Your choice of 10 historical figures to be your dinner guests?
Feb 9, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #31 of 61
Jacqueline Bisset
Racquel Welch
Rita Hayworth
Daliah Lavi
Marilyn Monroe
Cleopatra
Kate Moss
Tera Patrick
Amber Lynn
Helen of Troy

What can I say? I'm not much on conversation.

eggosmile.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #32 of 61
I've been thinking of more historic personages that might be interesting over dinner. Right now I am considering Voltaire and Cicero as potentially very interesting dinner partners. I'm also considering Thomas Jefferson, who would make a very nice counterfoil to Voltaire, and because of his very strong classical education would also have much to say to Cicero with respect to republican (Roman) politics.

Edit: I've also been thinking of some of the nastier suggested personalities such as Hitler, Stalin, add Sulla, et al. and I've come to the conclusion that I really couldn't enjoy eating with them. I think a debate style meeting, where you could ask questions and then listen to them explaining themselves with a stop watch to limit their responses would be more appropriate. Hitler for one was known to get into rants. that does not make for a pleasant dinner. Debate, maybe. dinner -- never! Also, he was a vegetarian, so that might be a bit uncomfortable at my table.

Feb 9, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #33 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Jesus
George Washington
Thomas Jefferson
Abraham Lincoln
Henry Ford
Bill Gates
Paul McCartney
John Lennon
Martin Luther King
Ronald Reagan

With this list, at least you wont have to worry about running out of wine.
cool.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 11:23 PM Post #34 of 61
Abraham Lincoln (tell me your troubles)
Jesus Christ
Thomas Edison (would you try something a thousand times till you got it right?)
Jackson Browne (70s singer songwriter)
Walt Whitman (civil war era poet)
Jonas Salk (polio vaccine)
Gerry Spiess (sailed the Atlantic in a ten foot sailboat)
Winston Churchill (British politician)
Bert Blyleven (big league pitcher, retired)
Dave Kunst (walked around the world)

Feb 10, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #39 of 61
Auguste Escoffier
Georges Perrier (Le Bec Fin)
Bobby Flay (Mesa Grill)
Julia Child
Thomas Keller (French Laundry, Per Se)
Jeremiah Tower (Stars)
Dean Fearing (Mansion on Turtle Creek)
Ferran Adria (El Bulli)
Alice Waters (Chez Pannise)
Hubert Keller (Fleur De Lys)

You said DINNER, right? I think these guys know/knew their food.

And it's JIMI Hendrix!

Feb 10, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #40 of 61
Jesus -- So I could see what the real deal was (or if he'd show up).
Einstien -- I wonder what he'd do with todays unification theories.
Hendrix -- He'd be playing while dinner is getting ready.
Mozart -- Him and Einstien need to talk some math err, music.
Indian Larry -- Cuz he lived like I wish I did.
Martin Luther King -- So he could see what he really did for us and see how far we still have to go.
Aristotle -- To make conversation with Jesus.
Sun Tzu -- Someone has to tell Aristotle to shut up.
George W Bush -- So I could decide if he is really that dumb, or really that brilliant.
John Lennon -- Maybe he could inspire GWB to imagine.

Feb 10, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
There is an interesting and funny book I read long time ago, by a French humorist author called Pierre Henri Cami. The title of the book in Spanish is "El Juicio Final", in English that would be "Final Judgement", or "Judgement Day". In this book all sorts of historic figures get together and chat to each other. This author Cami was highly praised by C. Chaplin btw.

A similar scenario was used by C. E. S. Wood for a volume entitled "Heavenly Discourse." Written during WWI, it scathingly and hilariously excoriated most of the sacred cows of the era. Ran afoul of the censors and didn't see publication until the 1920s as I recall.

BW

Feb 10, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #42 of 61
Those are some pretty amazing lists! Imagine being able to speak Aramaic (Jesus), German (Nietzsche), French, Chinese, English etc.. all at one dinner party! Or is this a Hollywood movie where everyone speaks English in an accent?
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #44 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
Those are some pretty amazing lists! Imagine being able to speak Aramaic (Jesus), German (Nietzsche), French, Chinese, English etc.. all at one dinner party! Or is this a Hollywood movie where everyone speaks English in an accent?
evil_smiley.gif

No, everyone speaks English without an accent.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Meanwhile, my tentative list is growing with possibilities:
Grace Eliot
Aspasia (the most learned woman of her time)
Benjamin Franklin (I think he would love Mrs. Eliot)
Winston Churchill
Diana and Lionel Trilling
Dorothy Parker
Charlie MacArthur and Helen Hayes (although it might get a little uncomfortable with Dorothy at the same table. Oh whatever, it's NY not Kansas!)
Oscar Wilde

I suppose I should arrange a series of dinner parties! Seating arrangements might be a little difficult, but... doable!

Feb 10, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #45 of 61
A thread I cannot resist.

Plato
Aristotle
Hegel
Kant
Nietzsche
Heidegger
de Beauvoir
Wittgenstein
Gadamer
Derrida

Plato and Aristotle are staple. They should be enough to fill in the place of Parmenides, Heraclitus, Socrates, etc. Hegel and Kant are included due to the complexity of their work. Nietzsche is the one I'm not too sure. Sartre is conveniently left out as Heidegger and de Beaovoir are present. Then there are the contemporary figures, to bring the topic back to contemporary issues.

Very conveniently left out seventeen centuries all together. Where's Descarte, Hume, Locke, Spinoza, Rousseau? I figure their works have been quite adequately interpreted, the contemporaries should be able to relay their ideas fairly well.

I REALLY want to have a non-Western thinker here. But sadly I don't know anyone. This person would take Nietzsche's place.

An eleventh member should be added after the meal: a psychiatrist for myself.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back