2 (movies/gaming).

Oakley Thump Pro sunglasses with built in MP3 player and earbuds. I was mounting biking 120 miles per week when I bought these and I used these to have some tunes without wires getting caught in branches or dangling around. Predates wireless units. They actually sound decent.

Shure SE-846. I had to buy these. 4 drivers per side with years of research and development from a company with quite a bit of experience. I was looking at the SE-535 at the time and when I was going to pull the trigger, the SE-846 came out, so I bought those instead. Quite happy with them and very revealing, though I find something some sort of overlap between the sub-bass and bass drivers that distracts me on certain tracks. I was into high end car audio for years and the mid-bass region was always the hardest to get right, so I guess I'm sensitive to this.

Westone 4 - I simply wanted to have a pair of Westone iems. Early 4 driver version. I like the mids, but they can be a bit rolled off on the highs. I use these when I want to listen to rock as it tames bright sounding tracks.

Sennheiser HD-25 - The HD-25 took me by surprise. They don't look like much and the drivers are small, they go over the ear with a bit too much clamping pressure, but the mids on these are outstanding. They have plenty of detail without being overly bright and the bass is decent and fast. I don't think I'll ever part with these. They are also easy to drive.

Audio Technical ATH-M50x. These are my work friendly headphones in office environments. They are comfy, easy to drive with an MP3 player / phone. My least audiophile set, but they serve their purpose.

Philips Fidelio X-2, I use these mostly for watching movies and occasional gaming. Velour pads for comfort, decent soundstage and good bass. A bit of a V-shaped sound signature, but decent overall.

Status Audio CB-1 was on sale on eBay for $44 with free shipping. I wanted to see what a value set of headphones could do these days. I actually like them more than the ATH-M50x. At their retail price of $79 they are a good value, and for what I paid, I could not pass on them.

B&O A8 - I like the way they look and how they adjust but they hardly have any bass. So yes, I got them for their looks. I also have various B&O gear at home... since they do look nice.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #17 of 27
The rules of this thread are simple, Head-fi.

You must take each of the headphones in your collection and explain why it is in your collection.

I am mostly interested in your CURRENTLY owned headphones, not ones you plan on buying or ones you have sold off.

There's got to be reasons why your collection is as it is, so let's hear them!

I currently have;
Beyerdynamic T70 250 ohm; I use it for critical listening/analyzing recordings and it never fails to amaze me..I always hear something different in the same recordings every time I use it.
Fostex TH-X00 Purple Heart; I use the TH-X00 exclusively for gaming and watching movies, due to it having more bass quantity though not necessarily better quality than the T70.
AKG Q701; I rarely use the Q701 as I don't really need it but it is very natural sounding and scales brilliantly with higher-end amps.
Audio Technica ATH-M50X; I bought the ATH-M50X to use only for music making/recording. For this particular purpose, it is the most practical and best sounding headphone i've heard in it's price category.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #18 of 27
The rules of this thread are simple, Head-fi.

You must take each of the headphones in your collection and explain why it is in your collection.

I am mostly interested in your CURRENTLY owned headphones, not ones you plan on buying or ones you have sold off.

There's got to be reasons why your collection is as it is, so let's hear them!

Collection (from the Latin collectio - collection, collection) - a systematic collection of objects, united by a specific feature, having internal integrity and belonging to a specific owner - a private person, organization, the state.
And I showed almost a full collection of thematic
1. Headphones AT
2. With wooden cups
3. Available from me
there is not enough only 1 ares - АТХ-L3000

I did not show all the headphones I had.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #19 of 27
Sennheiser Momentum M1 - This is where I began back then. I used it mainly for studying during my part-time MBA, and it was isolated enough and had a great sound. I could use it in the library and my neighbour wouldn't hear a thing. This was eons ago.

Sennheiser HD800S - MY reference point. I didn't like anything else I heard then, and this one seemed to me to be THE reference sound I was looking for. The wide soundstage, and the lean bass response (note: lean means "focused" here, not "low") were what I wanted. They were also the most comfortable I had tried. This is the set I use for recording music.

Sony Z1R - I wanted a closed set so I could sit and listen next to my sleeping kids and not wake them up. It was also low impedance, meaning I could take it anywhere around the house with just a phone (before I got my DAP). I also enjoyed the sound very much, after comparing it to several other closed cans, including Sony's own Z7.

Audio Technica ADX5000 - I have no idea why I have this. No, really. I did some research beforehand, and I found the potential of this to be extremely tempting. Then I heard it in the store during an overseas trip, and the sound got me. It had the mids that the HD800S was missing, and had better bass response too. It also has a more "correct" sound image compared to the HD800S, which is unnaturally wide at times. But the trebles are a little prominent, so I can't listen to this one too much for long hours. But I do, since I have the Loki. They are extremely comfortable, since they're so light. But sound-wise, I could've stuck to my HD800S and be very happy with it. If only I didn't find this during my holidays. Lol.

Jan 22, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #20 of 27
MYrn21L.jpg

Microsoft Xbox Stereo Headset
Needed a closed set of headphones to not annoy the GF when watching videos or gaming, and something with a microphone that I didn't mind getting slightly thrashed. Get the job done.

Audio Technica ATH-M70x

When I started my Audio Engineering course (to justify new gear, of course), I bought these for mixing on the go/campus and became my workhorse. Everyone has the M50x, I'm really not a fan of how they sound, auditioned the M70x and was thoroughly impressed, much more balanced.

Audio Technica ATH-R70x

After getting the M70x, I really wanted a nice, neutral open headphone for mixing at home. I always looked at the R70x, not being able to justify the purchase (broke-ass uni student). Entered a competition in a magazine, heard nothing for a year, then boom, I won them. Love the feel and sound of these for mixing music, so open and revealing. But just like the M70x, these are a tool.

Hifiman HE400
I'd always been into audio, and always wanted some high end headphones. These are my first "high quality" gear purchase. I was enthralled the with the sound, that great planar bass. When I want to listen to music, I grab these. Or gaming when I don't need to talk to anyone. Pad changes are a breeze, currently got the HM5 angled hybrids, improved bass further and presented a more forward image. No grills open up the soundstage further (how I currently have mine). Sorbothane is on its way...

Hifiman RE400
First set of semi-decent IEMs. Feel flimsy, sound muddy when compared to similarly priced gear. Used for over 2 years with no faults though. Relegated to use for when mowing the lawn.

Audio Technica ATH-E40
My upgrade from the RE400. Love the detail they present, over ear design and build quality. The bulky housings make silicone tips a no go. Comply 500 foam tips have transformed these from something I enjoyed the sound of but was constantly fiddling with to get a proper seal, to something I regularly wear for hours without adjustment.

Jan 22, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #21 of 27
The open-backs:
19E7A4F9-6BFB-4DF7-8C25-006158972991.jpeg

Beyerdynamic Amiron Home: The headphone I have owned the longest of my current line up. Very well-extended in both the treble and bass with nice body and dynamics. Very clean and transparent sounding, this headphone is a chameleon. Very effortless sound. Very comfortable, has by far the most use of the headphones in the list. My best open back in terms of sound fidelity and sound quality. This is my reference in terms of modern headphones.

Sennheiser HD 660 S: The newest headphone on the list and the most comfortable overall to me. Nice forward and full sounding mids with an engagement factor I haven't found in the other HD 6xx headphones. Softest treble of all my headphones. Currently my most used headphone due to comfort and it's full detailed midrange. Very pleasant listen. Not as resolving or extended as the Amiron Home.

The closed-backs:
1E988808-433B-420C-8348-860545AD95BB.jpeg

Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohms(modded, stock in picture though):
This is my main reference headphone, this headphone is the definition of transparency and effortlessness to my ears. This is without question my best headphone in terms of sound fidelity it outclasses my other headphones, completely different level of transparency, detail, and speed. It's also the oldest, heaviest, and most uncomfortable. When I want to listen to a headphone that offers a level of detail and speed the rest of the headphones I own can't hope to achieve to completely break down and analyze a recording this is the headphone I use. This headphone easily reproduces and easily makes audible details that are masked in any other headphone I ever owned and it's impossible to make sound muddy no matter how complicated the track is. It's my most organic and effortless sounding headphone with the most real body and tactility/physicality to the sound, everything else sounds strained, grainy, and bloated. Doesn't have much bass presence at all in stock form and needs a bit of work, but the dynamics and bass slam it can output when modded to create a proper seal is insane, I have never experienced dynamics that can outright scare me with their force like on this headphone. If you want to hear whats wrong with your headphones, spend a few days with these and go back and it will be clear as day. Takes some initial adjusting to the sound, sounds completely different than essentially any other headphone. I listen to these the least due to the comfort and the fact it kinda ruins the sound of my other headphones if I spend too much time with them, can only tolerate the Amirons if I spend a lot of time with these. Solid aluminum driver with an unique magnet design that is only shared with the DT 48. It's my least fatiguing headphone I own in terms of sound. Sound isn't quite right in stock form due to poor seal(the better the seal, the better the sound) and too little dampening.

Kinda gushed a bit too much over these, but these headphones completely changed my understanding of audio reproduction.

M&O M00H-BE00BT: The bluetooth headphone, it uses an beryllium-coated driver. Most bass presence of my headphones but has excellent mids and highs. Musical, detailed, and lively. Mainly used in wireless mode but always seems to surprise me with it's sound, I get the feeling I underestimate these due to their price and the fact they do feel a bit cheaper than my other headphones. Comfort is 3rd, not uncomfortable like the DT 480 but not all-day comfort like the HD 660 S or Amiron Home.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #22 of 27
The open-backs:

Beyerdynamic Amiron Home: The headphone I have owned the longest of my current line up. Very well-extended in both the treble and bass with nice body and dynamics. Very clean and transparent sounding, this headphone is a chameleon. Very effortless sound. Very comfortable, has by far the most use of the headphones in the list. My best open back in terms of sound fidelity and sound quality. This is my reference in terms of modern headphones.

Sennheiser HD 660 S: The newest headphone on the list and the most comfortable overall to me. Nice forward and full sounding mids with an engagement factor I haven't found in the other HD 6xx headphones. Softest treble of all my headphones. Currently my most used headphone due to comfort and it's full detailed midrange. Very pleasant listen. Not as resolving or extended as the Amiron Home.

The closed-backs:

Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 Ohms(modded, stock in picture though):
This is my main reference headphone, this headphone is the definition of transparency and effortlessness to my ears. This is without question my best headphone in terms of sound fidelity it outclasses my other headphones, completely different level of transparency, detail, and speed. It's also the oldest, heaviest, and most uncomfortable. When I want to listen to a headphone that offers a level of detail and speed the rest of the headphones I own can't hope to achieve to completely break down and analyze a recording this is the headphone I use. This headphone easily reproduces and easily makes audible details that are masked in any other headphone I ever owned and it's impossible to make sound muddy no matter how complicated the track is. It's my most organic and effortless sounding headphone with the most real body and tactility/physicality to the sound, everything else sounds strained, grainy, and bloated. Doesn't have much bass presence at all in stock form and needs a bit of work, but the dynamics and bass slam it can output when modded to create a proper seal is insane, I have never experienced dynamics that can outright scare me with their force like on this headphone. If you want to hear whats wrong with your headphones, spend a few days with these and go back and it will be clear as day. Takes some initial adjusting to the sound, sounds completely different than essentially any other headphone. I listen to these the least due to the comfort and the fact it kinda ruins the sound of my other headphones if I spend too much time with them, can only tolerate the Amirons if I spend a lot of time with these. Solid aluminum driver with an unique magnet design that is only shared with the DT 48. It's my least fatiguing headphone I own in terms of sound. Sound isn't quite right in stock form due to poor seal(the better the seal, the better the sound) and too little dampening.

Kinda gushed a bit too much over these, but these headphones completely changed my understanding of audio reproduction.

M&O M00H-BE00BT: The bluetooth headphone, it uses an beryllium-coated driver. Most bass presence of my headphones but has excellent mids and highs. Musical, detailed, and lively. Mainly used in wireless mode but always seems to surprise me with it's sound, I get the feeling I underestimate these due to their price and the fact they do feel a bit cheaper than my other headphones. Comfort is 3rd, not uncomfortable like the DT 480 but not all-day comfort like the HD 660 S or Amiron Home.

Are you saying the 480 outdoes your Home :xf_eek: . I picked up the 200ohmer version cuz of your statements over here on headfi. It was the super old #01065 with the old headband , but i slapped on dt100 pads n headband. My dt100 pads are worked in so they are comfy. Though heavy, it's built even more tank like than the 100.

But if you're saying it beats the HOME (which i want real bad), that's very surprising to me. IN saying that after switching from 480 to 880, the 880 sounded a tad grainy, and i know its a grain free can. Maybe grain is the wrong word. It just didn't have as pitch black a background.

*Also, the seal with dt100 pads is fine for me. I would imagine the dt150 pads would be even better. I basically push in the foam from outside to inside , and the rectangual hole, becomes more oval like. This prevents the leak by the back of the ear. I was able to listen to even hip hop music!
"Kinda gushed a bit too much over these, but these headphones completely changed my understanding of audio reproduction."
yeah ditto :) blew my mind a 70s can be like that
YMMV

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #23 of 27
Are you saying the 480 outdoes your Home :xf_eek: . I picked up the 200ohmer version cuz of your statements over here on headfi. It was the super old #01065 with the old headband , but i slapped on dt100 pads n headband. My dt100 pads are worked in so they are comfy. Though heavy, it's built even more tank like than the 100.

But if you're saying it beats the HOME (which i want real bad), that's very surprising to me. IN saying that after switching from 480 to 880, the 880 sounded a tad grainy, and i know its a grain free can. Maybe grain is the wrong word. It just didn't have as pitch black a background.

*Also, the seal with dt100 pads is fine for me. I would imagine the dt150 pads would be even better. I basically push in the foam from outside to inside , and the rectangual hole, becomes more oval like. This prevents the leak by the back of the ear. I was able to listen to even hip hop music!
"Kinda gushed a bit too much over these, but these headphones completely changed my understanding of audio reproduction."
yeah ditto :) blew my mind a 70s can be like that
YMMV

Yes I am, especially once you get the modding right it really shines. The Amiron is better in some ways as it doesn’t have the resonances of the DT 480 and isn’t insanely seal dependent, but a well realized/modded DT 480 is a level above overall. The Amiron only sounds slightly grainy coming from the DT 480, but yes the Amiron have small amounts of grain and the grainless DT 480 makes it audible. The DT 1990 or HD 660 S it’s a little less kind to come from the DT 480 as there is more audible grain on those compared to the Amiron. Grain is the right word because that is what you are hearing. It is but that’s how good the drivers in the DT 48/480 are. Some vintage headphones do have world class drivers just some aren’t properly realized.

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #24 of 27
Denon AHD-2000 - These are my everyday headphones for gaming/music hooked up to a CIAudio DAC and M^3 amp. Love the low end.

Audeze LCD-2 rev1 - For listening to the details.

Nov 12, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #25 of 27
My headphones
The Superlux HD681EVO is twice as expensive as the HD681. It looks better while the pads are slightly thicker. Where the HD681 did not sound dark, this one did. Where the old version had piercing highs this one doesn’t. Where the original one had a good bass but not an overpowering warmth, this one sounded a bit overly warm. I would even dare to say muffled with a big bass. Bonus two pairs of pads and two cables. Although they can be used without amp I use it at home with Musical Fidelity V CANII. These are my headphones for mobile player.

Superlux HD660 bass doesnt boom, it is controlled and of good quality, it hits as hard as it should and doesnt overwhelm into the higher ranges. It has a good speed in its attack. Mids are strong. The guitars are realistic and resonating nicely. I assume this is due to a small quantity of air behind the driver even though it was a valved cup. Highs are also very good, although in some cases gets just hot, for genres like rock and metal the sound is great with cymbals crashing. Jazz was the genre where you could seek out for sibilance if you looked for it in certain sections. The HD660 are a bargain if you upgrade them with premium Beyer parts. I would actually take the HD660 for casual listening due to their more energetic sound signature. Earpads and cable replaced with genuine Beyerdynamic. They doesnt need any headamp with mobile phone but at home I use it with Beyerdynamic A20.

With the help of a salesperson I have tried (on blind) large number of headphones. The chosen ones were the AKG K242HD. They are simply stunning. The overall sense I had while listening to music played through them is one of an airy-sounding neutrality. When you adjust to airiness, you will became even more impressed. Along with the airiness, there was a very solid delivery of bass—and this is certainly something you don’t expect when you’re also hearing airiness. The bass sometimes became very big indeed. However, when the bass did become big, there was no annoying pressure wave to blow your ears. However, the level of bass will vary depending on what you’re using for driving the K242HDs. Excellent ear pads in range wid DT990. You’ll get the full effect with a proper headphone amplifier Musical Fidelity V CANII or Beyerdynamic A20. These are universal headphones.

The AKG K550 are closed, well-balanced sounding headphones. They are nice and tight in the bass, the mid-range clarity is very good and quite even for a sealed can, presenting the upper mid-range/low treble beautifully and giving the real timbre to the voices. The only problem is in the trebles upper register. While the high notes are not pearcing, they are also not enunciated well enough for the natural textures of cymbals. (Deep hole in FR). The K550 pleather pads have extremly short life probably because of sweat, so I have full replacement collection including white K701 pads. For a mixing or a mastering engineer, that can function without a good isolation, the more refined treble is a way to go. They dont need an amp but I use it with Lehmann. These are my reference closed headphones.

The Beyerdynamic DT 990 has open-back earcups. A circular opening at the centre of the cup means the headphones will leak a lot of sound to the outside. The headphones come with a non-removable coiled cable, they are not designed as portable headphones, so the long cable is very suitable for a home use. Another great advantage is that the DT 990 Pro are just as comfortable to wear. The velour pads are extremely soft and clean, they don’t make ears sweaty even during hot days. Probably the best earpads ever. I had no problem wearing them for hours while listening to music. The sound is bright with an adequate bass response and very clean highs. It’s recommended to use the headphones with a headphones amp. The DT 990 Pro offer much in the low end. Good match for Beyerdynamic A20. These are analytical headphones.

The Sennheiser HD 598 are classy open headphones, which means the air can circulate thanks to their open-ear design. This type of headphones lowers the resonance for a more natural sound and better audio fidelity. Combined with the companys E.A.R. technology and 40mm neodynium drivers, the HD 598s delivers a balanced audio. The HD 598s consistently sounded warm and offered a clear separation among the instruments. Thanks to the spacious soundscape, we had no problems with shifting our attention from various instruments. Ideal for binaural recordings. The 598s offered warmer tones, particularly on the vocals. HD 598s deliver a natural sound, allowing listeners to hear the music as it was intended to be heard. The sound perspective and mids are beter than HD650. Sometimes, while you are listening, you will be surprised wondering from where the sound coming. You can use it without a headamp, but a good option is Lehmann or Beyerdynamic 20. These are my binaural fun reference headphones.

Sennheiser HD650 is still an excellent headphone even after 15 years. The newer version are with thicker pads and white internals has slightly less midbass hump and isn’t considered veiled. Very smooth response with no sharp peaks or dips. The HD650 has an exceptionally good frequency response but is tuned to the sound speaker and lacks the bass extension so for someone it sounds veiled. The stock cable replaced with 8 core 6N silvered OFC. Best paired with Lehmann or AT HA5000. These are my comfortable reference open headphones.
All headamps are DIY or heavily modified

Nov 12, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #26 of 27
My current stable (with Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Purple Heart on the way): Focal Clear, Philips X2, Massdrop HD6XX, Massdrop HE-4XX, Sony MDR-1A, Master & Dynamic MH40, Pioneer SE-A1000 & SE-50, Kenwood KH-71 & KH-51, Toshiba HR-50, Stanton Dynaphase Sixty.

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #27 of 27
1 ) ZMF Classic dark version (v2), closed orthos with still great sound.
2) Audioquest Nighthawks, so comfortable and relaxing sound, great tonality.
Both driven by Schiit Lyr2 with Mullards and Bifrost Multibit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back