Your best audio related thrift store or garage sale find
Mar 16, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Do they have yellow woven kevlar wooflets, like these?

Nope, they have laminate wood finish in some sort of orangish cherry color, they are quite tiny with I guess a 4 inch woofer. Dont remember the model number.

Quote:

Nobody at the denver meet 2 years ago was at all impressed by my $5 Rotel CDP of similar vintage, not that anyone actually listened to it, so i didn't bother mentioning it here.

The JVC is pretty poor at a lot of things compared to modern DAC's and CDP's. But it also does somethings surprisingly well, and for a bedroom system, its clean and crisp sounding and works just great with a 10$ universal remote.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, they have laminate wood finish in some sort of orangish cherry color, they are quite tiny with I guess a 4 inch woofer. Dont remember the model number.

Yeah, the ones I'm talking about have woofers about that size too (though if you measure the whole flange diameter they'd be 5.25" speakers maybe).

The TEAC speakers i have feature the same drivers as the overstock.com model, but closer together, with a shorter and deeper cabinet, and some sort of dark faux-burl vinyl. Sound surprisingly good. nothing wrong with them that a plastic grocery bag crammed in the bass port won't fix.

Quote:

The JVC is pretty poor at a lot of things compared to modern DAC's and CDP's. But it also does somethings surprisingly well, and for a bedroom system, its clean and crisp sounding and works just great with a 10$ universal remote.

Yeah, my Rotel (forget the model number) was a boutique model in it's day. I forget which DAC it's fitted with. Even came from the factory with Black Gate output caps - not that i believe in such things.

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Sound surprisingly good. nothing wrong with them that a plastic grocery bag crammed in the bass port won't fix.

Actually I've found sports cotton socks to work better for that purpose
smily_headphones1.gif

Done that on my Yamaha towers and Insignia Bookshelves for very good results.

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #19 of 63
A Technics SL-1200 for $30 IIRC
A Technics B3 for $15
Minty Fischer 500-T with wood case for $25
Various Mint Sinatra west coast pressings for $1
Various minty RCA Shaded dogs for $1
A pair of JBL 4311's for $20
A pair of Akai SW-170 vintage studio monitors in mint condition for $10 (AWESOME SOUND!)
A Shure V15 type IV for $0.50

This is the stuff I bought. I won't even mention the stuff I have stupidly not purchased for stupid reasons.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #20 of 63
ESS AMT 1D for $50
beerchug.gif

3949301840_69d3ce3e15.jpg

4129273179_8200bc88b2_o.jpg

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #21 of 63
Very cool finish!

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #22 of 63
I too have scored lots of great vinyl at garage sales. But my only real audio score otherwise was I paid $1 for a very old audio console - that was full of Amperex Bugle Boys - 12AX7's and 6BQ5's - all but one of which worked. I still have them all.

Since I have a tube tester, this is a great way to score cheap tubes (and one of the few ways you can score vintage tubes cheap anymore...)

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbusuego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESS AMT 1D for $50
beerchug.gif

I think we have a winner. What a great deal. I bet those ribbon tweeters sound incredible.

I found a pair of Rogers LS3/5As in a pile of rubbish once. However, I needed to spend $150 to get a sticky voice coil fixed though. My brother has them now and he loves them. I personally didn't like the mid bass hump, but admit they do sound good on first impression.

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a small, antique tube guitar amp in excellent condition, in a small thrift store about 10 years ago. It must have sat in someone's closet for decades. I got the guy to plug it in and the original tubes lit up. Unfortunately I didn't buy it because I didn't need another piece of electronic junk for $20. The amp had a logo on it that read "K&F". About a month later I was looking at a hardcover book about the history of Fender amplifiers, and don't I see a large photo of the same amp on page one. Turns out "K & F" stood for "Kaufman and Fender" and that little amp was an extremely rare sample of Leo Fender's very first amplifier... before he formed his famous company, when he owned a radio shop and was in partnership with Kaufman in the early 1940's . The book said the amps were hand built by Fender himself and the grey, crackle paint finish was baked on in his wife's kitchen oven. It went on to say that only a handful from the original 600 made, survived today. Also, the sample I held in my hands was in much better condition than the one in Fender's museum. It was probably worth many thousands of dollars to a serious Fender collector. I still kick myself about it.

A tube guitar amp for 20 and you didnt buy it. I want to kick you, too!

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found a small, antique tube guitar amp in excellent condition, in a small thrift store about 10 years ago. It must have sat in someone's closet for decades. I got the guy to plug it in and the original tubes lit up. Unfortunately I didn't buy it because I didn't need another piece of electronic junk for $20. The amp had a logo on it that read "K&F". About a month later I was looking at a hardcover book about the history of Fender amplifiers, and don't I see a large photo of the same amp on page one. Turns out "K & F" stood for "Kaufman and Fender" and that little amp was an extremely rare sample of Leo Fender's very first amplifier... before he formed his famous company, when he owned a radio shop and was in partnership with Kaufman in the early 1940's . The book said the amps were hand built by Fender himself and the grey, crackle paint finish was baked on in his wife's kitchen oven. It went on to say that only a handful from the original 600 made, survived today. Also, the sample I held in my hands was in much better condition than the one in Fender's museum. It was probably worth many thousands of dollars to a serious Fender collector. I still kick myself about it.

I want to cry a little now. I really.... REALLY do.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #27 of 63
Just today I got excellent vinyl copies of Zeppelin I and IV for $15 total. I checked eBay and they seem to run about $15-20 EACH

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #28 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard to say. I'm currently refurbishing som ESS PS-920 speakers i picked up for $10, but the heil tweeters may turn out to be the only truly valuable components.

I went hiking with my son-in-law one day, and found, stuffed into the trash containers at the trailhead, a pair of ESS speakers with the heil tweets ripped out. In the end, I only saved only one crossover, as the woofers were missing too.
frown.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went hiking with my son-in-law one day, and found, stuffed into the trash containers at the trailhead, a pair of ESS speakers with the heil tweets ripped out. In the end, I only saved only one crossover, as the woofers were missing too.
frown.gif

Well, the PS-920 is a small heil tweeter and an 8" woofer, and an 8" passive on the back.

I got 'em with no foam and no passive radiators, but with the woofers just flapping in the breeze so to speak they still sounded great at stuff like latin jazz.

So I've gone to the trouble of fabricating my own passive radiators and re-foaming the speakers (one done, one yet to be foamed) and I'm not sure it was worth it.

wualta claims that the small heil is an almost direct replacement for the dome tweeter in my ohm walsh 3, and maybe that's the more ambitious end for these.

The crossovers in them don't appear to be very good, either. Maybe i can improve on them. I should at least see how they sound after swapping out old dried out electrolytics for films.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #30 of 63
Nice find on the ESS.

Found a Denon DRA-355 stereo receiver yesterday for 15 bucks. Tape 1 input seems to be plagued with issues (drop outs, and distortion) but the Tape 2 and radio work fine. Actually sounds quite good, 45wpc I think, sounds plenty powerful, and drives bass really well on my JBL towers. Also has the Variable Loudness knob which is really quite interesting to tweak the overall sound presentation. Opened it up and there was decades of dust inside
smily_headphones1.gif
but all it needed was air blowers and some wiping, the rest of it looked ok to me.

Also met another guy who scored an Akai AA-R20. I wouldve picked it up, but he seemed to really want it. Had some good looking internals and AM radio sounded quite clean on test speakers we used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back