Your 300B tube experiences
Jun 12, 2008 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

derekbmn

Headphoneus Supremus
A question for any and all 300B tube rollers out there. Could you please list some of your experiences with various NON Western Electric tubes, NOS or new production ,etc.

I'm just looking for some very general feedback ,as I know there are MANY variables when it comes to tubes and the circut they a being used in and ultimately the entire playback chain.

If you would like to give a ranking in order of preferences,favorites, etc. that would be fine.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever tried the carbon plates? Any thoughts?

I also like the meshies best. I've tried KR and EH Gold. The Gold is a good tube at a nice price. The KR I had a bit of trouble with longevity -or lack of it.

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwbadley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also like the meshies best. I've tried KR and EH Gold. The Gold is a good tube at a nice price. The KR I had a bit of trouble with longevity -or lack of it.

Can fill us in more on the sound of the meshies? How do they compare to the other two sonically?

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 18
I have a pair of Golden Dragons and WE's.

My WA5 has the WE300B's so it does not count. But I have the Golden Dragon 300B's in my Cary 300SEI. It is interesting with the Cary. It does not seem to be as tube dependant as the WA5. Now the Cary does sound better with better tubes, but still sounds really good with lower end tubes.

So, I have been able to get really good sound out of the Cary 300SEI with the Golden Dragons. The difference I have noticed is in the upper midrange and highs. The WE's seem to have more of a live sound in this range compared to the Dragons. But that being said, in the Cary feeding the Hd650's it still is a great sound.

Cheers,

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 18
I have WE 300B current production that I love in my Moth 300B Paradigm amp. When I bought it, the amp had TJ Premium Mesh Plates and I still own them but never really use them. I think the sound in the Moth is good and detailed but not as full and rich as the WE. When I used the TJs in the Moth WA5 prototype, it was not a good match. Too bright and etched and odd sounding for some reason. Very different circuit, so there was something they did not like at all about the amp.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 18
My experience is that NOS WE's are getting expensive. Some just went on Ebay for 5600, yep, 5600. Crazy but a weak dollar and deep pockets gets the price there.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can fill us in more on the sound of the meshies? How do they compare to the other two sonically?

In my system they give a more pleasing fullness of character. I thought the KR were good but a little lean and the EH Gold are nice but maybe not quite as transparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back