Your chance to own an R10
May 9, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A third pair in 2 weeks just sold on Audiogon. The latest asking price was $1800. This shows that price stabilization has not really settled in yet in the R10 marketplace.

That's more than I paid for mine.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

May 9, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A third pair in 2 weeks just sold on Audiogon. The latest asking price was $1800. This shows that price stabilization has not really settled in yet in the R10 marketplace.

You think those went for $1800? That is a steal..

May 9, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #21 of 30
I really can't image what will happen to R10'S owner ,who bought the phone with the price over 5500$, when sony releases another legend phone which is on the same level of R10 next few years.

May 9, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #22 of 30
I think I am really unlucky. I use the "search" function in audiogon and type"headphone" every day.
But........... the seller 's title is only "Sony MDR-R10" no word "headphone" on his title
hix

May 9, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky_star /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really can't image what will happen to R10'S owner ,who bought the phone with the price over 5500$, when sony releases another legend phone which is on the same level of R10 next few years.

Not necessarily. Sony released the Qualia 010, and it still didn't make a dent in R10 prices. Personally I prefer the Qualia over the R10 but they did make some very bad design decisions which in the end seriously hurt the headphone's reputation, though I doubt that this had much to do with the Qualia brand being shut down.

In any case, Sony may very well end up releasing another dynamic SOTA headphone, but it may not necessarily be better than the R10. When you're that high end, preference has a lot more to do with sound than absolute performance - and anyone with experience in vintage Stax and AKG gear will tell you that absolute performance has lately advanced far less than you would think.

May 9, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #24 of 30
I wonder if that last Audiogon sale wasn't a "fake sale" to play a little with the R-10's market price. It's a bit surprising that everything related to the product has been deleted. The other R10 are sold too and the pics and everything are still up.

Anyway, regarding the late R10 prices I can't think of a single reason that makes anyone selling his R10s for 1800 USD. It's either a scam, the R10s are ruined or the seller is a moron.

Rgrds

May 9, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if that last Audiogon sale wasn't a "fake sale" to play a little with the R-10's market price.

I don't think so. Hey, doesn't anyone here remember LOBSTERSAN the seller? I do! He used to be a regular headfier. That's why I'm pretty sure the cans were indeed for sale!

May 9, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think so. Hey, doesn't anyone here remember LOBSTERSAN the seller? I do! He used to be a regular headfier. That's why I'm pretty sure the cans were indeed for sale!

The R10s at 1800 weren't Lobstersan's but Didwlgh's. Lobstersan asked for any pair he sold more than 6000 and looks like he managed to sell them
wink.gif

Of course I don't know, but it's weird anyone selling a pair of R10s nowadays, knowing a bit the prices reached lately, asks for his less than 5000USD.

Rgrds

May 10, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The R10s at 1800 weren't Lobstersan's but Didwlgh's. Lobstersan asked for any pair he sold more than 6000 and looks like he managed to sell them
wink.gif

Of course I don't know, but it's weird anyone selling a pair of R10s nowadays, knowing a bit the prices reached lately, asks for his less than 5000USD.

Rgrds

I tend to agree with Cool Torpedo. I've talked to two people that regularly watch for R10s and also R10s on Japan Auctions. They said the going rate they've seen the last 6 months have been at least $5,000 on the very low end and around $5400 - $5700 as the usual ending price. Thought I share that as I was curious about that $1800 sale and when it showed it was listed for 24 days on Agon and now it is taken down. Also, there were no pics of the R10 that were sold on Agon, but just stock pics as well. I'm not sure if Didwlgh on Agon is the same person as the one in HF. In any case, I tend to believe that it was either a joke or if it was real it didn't go for $1800 for sure.

May 10, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #29 of 30
I remember Lobstersan -- nice guy. That said, 6500 dollars for R10 is absurd. Perhaps it is just me, but I prefer both HP-2's and Omega II's to the R10s, as well as RS-1's...and while the R10's are certainly nice...very well made and extremely comfortable, their sound certainly does not merit that sort of price. I can see 3000 tops...and only if their sort of large soundstage, 20th row sort of perspective is your preference. I would rather be in the front row with the Grados!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back