you really like just ONE of their albums, the rest, ehhh...
Feb 20, 2002 at 2:44 PM Post #61 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i still feel that if you actually like dave matthews band you either:
a) haven't heard what a good band actually sounds like
b) too afraid to admit they suck because your friends (clones) will get pissed

Massive Attack is a good band????????

Feb 20, 2002 at 4:06 PM Post #62 of 82
Quote:

DarkAngel said...
'
You are right about Massive Attack "Mezzanine" being great album and easily their best. I almost used this group as an example where they had one great album and the rest are so-so.

Actually, I think will add Massive Attack to my list for this topic. Like DA, I love Mezzanine, but the rest of their albums don't get much of a reaction from me. Now, to confuse grinch, let me add that I also like a couple of Dave Matthew's Band albums.
tongue.gif

Also, I'm adding Urge to this list as well.

Feb 20, 2002 at 6:20 PM Post #63 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by Masonjar

Wow, just goes to show you what different worlds people live in.. my first Massive Attack album *was* No Protection .. I got it because I was a fan of the Mad Prof, and I read a review that it was great.. I don't know how you think he ruined it.. unless you simply *must* have vocals in your music.. are you that unfamiliar with the dub genre? He dubbed it, he took out the vocals and added cool effects like reverb, delay and echo.. I think it works quite well, but I realize that if you're not a fan of dub you wouldn't understand.. I do think the original is a great album, but it's hard to compare it to the remix.. to me the remix is an extension of the original... they're both fine in their own way.. Mezzanine on the other hand, is a masterpiece that trumps them both in my opinion
wink.gif

-jar

From memory, my main criticism of "No Protection" was the excessive use of delay and reverb on the vocals...that started to wear thin on me really quickly. Just drop the vocals out of there I say!

Dub seems to generate mixed responses in people ("Not everyone understands the power of dub"). While I am not a huge fan of the 'pure' dub movement (King Tubby, Lee 'Scratch' Perry et al), I totally love the more progressive areas in which dub is appearing - everyone from Bill Laswell to the Basic Chanel/Chain Reaction labels in Germany. Even bands like Massive Attack have a strong foundation in the dub aesthetic.

For those who are curious about the origins of dub, check the following link:

http://switch.sjsu.edu/v7n1/articles/rob02.html

"People get warped by dub and reggae and they never recover"
Ian Penman (The Wire)

Feb 20, 2002 at 6:22 PM Post #64 of 82
While Mezzanine is an incredible fusion of trip-hop with rock, it just doesn't have the soul that Blue Lines does. I consider Blue Lines to be one of the top 5 albums of the 90's, up there with Nirvana's two, and that Radiohead one, what's it called?
wink.gif

Mezzanine is certainly darker, denser, more intricate, but it is less coherent and I doubt it will wear as well over time. The soul, the passion -- these leap out at you in Blue Lines.

Feb 20, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #65 of 82
Hmm...well.....come to think of it...well.....

I guess "Sparkle & Fade" from Everclear is their only release I like (So Much For The Afterglow is pop...pop...is.....pop...not music...
smily_headphones1.gif
).

There should be more, though, lemme think....

I guess OK Computer could fall into this category - while I love parts of Amnesiac and Kid A (haven't heard pre-OK 'head), I really can't say I love them in their entirety. Ah well.

Speaking of one-album-wonders, the band Dredg has only one release, Leitmotif.

I think its pretty amazing music....the vocals are a bit too soft in the mix, but it's not *terrible* - and the music itself makes up for that.....like NIN meets Tool meets U2 meets Radiohead.......very unusual.

It is heavier music, but has so many quiet parts it really can't be called a metal album (not really hard rock either, IMO, which the band Live *is*).

Very interesting.....

Oh, I know - Lateralus, by Tool! I really enjoy a few tracks on Aenima, but don't like Undertow much (excepting a few tracks).....

Feb 20, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #66 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i have a different vote for most overrated crappy band in the world: DAVE MATTHEWS BAND. wow is their music pathetic. i simply cannot understand how each of the members of that band are so amazingly talented (cept for dave) and their music is just so blah. so fed upon by the mindless heavily-drinking abercrombie and fitch wearing wanderers of college campuses all over the united states, it makes me ill.

i still feel that if you actually like dave matthews band you either:
a) haven't heard what a good band actually sounds like
b) too afraid to admit they suck because your friends (clones) will get pissed

/me dons the flame-retardant suit and radiohead t-shirt..

Overrated by who? I love dmb but i'm not one of those diehard types. I think Dave Matthews is a good writer but nothing spectacular. This is obviously your personal opinion/bias. I like radiohead too, so....what does that make me?

Feb 20, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #67 of 82
grinch: Eeks.....if you don't understand the DMB craze because you've only heard Everyday, I'd understand - what a terrible album.....by DMB standards....there are several filler/sellout tracks, IMO, though it does have some nice, non-radio hits.

I think the album Crash by DMB is their strongest album since Before These Crowded Streets, which is just amazing.

And, frankly, I think Dave is not the most talented guy in that band.....his singing isn't good - just barely bearable, IMO....the most talented member *I believe* is Carter Beauford, the drummer.....the wind player, Leroi Moore, is also talented, playing the tenor, alto, and baritone saxes, contra-bass clarinet, and flute amongst others through his DMB career.

And Boyd Tinsley, the violinist, is pretty good - Live At Red Rocks has some nice violin solos.

Whateva - i like radiohead, too, and am not trying to change your opinion on DMB.

Just trying to make sure that you don't base your DMB opinion on Everyday, their weakest release so far, IMO.

Feb 20, 2002 at 9:18 PM Post #68 of 82
vij-
radiohead: "the bends"
it may change your opinion of them as a "one album wonder". "planet telex" is worth the price of the whole cd, imho.

Feb 20, 2002 at 9:34 PM Post #69 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
To Sum up I would buy these 4 CDs by U2
-Boy
-October
-Achtung baby
-U2 best of 1980-90 (to get the essential tracks of War-Joshua Tree)

Wow, DA, I'm really surprised by that! I would rate U2's (studio) albums like this (best to worst):

The Unforgettable Fire
Boy/War/Joshua Tree (different, but fairly equal)
October/Achtung Baby (with the edge to October)
Zooropa/All That You Can't Leave Behind
Pop

I think it says something (good!) about U2 that so many people rate their albums so drastically different
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #70 of 82
redshifter: I wasn't fully sure if I should put down Radiohead, because their other albums ARE good, IMO - they just don't click with me.....do you know what I mean?

Thanx for the rec, tho - I definetely need to get that album; I've heard it's almost as good of a headphone candy disc as OK Computer....can you confirm this?

Feb 20, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #71 of 82
ok computer edges out the bends for headphone candy. the bends is more pure rock and roll than their later albums.

if you want some real headphone candy check out michael brook's "cobalt blue".

Feb 21, 2002 at 4:22 AM Post #72 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
Back on topic.
For me this was Shinead O'Connor.
Her's first album "The Lion and the Cobra" was great.

Hey, good one, I totally forgot about her.

Thought I'd pipe in with my U2 top 10.

Achtung Baby (a last beam of hope from an otherwise plummeting career, probably Eno's doing)
War & Live at Red Rocks (I had a tape of these that I wore out)
Joshua Tree & Unforgettable Fire (both had some really strong points and some really weak ones)
Zooropa (only redeeming value was "Numb")
Pop
Rattle and Hum
that lemon one (remixes)

Haven't heard the new one, but what I've heard of it is nothing special, IMNSHO.

PS Redshifter -- Michael Brook! Good choice. Do you have the Albino Alligator soundtrack? I think I have a spare copy if you don't...email me if you want to trade or something...

Feb 21, 2002 at 5:45 PM Post #73 of 82
hey dusty,
yeah i've got albino aligator, the soundtrack to "traffic", cobalt blue, live at the aquarum (live cobalt blue). both cobalt bue & live at the aquarium are available on a 2 cd set. in all honesty i can add brook to my list for this thread: i don't think any of his other works even come close to cobalt blue.. he should do another album with eno.

i remain,
redhissfitter
aka redshifter

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #74 of 82
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
i remain,
redhissfitter
aka redshifter

Heh-heh. I'm glad you're taking that with the jest with which it was intended.

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #75 of 82
Oh, oh, oh, I just thought of another one, and this one is going to floor those of you who know my tastes: The Temptations. Yes, that's right, The Temptations. They did one really cool album: Solid Rock. Has absolutely a killer version of Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine". "Stop The War Now" is pretty cool, too. Gawd I wish they would release that on CD (again?).

Who knows, maybe there are others by them I like, but I certainly don't like what I know of them. This album, however, is unlike anything I've ever heard from them on the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back