Your 2010 musical predictions
Jan 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #16 of 35
this is my prediction.....I don't know if it will happen in 2010, but I believe by 2013 it will be in full effect.

The pop music industry and all its celeb BS is going to hell.......the youth is going to wake up because we are in a world-wide Recession/depression and people don't want to hear the music they were hearing during the dumbed down 2000s....we're in the middle of two Middle East Wars, and 10% of the country is unemployed and I suspect the world itself is not doing to well.......the industry is going to do what it did from like 89-92......

It switched from the 80s commercial Reagan era music, to the more melancholic sound of Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith...........

And the Britney Spears, Miley Cyruses, Beyonce, Lady Gagas, Rihannans of the industry, they'll survive but they'll survive just like Madonna did.....they're going to be cute has beens.........OH and I believe American Idol and all its allegiances are going to fall in the next 3 years. I look forward to the music of the next 5 years.....i can feel its going to be a revolt and a damn good one

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #17 of 35
More pop culture trash... A bleek dull depression.. A revolution in a new wave of music culture of complete originality or at least a more mainstream appreciation of music of the 50-90's.
-_-

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #18 of 35
They will use computers to make puppies sing!

Jan 1, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More pop songs with no melody

This is quite incorrect if I do say so myself.

My prediction: American pop will start to sound more like britpop and then they will claim "we did it first" in 20 years time.

I feel sorry for the people who go out of their way to trash pop music - perhaps because their tastes are so "refined" that they cannot enjoy something simply because the masses do; because they have a greater whollistic appreciation of "music". I personally do not listen to pop music, however I will not discount its merits, and when done effectively (Michael Jackson's Off The Wall comes to mind) can be great. Of course, I would like to add that a lot of indie groups hipsters who feel the need to bash pop music listen to are essentially playing pop music from the 90s.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #20 of 35
The loudness war will continue!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cd_loudness_trend-something.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #21 of 35
I think the whole Indie vernacular has reached completion. Somewhere, some band will break out to inspire a new college pop music lexicon. If they haven't already that is. I'm not as hip as I used to be.

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The loudness war will continue!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Cd_loudness_trend-something.gif

Honestly, I think (hope) it's reached its peak. Because I doubt (hope) it could get much worse.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I think (hope) it's reached its peak. Because I doubt (hope) it could get much worse.

That is exactly why the war will continue.
To fight back and eventually (hopefully) get them on retreat.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(snicker)

The loudness wars will continue. There will be many casualties. Unfortunately, it will be too many musicians, and not enough fat cat record company executives.

Lou Reed will release Metal Machine Music II -- it will be nothing but 4x 17:59 of square waves, except for a brief spoken word interlude somewhere in the middle of the latter half of one of the tracks -- no-one will ever remember, because they will only have heard it once.

MP3 versions of will become popular, because they actually will sound better than the lossless versions.

Fights will break out as to exactly which compression technique and rate is best. People will start applying their results to other musics, and argue whether or not there is one all-unifying compression, or whether or not every album nee' every individual track nee' every individual snippet will have its own "optimal" compression. The Loudness Compression Wars will have many combatants, but few victors. Other than self-proclaimed, of course.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the industry is going to do what it did from like 89-92......

It switched from the 80s commercial Reagan era music, to the more melancholic sound of Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Radiohead, Jeff Buckley, Elliott Smith...........

I have kinda been thinking this as well... I think indie rock at least is going to have some awesome stuff coming in this next decade. What brought me to thinking this was a small pattern I've seen across some of my favorite bands. Built to Spill, Modest Mouse, Flaming Lips, and TV on the Radio had all released albums from like '07-'08ish. BtS with You in Reverse, MM with we were dead before the ship even sank, FL with At War with the Mystics, and TVotR with Return to Cookie Mountain... All of these albums were OK at best. However all these bands released an album (or in MM's case an EP) in 2009 and they were totally awesome. It's like everyone unanimously decided to quit trying to get a single and just made some solid music. Maybe it's just my personal taste taking over but BtS and FL both without a doubt changed their styles drastically from their 2nd most recent albums and went back to styles seen in early recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back