you really like just ONE of their albums, the rest, ehhh...
Feb 16, 2002 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
do you have a band you like but own only one of their cds; and the reason is you don't like any of their other albums? i'm interested to know which bands have one great cd and the rest are, you know, ehhhh..

mine is
dead can dance: "spiritchaser" this is a great album.. one of my favorite production jobs. very spare production, a little echo on the vocals an all the instruments plainly recorded. lots of stereo panning and effects, great for headphones! most of the music is played on instruments from native cultures from around the world. some of the songs feature wonderfully spooky chants. the rest of dcd's stuff that i've auditioned.. i found it over-produced and a little pretentious.

Feb 16, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #2 of 82
Faith No More: The Real Thing
Slayer: Seasons in the Abyss
White Zombie: La Sexorcisto-Devils music volume 1
Fear Factory: Demanufacture (1st and 3rd were good, but this is their best)
The Verve Pipe: Villains
Suede: Coming up
Pearl Jam: Ten
311: Soundsystem (one of my favorites)
The Offspring (they release one "popular" album, then the next is crap, another "popular" one, the next one crap, and so on...talk about a hit or miss band)

Edit: this is a very interesting topic, can't wait to see what other folks think.

Feb 16, 2002 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 82
re: 311
"come original" is an awesome song, but "from chaos" got the all music guide "best of artist" award...

Feb 16, 2002 at 11:41 AM Post #5 of 82
Metallica S&M. not too interested in their regular metal, but the combination with the orchestra realy works.

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 82
Most famous example I can think of in recent times was Stone Roses. First CD "stone roses" is excellent (especially for fans of Oasis type music) follow-up Cd they pretty much lost all the magic.
Fortunately you can by "complete stone roses" CD which has almost entire 1st CD plus important EP tracks. My fav is "I want to be adored"

Maybe not as dramatic creative drop off, but Verve's "urban hymns" is far superior to any of their other Cds, although most critics disagree with me here. The epic/sprawling track "bittersweet symphony" demonstrates the high level of musicianship on this CD which is very rare in this age of MTV/karaoke performers.

BTW why do we have two bands with the names: Verve & Verve Pipe......trying to confuse us.
confused.gif

Gloco
I see by your White Zombie post that you haven't gotten the latest "sinister urge" CD, Rob is still very active and producing the best music (and videos) of his career (I admit he has been in a "slump" for few few years, but he's back in spades now!)

Also I saw his "crib" on MTV tour, very interesting ie: his wine rack is in an upright coffin, open the lid for your fav sauvingon
very_evil_smiley.gif
(we don't want to get into his bedroom decor)

Feb 16, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 82
Pearl Jam - Ten.
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Vitamin C - Vitamin C

Feb 16, 2002 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
BTW why do we have two bands with the names: Verve & Verve Pipe......trying to confuse us.
confused.gif

Gloco
I see by your White Zombie post that you haven't gotten the latest "sinister urge" CD, Rob is still very active and producing the best music (and videos) of his career (I admit he has been in a "slump" for few few years, but he's back in spades now!)

Verve pipe has been around quite a while actually. I assume the Verve were also around from the early 90's?

As for Mr. Zombie, i gotta admit, i really dont care for anything he has done as a solo artist. It's too soft for me. I heard one of his tracks from Edge's entrance music in the WWF, its ok, but again, too lightweight for my tastes. It's beyond me why WZ was split up...they only released two freakin albums, that really pissed me off!

As for 311, i tried to get into "from chaos" but it just didnt hold my interest. I even had it cloned to MD for some listens, but failed to catch my interest, maybe i should give it another whirl. I really dig "Soundsystem," i'm listening to the album on vinyl as i type this up.

Here's a few more to throw in the basket:

Garbage--1st 2 albums rock, third one is lame

Oasis------I loved "Be here now," apparently others
disagree, "Standing on the shoulders...." is a bit weak IMO

Ozzy-------This guy puts out 1 or 2 great songs per album now, the latest one just plain sucks. Maybe its time to hang it up or reunite and put out Black Sabbath albums!!!!! YEAH!

A little off topic here: The Doors: I liked "LA woman" the most, followed by "Soft Parade," basically The Doors put out better albums as time passed!

Stone Temple Pilots: the last two albums stunk, hey Scott how bout another solo album?

Feb 17, 2002 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco

It's beyond me why WZ was split up...they only released two freakin albums, that really pissed me off!

... White Zombie put out more than 2 albums, actually; they had a bunch of stuff from the late 80s. don't remember all the titles, but one of them was 'Make Them Die Slowly'. and they did re-release their debut sometime around 95 (?).

but they sounded really different back then - slow and sludgy; a lot of the kids who loved La Sexorcisto and then bought the re-released debut absolutely HATED it.
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 82
I've never seen those earlier albums listed anywhere, they all suck? That's a shame
frown.gif

Guess Rob Zombie is a hit or miss type of guy
mad.gif

Feb 17, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #14 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
confused.gif

For some reason, I don't have trouble differentiating these two:

Verve - Cool band, Shoegazer/Brit-pop
Verve Pipe - Sucky, contemporary alternacrap

MHO.

In answer to the original question, can't think of any.

Orbital's In Sides is, however, far and away their greatest album, I'll agree with that.

I'm sure they exist, I'm just drawing a blank.

Feb 17, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #15 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Verve Pipe - Sucky, contemporary alternacrap

Hmmm...(gives a dirty look over at Dustychalk)
wink.gif

Villains was a good album, dont you agree? Ok, minus that silly song "freshman," the rest was enjoyable. Too bad they bombed after that release.

I've heard a lot of good things about The Verve's older albums. Maybe i should give em a shot, i love trashy britpop though, the suede's "coming up" was a great album. Although a tad too bright for my ears.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back