Your Album of the Month
Jun 9, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #136 of 321
Hey, I'm glad you liked it! :-D
Edit: By the way, if you haven't done so already, check out the new Altar of Plagues album, Teethed Glory and Injury. It's different from Deafheaven, but I suspect that if you liked Deafheaven you'll quite dig this one as well. Keep listening at this rate and it'll be my album of the month next time around...
Quote:
I just finished listening to this in it's entirety on Rdio, and my lord it is just complete and utter bliss.  I'm definitely ordering this.  I've been waiting for something like this, so this was a warm welcome for sure.  I definitely can agree on how much of a mashup of Liturgy and Godspeed You! Black Emperor this album is.  I can't say I've heard something so similar to this, and that definitely is a good thing.  Thanks, metalsonata! :)

Looks like people are really digging the new Queens of the Stone Age album. Totally going to try and remember to listen to it at work tomorrow...

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #137 of 321
I think we are far enough into June that I can name my album of the month without much fear of running into something better within the next week that's left before July comes around. Picking a favorite from the music I've been listening to wasn't easy. At the end the main contenders for the album of the month title were Burzum's most recent album, EXLIUM's self-titled, AVTechNO!'s collaboration album with the vocalist Saiya, and Dataline's Under Waveform. The choice was extremely difficult but ultimately it was EXLIUM that took the cake, their self-titled is simply so mind-blowing I couldn't possibly deny them the honor. It is album of the year material to me for sure.

To say a bit about the album and the people behind it, EXLIUM is a collaborative unit formed by one of Japan's most renowned electronic Vocaloid artists AVTechNO! and Dog tails who is best know for his/her remixes of AVTechNO!'s tracks which have been featured on most of AVTechNO!'s albums. The back portion of this album actually collects most of his/her remixes on the same disc for the first time. Aside from the remixes the album consists of the title track which was created together by the artists as well as several songs composed individually by Dog tails and AVTechNO!. As is typical of almost any release by AVTechNO!, even the songs that have been released previously have been retouched and -mixed for the most part, making them worth hearing even to people who have heard them before.

The songwriting represents both artists at their best shape and I can't really name any clear low points on the album. The music is very bold electronic stuff, with the exact genre definition(s) eluding me. I could listen to it endlessly.

The album is available as a digital download from
Beatport: http://www.beatport.com/release/exlium/1089661
iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/exlium/id645866452
Amazon MP3: http://www.amazon.com/EXLIUM/dp/B00COO19E6

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #140 of 321
Quote:
Quote:

Can't stop playing this!

Based on your last two albums, I think we might be on the same (musical) page...keep em comin'! Think I'll dl that War album and use my 10% off code at hdtracks ("summer2013").

Since you asked
biggrin.gif

This one is really good too, I almost posted it instead
normal_smile .gif

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #141 of 321
I came across this one on the old trusty needledrop.

Baths - Obsidian

Nothing groundbraking here, just good, slightly dark, glitchy tunes. Very enjoyable, especially while laying on the grass in a not so sunny day.

Here's a link if you want to preview it.

edit: another one that's taken a lot of spin is, once again, Dark Eyes by Half Moon Run, It's like Radiohead and Fleet Foxes rolled up into one.

Jun 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #142 of 321
After much deliberation, I'd have to say that my album of the month is the newest release from Imagine Dragons, Night Vision. The Deluxe Version is lengthy at 18 tracks. but the majority of them are very enjoyable. The recent radio singles Radioactive and It's Time are on there and in high quality format, one can see that this is a well produced album as a whole.

These guys definitely have their own sound. Very alternative, a little edgy, and satisfactory variety. I'm thinking Alpha Rev meets Alter Bridge with a dash of Of Monsters and Men. Check it out.

Jul 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #143 of 321

Don't judge me. You know that you like it too.

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #145 of 321
Nujabes Spiritual State

Awsome Album made from Nujabes unfinished work. Good thing he had friends and relatives that could finish it up and release it because it would be a crime to not be able to listen to it. Excellent album to just relax to after a hard days work (or a day hardly working) 
dt880smile.png

Jul 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #147 of 321
I should probably post my album of the month for July 2013 before I forget. I'm sure there would be a lot of good candidates for the title this month if I gave it some thought, but the winner was already decided when I head Boris' Flood for the first time right around the turn of the month. Those who are not familiar with the band should know that Boris is a most intriguing trio who hails from Japan. They enjoy a strong cult following and are known for switching genres fluidly from one album to the next while remaining recognizably Boris. If I had to place the group under one specific genre, it would probably be metal, but if you have never heard the group please don't make any presumptions based on that – Boris is nothing like your typical metal band.

My first experience with Boris was with their Boris at Last -Feedbacker- album, which I would highly recommend as a perfect starting point for any Boris novice. The album will change your life – it did mine. When listening to the album I recommend doing it alone in a dimly lit or darkened room without trying to process the music too much in your head while you are listening to it. Simply let the sounds wash over you and try to experience it without any presumptions or expectations. But on to Flood.

What I said about Feedbacker applies to Flood as well, which could be though as a spiritual successor to the group's masterpiece that is Feedbacker. Like that album, Flood is a single album-lenght song that has several distinct parts. To talk about the content of the individual parts would spoil the experience of listening to the album for the first time in my opinion, so I will refrain from doing that. What I will say, however, is that even though Flood is not in my eyes quite as mind-blowing an album as Feedbacker, it is very close to being another masterpiece in my books which I regrettably seldom have had the privilege of saying about an album. Had I not heard Feedbacker before this album, Flood might've even been an life-altering experience for me, you never know. I can fully understand why some people might not like this album at all, but I personally enjoy almost every second of it. I am truly happy to finally have this album in my collection. It is also one of the rare Boris releases to have any kind of dynamic range to speak of (I have no gripes about the mastering, actually) because it tends to be part of the group's sound to squash everything to the max. My ears really appreciate the non-fatiquing listening experience and I recommend listening to this album loud on a pair of good loudspeakers if you happen to have one available to you. I have listened to the album on headphones as well, and although it does sound good I found that the album worked best for me on speakers.

That is all for this month. I'm interested to see what August brings along!

Boris - Flood​

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #149 of 321
Saw Boris perform Flood live earlier this year. I'm still trying to process it. It totally blew me away.
Quote:
I should probably post my album of the month for July 2013 before I forget. I'm sure there would be a lot of good candidates for the title this month if I gave it some thought, but the winner was already decided when I head Boris' Flood for the first time right around the turn of the month. Those who are not familiar with the band should know that Boris is a most intriguing trio who hails from Japan. They enjoy a strong cult following and are known for switching genres fluidly from one album to the next while remaining recognizably Boris. If I had to place the group under one specific genre, it would probably be metal, but if you have never heard the group please don't make any presumptions based on that – Boris is nothing like your typical metal band.

My first experience with Boris was with their Boris at Last -Feedbacker- album, which I would highly recommend as a perfect starting point for any Boris novice. The album will change your life – it did mine. When listening to the album I recommend doing it alone in a dimly lit or darkened room without trying to process the music too much in your head while you are listening to it. Simply let the sounds wash over you and try to experience it without any presumptions or expectations. But on to Flood.

What I said about Feedbacker applies to Flood as well, which could be though as a spiritual successor to the group's masterpiece that is Feedbacker. Like that album, Flood is a single album-lenght song that has several distinct parts. To talk about the content of the individual parts would spoil the experience of listening to the album for the first time in my opinion, so I will refrain from doing that. What I will say, however, is that even though Flood is not in my eyes quite as mind-blowing an album as Feedbacker, it is very close to being another masterpiece in my books which I regrettably seldom have had the privilege of saying about an album. Had I not heard Feedbacker before this album, Flood might've even been an life-altering experience for me, you never know. I can fully understand why some people might not like this album at all, but I personally enjoy almost every second of it. I am truly happy to finally have this album in my collection. It is also one of the rare Boris releases to have any kind of dynamic range to speak of (I have no gripes about the mastering, actually) because it tends to be part of the group's sound to squash everything to the max. My ears really appreciate the non-fatiquing listening experience and I recommend listening to this album loud on a pair of good loudspeakers if you happen to have one available to you. I have listened to the album on headphones as well, and although it does sound good I found that the album worked best for me on speakers.

That is all for this month. I'm interested to see what August brings along!

​
Boris - Flood​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back