your 12au7a experiences
Nov 25, 2006 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi
I'm looking to roll this tube on my dac and I"m looking for suggestions as to which ones i should look at. Thanks.

Nov 25, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
I'm looking to roll this tube on my dac and I"m looking for suggestions as to which ones i should look at. Thanks.

So, how do you like the Brick vs. Ori Zhaolu?

Anyway, I have spent many years rolling 12AU7's in my Alex Peychev modded Cary CD301 CDP, and here's my experience. BTW, I believe Brick's stock 12AU7 is JJ 12AU7, which is a nice tube to begin with already.

FIRST TIER

Siemens Halske 5814A early long plate

If you want to improve on JJ's top-end definition and extension while improving resolution across the board, including bass, this is your tube. It also retains the magic tube tone. Very difficult to find.

Valvo 6067

If Siemens Halske is not romantic enough, then Valvo 6067 will be ever so bit more romantic, warmer, and smoother while retaining super-tube resolution and magic. Even more rare than Siemens Halske.

Raytheon 5814A D-getter 1950's

Can be found much cheaper than above yet in the same overall sound league. Warm, linear, detailed, authoritative, and musical. Doesn't quite have the laser-like resolution of Siemens Halske or the supernatural tone of Valvo 6067, but would make the JJ sound like music coming through curtains. Has to be the early D-getter. Some of the other varities can sound like cr&^(

CBS/Hytrin 5814A D-getter 1950's

Many believe this is the same tube as Raytheon, which is probably true. Looks the same and sounds probably same, which is difficult to say exactly due to different ages/conditions of 2 tubes being tested. Has to be the early D-getter.

Telefunken ECC802S

Try it if you want to try a "legend." However, the hype generated by certain tube dealers, etc, have overpriced these way beyond reason. The true tube connoisseurs tend to prefer the other tubes mentioned above.

NEXT TIER

Amperex 7316 PQ

A safe tube to recommend. A bit tubey and warm and a bit rolled off, but has that nice tube magic and density/texture.

RCA 5963 1950's D-getter

A real bargain of the bunch. Great tone, density, and warmth. Details is all there, too, but doesn't quite have the velvety, feathery treble extension of some other tubes. Still, gets that emotional involvement going very easily.

RCA cleartop sidegetter 12AU7

This can work very well in certain applications and very cheap. Nicely extended, linear, clear sound but lacks the last bit of refinement and tone of the best.

Telefunken 12AU7

Nothing particular to complain about but also sounds a bit plain and boring. Sometimes these types of tube work well in certain situations. Can sound a bit lean.

Radiotechnique 6189/12AU7W

Sweet top and smooth mids. Fast and relaxed tube. Doesn't have the ultimate density and texture of the top tier tubes.

Mullard CV4003/12AU7

Nice tone, warmth, and fluidity. Nice airy sound through the ranges and good at taming treble/upper-mid nasties. Doesn't have the resolution of the top tubes, though.

Mullard M8136 is the more rugged miliary version of CV4003/12AU7, but many (including me) prefer the sound of plain 12AU7. Seems to lack the fluidity of the regular version.

BTW, you may want to ask Gordon if his circuit can take an E80CC tube instead. If so, you might find them extremely worthy-while substitue for 12AU7 types.

Nov 25, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 3
hi
ori is remodding the zhaolu so i'll be some time before i do a comparison. i did do a comparison agaisnt the ori zhaolu i currently have... overall, i think the brick is slower sounding and doesn't quite have the same expansive soundstage as the zhaolu. on the other hand, the brick has better frequency extension on both sides, has a clear midrange and a more present bass. Dada noted, on his dynamight, that the ori zhaolu sounds midrange centric and has more authority/punch/dynamics than the brick, while the brick has a smoother, more extended sound to it.
overall, the brick has taken out many of the harsh passages, they sound like real music now (like something a composer would write into a score) as opposed to something a modern composer would put in.

i'm still going to give some time before i decide... there are still several places i could go with this dac search. what i'm really looking for in tubes is something with a larger soundstage. the tube i'm using right now is a Mazda 6189/12AU7A-WAH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back