Your #1 Favorite Album
Nov 28, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #152 of 205
Quote:
^^ My 2nd best Genesis album, the first is Wind & Wuthering.

It was close. I like that one a lot, too. Some people don't give the early Collins-era material a chance, which is a shame because there's a whole lot to like. I have almost everything the band ever recorded, and the first two Collins-era albums are at least as good as the Gabriel years, IMO. And this is coming from somebody who knows every word in "Supper's Ready" and who actually likes the stuff on Trespass that isn't "The Knife."

Tony Banks said W&W was his favorite, and with all the keyboard work on there, I'm not surprised.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #153 of 205
When I listen to W&W its from cover to cover, just like when I listen to PF's WYWH. I just find the Trick not the same. But that's the way I've always listened to that CD anyway so I guess I just got used to it. But the live FOF on Seconds Out is nice. There's a nice cover on youtube of FOF (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTTydKDsS8&feature=related).

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #154 of 205
I can't get into the pre-80s Genesis very easily, I'm more of a Duke and Abacab guy. Foxtrot is one of my favorites, though.

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #155 of 205
Great thread guys.

I am an avid lover of all sorts of music and buy all sorts of genres of music and am very open minded. I'll give anything a few spins before deciding whether its for me or not.
This year I have been getting into Bluegrass and Country style music.
Because my tastes are so varied, its very hard to pin it down to just one album as my favourite of all time...so here are 5 albums that I have listened to time after time for the last 30'ish years.

Looking forward to checking out some of the albums I don't recognise in this thread. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #157 of 205
Quote:

It was close. I like that one a lot, too. Some people don't give the early Collins-era material a chance, which is a shame because there's a whole lot to like. I have almost everything the band ever recorded, and the first two Collins-era albums are at least as good as the Gabriel years, IMO. And this is coming from somebody who knows every word in "Supper's Ready" and who actually likes the stuff on Trespass that isn't "The Knife."

Tony Banks said W&W was his favorite, and with all the keyboard work on there, I'm not surprised.

Ok, I listened to both W&W and Trick. I think I prefer Trick over W&W, though it is close. So the 1994 Trick remaster is better than the original V/C (Virgin/Charisma Nimbus) UK pressing?

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #158 of 205
Quote:

Ok, I listened to both W&W and Trick. I think I prefer Trick over W&W, though it is close. So the 1994 Trick remaster is better than the original V/C (Virgin/Charisma Nimbus) UK pressing?

I wish I could tell you that, but I honestly don't have any experience with it. I'm not even sure where I could have found that version in the US when I was buying my Genesis albums, since I got most of them in shops and I was lucky to find even them. I've heard good things about that original pressing before, though, and one day I'd like to hear it and see for myself.

I do know that the 1994 remasters of both W&W and Trick, while flawed (some nasty sibilance and, on Trick, slightly loose bass), are much better than the 2007 ones, which are far too compressed and which stray too far, IMO, from the original mixes. Drums especially are hurt by the compression, and while everything is clearer and more separated, a large chunk of the ambiance of each of these albums is lost. They sound far too similar, as though a lot of their unique character has been removed, and the compression really hurts the dynamics and flow. I was sorely disappointed, enough so that I didn't even (intentionally) buy any of the 2007 remasters (I heard them through the now long-defunct Ruckus music service my university offered), though I ended up with Trespass by mistake.

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #159 of 205
Quote:

I wish I could tell you that, but I honestly don't have any experience with it. I'm not even sure where I could have found that version in the US when I was buying my Genesis albums, since I got most of them in shops and I was lucky to find even them. I've heard good things about that original pressing before, though, and one day I'd like to hear it and see for myself.

I do know that the 1994 remasters of both W&W and Trick, while flawed (some nasty sibilance and, on Trick, slightly loose bass), are much better than the 2007 ones, which are far too compressed and which stray too far, IMO, from the original mixes. Drums especially are hurt by the compression, and while everything is clearer and more separated, a large chunk of the ambiance of each of these albums is lost. They sound far too similar, as though a lot of their unique character has been removed, and the compression really hurts the dynamics and flow. I was sorely disappointed, enough so that I didn't even (intentionally) buy any of the 2007 remasters (I heard them through the now long-defunct Ruckus music service my university offered), though I ended up with Trespass by mistake.

I just bought a used copy of Trick, the one I just described. The Japanese or West German copies have collector prices.

I believe yours is the Definitive Edition (DE) Remasters. My W&W is DE, its not a good copy IMO.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #163 of 205
Probably my favorite album of all time is Sublime - 40oz. To Freedom, although it's been many years since it got much playtime.  For me, the nostalgia in that album is beyond measure.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #164 of 205
Quote:
yikes, that list is pretty sad

P4k zealots are pretty sad people. 
wink_face.gif

Having a readers' list in addition to staff picks is an utter redundancy.  I forget what forum it was, but before the results were released posters were outlining what they believed it would look like.  Predictably, the guesstimates were spot-on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back