Young Lovers in the Shadows of the Moon
May 15, 2007 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

catachresis

Headphoneus Supremus
It's a Swingin' Affair! It's a truth uncontested that youth is wasted on the young. Just because the kids today have discovered something fresh in the Rhythm and Blues music that's sweeping the airwaves, that doesn't mean they hold a monopoly on The Hot New Thing. Our great Maestros and Divas of the Tune continue to demonstrate that nobody sings a Blue Note or a Folk Ballad from Appalachia or a Latin cha-cha-cha like Bing Crosby and Burl Ives and Keilly Smith.

And now that this new skiffle lp from a little-known group from the British Isles is taking the enthusiasms of young people by storm, we at Decca feel it's time to prove which vocalists really know what kind of hijinks go on on the mysterious other side of the Lovers' Moon. Today's brightest lights in the musical firmament take on the hit record from Floyd Pink and his Dawn Pipers. So strap yourself into the capsule for a rocket-ride to Venus and the stars beyond!

Track Listing

Side One

1. Count Basie Orchestra - "Speak to Me" (Instr.)

2. Peggy Lee - "Breathe"

3. Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians - "On The Run" (Instr.)

4. Chet Baker - "Time" (Vocal and Instr. Solo)

5. Mel Torme - "Breathier"

6. Tito Puente and his Orchestra - "The Great Gig in the Sky" (Instr.)

Side Two

1. Sammy Davis Jr. - "Money"

2. Dean Martin - "Us and Them"

3. Duke Ellington and his Orchestra - "Any Colour You Like" (Instr.)

4. Frank Sinatra - "Brain Damage"

5. Ethel Merman with the Brooklyn Philharmonic - "Eclipse"

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 2
I hate it when a great idea gets stole. Absence of instrumental talent and education in musical theory should not prevent genius from carrying off a brilliant project. Alas!

<https://www.actmusic.com/en/Artists/Nguyen-Le/celebrating-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon/celebrating-The-Dark-Side-Of-The-Moon-CD>

Anyhoo! I've been a big fan of ACT acts for years. Cheers to Nguyên Lê and NDR Bigband for taking on MY pet project! Really, Guys, I love you all.

-- But you're not getting my other great idea. I don't care how hard Schoenberg swings when played by a big band of jazzbo cats, you're not. . .  -Crap.

[P.S. If you're one of the talented ACT instigators of this new work, and you got an idea from reading Headfi forums, do send me a PM. "Thanks" would be sufficient. I promise, I'm buying the retail cd.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back