You want the good news or the bad news first?
May 16, 2005 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cyclone

Headphoneus Supremus
Decided?

Too bad, your getting the bad news first.

My headphone jack broke over the weekend. I temporarily remedied the situation by stuffing a peice of paper between the headphone jack and the body of the Micro. It kinda works, but if i mess with the jack the sound cuts out and the music sounds completely distorted. I am also out of the 3 month window of free repair under the warranty. So i was looking at a 40 dollar service fee just to repair some guy's ****** soldering job. I considered fixing the jack my self but thought i would send an email over to Creative before I did anything crazy. In summary i sent them this....

"My micro's warranty has passed the point where I can just send it in free of charge so I am very hesitant about paying to send it in just for a temporary fix. Do I have to pay for the replacement/repair of this product which is flawed in it's mass manufacturing execution and was not damaged by any fault of mine? If I do send the Micro in for replacement what assurances can you give me that the headphone jack will not fail again?"

Ready for the good news?

A spritely one and a half days later I got this message back from Creative.

"Dear Jeff,
The headphone jack issue you are experiencing is covered for 1 year
after purchase date, and that includes labor fee's so you are under
warranty, without sending in a labor fee."

Now unless Creative just really likes fixing these things for free I doubt that the new micro's have the headphone jack issue. It seems they still dont have the nuts to admit that they screwed up with the micro's build quality like they did with the Xtra. But this is a good step towards it. Looks like i'll be Micro-less while my micro is being RMA'd
frown.gif
I hear there's a way to get Creative to pay for the shipping, anyone know how (I recal it has to do with calling Creative) ?

May 17, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Decided?

Too bad, your getting the bad news first.

My headphone jack broke over the weekend....

I'm curious: My understanding is that Creative doesn't actually fix the old unit, but that they just ship you a brand new one. True?

May 17, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
I'm curious: My understanding is that Creative doesn't actually fix the old unit, but that they just ship you a brand new one. True?

Well they used to do that. But if you were Creative sending a new unit or a refurb would cost you more money in the end because 1. A new unit would be very expensive compared to fixing the problem and 2. If they send me a refurb, the refurb will just break and they will have to pay for another refurb to be sent out to me repeatedly. If on the other hand they just fix the problem by actually repairing it they will save money by not sending out new/multiple refurbs, and not have to worry about the jack breaking again.

Has anybody out there gone through this RMA proccess before with Creative? Any info on how to get started, or what to expect will be VERY helpful.

May 17, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 8
Creative sent my new unit yesterday via express and it arrived today. Only postage I had to pay was for me sending it to them.

I couldn't be happier
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
Creative sent my new unit yesterday via express and it arrived today. Only postage I had to pay was for me sending it to them.

I couldn't be happier
smily_headphones1.gif

How much was postage? Do you mind telling me how to get the RMA and how to send it in? If you dont feel like posting you can just send me a PM. Any help would be very much appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #8 of 8
Back to the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back