You own both a PPA and Mapletree Audio?
Mar 22, 2004 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MN Ham Phones

100+ Head-Fier
I'm just itching to build an amp. Have plenty of Heathkit and some scratchbuild experience.

Initial use will be with my Mac G5, later with a Rotel RCD-1070. Will drive Grado 60/125s for now, perhaps 225s or a more difficult brand in the future. Also, will get the *s* cable for my Ety ER-4p's.

Undecided between tube amp or solid state.

So it's either the Ear+ Purist -or--
Gilmore Lite or PPA.

Any comments?
Any of you own both of these?

Mar 23, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 12
I'm running my Grado 325's with a Mapletree Ear+ Purist and really love it. It was also a blast build and it's fun to tube roll. The solid state Grado RA-1 amp is collecting dust and might hit eBay soon (if I can stand to part with it, that is).

Mar 26, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Beware. If you build the Ear+ yourself, you might get addicted to the world of DIY tube amps. A pair of Welborne DRD monoblock kits are sure to follow:

drd3.jpg

(happened to me)
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2004 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 12
I have on loan the MAD + and with Grados they do sound quite good. I can't comment on any PPA except one with AD-8610 op amps. The PPA has PRaT but came off a little too bright with the Grados. Soundstaging is quite different with the PPA being very wide (and as such I would need crossfeed).
Both are good but I think I would pick a PPA and ask for the OPA-627 or 637.

The MAD has better decay but the PPA has better attack

Mar 26, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Beware. If you build the Ear+ yourself, you might get addicted to the world of DIY tube amps.
(happened to me)
tongue.gif

Looks great but the price alone for those monoblocks will deter me. Just spent $1400 to install a water heater....

Mar 26, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
If you remember your Heathkit days fondly, go for the Mapletree amp!

VERY fondly. Just so da*ned many other things need money prior to an amp.

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MN Ham Phones
Looks great but the price alone for those monoblocks will deter me. Just spent $1400 to install a water heater....

Mmmmm Just out of intrest, how does the water heater and Grado combo sound.?.....
rolleyes.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew3199
Mmmmm Just out of intrest, how does the water heater and Grado combo sound.?.....
rolleyes.gif

wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back