Your Chance to Get Rolling Stones Tickets Early...UGH!!
May 18, 2005 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Well, it looks like the Rolling Stones are about to go on tour again. I just received an e-mail offering me an "exclusive" opportunity to get my Stones tickets NOW, before they go on sale to the general public.

I saw these guys 15+ years ago and thought that they were over the hill (but pretty good, none the less). I can't imagine what it will be like now...they will probably need walkers.

May 19, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 30
Either you don't have any idea about "these guys", except having seen them once, or you just don't like the Rolling Stones (member of "The Beatles vs. The Stones" team?) and you could not resist a bad taste comment on their age.

I think the Stones are (not "were") by far the best rock band ever and still innovative and full of energy and I can't wait to see them again! I mean... IT'S THE STONES!!!

What a pity some judge others by age criteria. How... ridiculous.

I bet you wish having their energy when you'll be in your mid-sixties. As for me, I surely do!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
I think the Stones are (not "were") by far the best rock band ever and still innovative and full of energy and I can't wait to see them again! I mean... IT'S THE STONES!!!

I saw the Stones during the 2002-2003 tour. The show was pretty good, but you have to keep in mind that's exactly what it was, a show. It's probably a very similar setlist every night and they probably play everything the same way. I'm not saying I didn't have a great time, I'm just saying I'll be listening to Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! and spending my $100 elsewhere this time.

May 19, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
I saw the Stones during the 2002-2003 tour. The show was pretty good, but you have to keep in mind that's exactly what it was, a show.

Of course - what else can be a show but a show. But it's the best show in today's rock industry!

Quote:

It's probably a very similar setlist every night

There always are slight changes in the tracklists, but yes, of course, 90% of the songs are the same each evening. Are there bands who change setlists from one evening to another?

Quote:

and they probably play everything the same way. I'm not saying I didn't have a great time, I'm just saying I'll be listening to Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! and spending my $100 elsewhere this time.

Well, this is like saying you'll never go to a theater again since you can always stay home and enjoy a good reading of your favourite piece.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2005 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Of course - what else can be a show but a show. But it's the best show in today's rock industry!

I meant that it's highly scripted and choreographed. Quote:

There always are slight changes in the tracklists, but yes, of course, 90% of the songs are the same each evening. Are there bands who change setlists from one evening to another?

Sure, plenty of bands change their setlists completely every night. The Rolling Stones have a catalog spanning 40 years to choose from. Of course, it's understandable why they would choose to play "Satisfaction", "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Start Me Up" every night - that's what the audience wants I suppose. Quote:

Well, this is like saying you'll never go to a theater again since you can always stay home and enjoy a good reading of your favourite piece.
smily_headphones1.gif

No it's not, I like going to concerts very much and there is nothing like live music, but my concert dollars will not be going to the Rolling Stones again. I've seen the "show" once and enjoyed it, but to go again would be so see the same thing.

May 19, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Either you don't have any idea about "these guys", except having seen them once, or you just don't like the Rolling Stones (member of "The Beatles vs. The Stones" team?) and you could not resist a bad taste comment on their age.

What a pity some judge others by age criteria. How... ridiculous.

I bet you wish having their energy when you'll be in your mid-sixties. As for me, I surely do!
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually, I like the Stones quite a bit, as a quick search in the Music forum will show. I just think that it's time for them to go to the old rockers home.

IMHO, it's NOT the Stones...it's a bunch of old men who used to be the Stones. I think of it the same way I would if Jim Brown decided to start playing football again...I mean, hey, it's Jim Brown...right? Wrong...

May 19, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Actually, I like the Stones quite a bit, as a quick search in the Music forum will show. I just think that it's time for them to go to the old rockers home.

IMHO, it's NOT the Stones...it's a bunch of old men who used to be the Stones. I think of it the same way I would if Jim Brown decided to start playing football again...I mean, hey, it's Jim Brown...right? Wrong...

Jim Brown-one of the all time greats.Is he playing for the Stones now????

May 19, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

You've obviously never seen U2 or Bruce Springsteen live.
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

I meant that it's highly scripted and choreographed.Sure, plenty of bands change their setlists completely every night. The Rolling Stones have a catalog spanning 40 years to choose from. Of course, it's understandable why they would choose to play "Satisfaction", "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Start Me Up" every night - that's what the audience wants I suppose.No it's not, I like going to concerts very much and there is nothing like live music, but my concert dollars will not be going to the Rolling Stones again. I've seen the "show" once and enjoyed it, but to go again would be so see the same thing.

Actualy during the last tours they used to play in three kind of venues: stadiums, arenas and clubs.

The setlists for the stadiums did not change much from one evening to another (I guess because on the stadiums you don't have only fans, but also "normal" people who just came to see the Stones, 'cause they're in town, and these people might be disappointed if they don't hear the big hits played).

In the arenas tickets are a bit more difficult to get and most of the audience are fans, so chances to hear some other songs, not necessary belonging to the "big hits" category, increases. The general atmosphere is different as well.

As for the clubs... well, that is a completely different thing. Playing in front of several hundreds people is certainly different than playing in front of 80.000.

But hey, far from me the intention to turn anybody here into a Stones fan.
smily_headphones1.gif
To each his own.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

How can you compare football with music? Then why not asking every musician to stop playing when getting 30-35 years old? Oh, come on. One can't play football at 60, but certainly can write, think, act, sing, paint etc. Why should a musician retire at 60? Why not at 40 - or at 25? A teenager will tell you he considers a 30 year old person as an old person. When I was in high school my colleagues used to listen to Abba and said that teh Beatles and the Stones were some kind of prehistory - and they were in their mid-thirties then. Now you say they should retire. Why should they? This is what they like to do, play music. And there are plenty of people who love them for that. Have you listened to the Stones albums since 15 years ago or so? These are exceptional ones (Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges To Babylon). I know people who "like the Stones quite a bit", but consider that the Stones should have stopped playing a) when Brian Jones left the group; b) when Mick Taylor left the group; c) when a couple of bad albums were released in the 80's etc. I myself would be happy to be able to do what I like most during all my life, and that's what the Stones are doing. And they are not doing this like old-timers but they are as fresh than ever.

Mick... you old fart!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

BTW, what do you think about Paul's next world tour? Should he go to the old rockers home too?

May 19, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 30
I will be doing my damndest to get tickets to see them in Ottawa in late August. Yes, they were over the hill at SARStock and completely overshadowed by AC/DC. I don't care. My new goal in life is to hit the jackpot on May 27th and come up with 4 tickets for Frank Clair Stadium.

What's this "exclusive" ticket thing you mentioned elrod-tom? Something similar to Warehouse for DMB?

May 19, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

BTW, what do you think about Paul's next world tour? Should he go to the old rockers home too?

You seem to have your shorts tied up in big knots over this Beatles vs Stones issue...

Actually, I would go see Paul, just because I've never seen him before. I have seen the Stones...three times, the most recent being almost 15 years ago, when it was clear to me that they were losing steam.

BTW - My brother has seen them every time they've come to Michigan, and is a huge fan. He'll be one of the first to tell you that they're getting more than a bit long in the tooth. I'll be surprised if he coughs up $100+ for this go-round, as he told me that the last show he saw was weak.

You may not like my James Brown analogy, but rock and roll is also something of a young person's game. We're not talking about Simon and Garfunkel here. We're talking about a band whose energetic performances were legendary...20+ years ago.

It's not the same Rolling Stones that I saw back then...if you enjoy seeing them, that's fine. Enjoy. I'll take a pass this time around, out of respect for what I remember all those years ago.

May 19, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

I would go see Paul

Me too...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

It's not the same Rolling Stones that I saw back then...

Well, if "back then" means 20 years ago, I'll have to tell you that they are much, much better now, any Stones fan knows the 80's as being the worst Rolling Stones period.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

if you enjoy seeing them, that's fine. Enjoy.

Will do!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back