Your 5 favorite Sci-fi Movies?
Sep 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #16 of 51
Didn't realize the forum had that funky spoiler function!!
eek.gif

Quote:

There's time travel in it, I believe it counts as borderline Sci-Fi.

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #19 of 51
I agree with most everyone here.

In random order:
Bladerunner
The Matrix
Star Wars (original trilogy)
Gattaca
Ghost in the Shell

Sep 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #20 of 51

Quote:
wait, i missed Donnie Darko... that was Sci-fi?

Yeah, I would categorize it as Sci-Fi. There's a melange of time travel and possibly parallel universes. Of course, there's the whole "scary" and "creepy" element to it as well, and while its Sci-Fi element might be subtle, it definitely underlies the plot's whole premise.

The movie I'm really surprised to see on quite a few people's lists is "Star Wars", which, even though it features "space", "space ships" and "aliens", has nothing to do with science fiction. It's generally regarded as "Fantasy".

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #21 of 51
limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Delicatessen

If that is Sci-Fi mark me down; one one of my fave flicks and a visual treat. 

Other than that:

1. Stalker
2. 2001
3. Colossus; The Forbidden Project
4. Planet of the Apes
5. Omega Man

I had to finish with Chuck. He was a bad man. He would get to the bottom of the mystery and get in whomever's pants were in the way.  

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #22 of 51
Top 5 is hard, but ones that I have loved:

Star Trek II, VI (cheers Maxvla), VII, VIII
Star Wars Episode IV-VI
The Matrix
District 9
Inception
Moon
Serenity

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #23 of 51
You liked VII over IV and VI? IMO VI is head and shoulders the best TOS/TNG Trek film with II and VIII tied for a somewhat distant 2nd for different reasons.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #24 of 51

Quote:
You liked VII over IV and VI? IMO VI is head and shoulders the best Trek film with II and VIII tied for a somewhat distant 2nd for different reasons.

VI would be next on my list. It's the best example of Star-Trek-as-allegory that exists, for sure, and I think these 4 movies are by far the ones most worth watching among the Star Trek films. But yeah, I loved Generations... I think it has gone pretty underrated. II and VIII were outstanding movies, but they were both basically action movies - I really enjoyed the much more subdued and reflective tone of Generations. It wasn't about "how is the crew of the Enterprise going to defeat a powerful enemy?" It was "What does it mean to get old? What's important to focus on in life lest it pass you by?" I thought it was much closer in tone to the original vision for Star Trek. I also loved the interplay between Picard and Kirk.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #26 of 51
  • The Fifth Element 
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Star Wars series
  • Matrix
  • Let the right one in

The first two happen to be my favorite movies of any genre period. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #27 of 51

Quote:
VI would be next on my list. It's the best example of Star-Trek-as-allegory that exists, for sure, and I think these 4 movies are by far the ones most worth watching among the Star Trek films. But yeah, I loved Generations... I think it has gone pretty underrated. II and VIII were outstanding movies, but they were both basically action movies - I really enjoyed the much more subdued and reflective tone of Generations. It wasn't about "how is the crew of the Enterprise going to defeat a powerful enemy?" It was "What does it mean to get old? What's important to focus on in life lest it pass you by?" I thought it was much closer in tone to the original vision for Star Trek. I also loved the interplay between Picard and Kirk.

I just think there was so much more plot in VI and that it was done so well that to me it's ludicrous to think of any other TOS/TNG Trek movie was better. Deception, secret missions, who's your real enemy, honorable officers aiding an enemy they'd rather kill, being captured and put in a notorious prison getting an unfair trial, the crew racing to the rescue illegally crossing borders, fighting an invisible enemy, finding solutions to win against those odds, saving a conference of peace and establishing a universe changing alliance that would last generations.

VI is just so good.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #28 of 51
Oooh... Fifth Element is a good one as well for sure. Supremely entertaining stuff.

EDIT: Sunshine is also outstanding, although I hated the last 10-15 minutes.

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #29 of 51

Quote:

I just think there was so much more plot in VI and that it was done so well that to me it's ludicrous to think of any other TOS/TNG Trek movie was better. Deception, secret missions, who's your real enemy, honorable officers aiding an enemy they'd rather kill, being captured and put in a notorious prison getting an unfair trial, the crew racing to the rescue illegally crossing borders, fighting an invisible enemy, finding solutions to win against those odds, saving a conference of peace and establishing a universe changing alliance that would last generations.

VI is just so good.

Fair enough. I'll amend my list to include VI (especially as it's much more accessible to a non-Trek fan than VII). It's hard for me to rank among those 4, though, as they all bring very different things to the table (which, I think, in and of itself says something great about Star Trek!)

Sep 6, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #30 of 51
1-Dune (original extended) - I know it's a love it or hate it movie
2-Bladerunner
3-Alien
4-Sunshine (Bluray is WTFOMG!) 
5-Star Trek: Wrath of Khan w/ TV prequel 

Honorable Mention: BSG and Equilibrium

Users who are viewing this thread

Back