Your 2c Required: DAC Upgrade for a HD650 System
Oct 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mrksgrn

Head-Fier
My current setup is FLAC > HRT MS2 > M-stage Matrix > HD650. I listen to a variety of genres. 

Looking at my setup, I tend to think that the weakest link is in the DAC choice. Hence, I wanted to get some opinion on some upgrade options I should look into within my budget constraints of <$500.

Ones that I'm considering:
HRT MS2+ (a big step up from MS2?)
Yulong D100 (QC and warranty issues?)
Schitt Bifrost (any good reviews/comparisons out there?)

Would any of these options be a great step-up from HRT MS2? Moreover, is my current system transparent enough to benefit greatly from a DAC upgrade? What other DAC options would you recommend give and take $500? You could say I'm looking for a more transparent system, better soundstage, and more detailed, less recessed mids. 

Please Advise. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
My current setup is FLAC > HRT MS2 > M-stage Matrix > HD650. I listen to a variety of genres. 

Looking at my setup, I tend to think that the weakest link is in the DAC choice. Hence, I wanted to get some opinion on some upgrade options I should look into within my budget constraints of <$500.

Ones that I'm considering:
HRT MS2+ (a big step up from MS2?)
Yulong D100 (QC and warranty issues?)
Schitt Bifrost (any good reviews/comparisons out there?)

Would any of these options be a great step-up from HRT MS2? Moreover, is my current system transparent enough to benefit greatly from a DAC upgrade? What other DAC options would you recommend give and take $500? You could say I'm looking for a more transparent system, better soundstage, and more detailed, less recessed mids. 

Please Advise. 

Get John Kenny's JKDAC. Battery powered, ESS 9022 Sabre DAC, and the USB input is John's Hiface mod. I've seen it described as beating the $1500 W4S DAC2, and competing with stuff that costs $2K.

http://sites.google.com/site/hifacemods/home/hiface-dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back