You only have Line Out - what do you do?
Apr 19, 2007 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

OldHooky

100+ Head-Fier
ADMIN - PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD - MAJOR TYPING ERROR IN TITLE

CHEERS

In the pursuit of improved SQ I'm unclear whether to simply up the quality of recording using EAC from 192 and/or invest in an ultraportable amp? My DAP has Line Out only.

Cheers

Apr 19, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #4 of 17
I assume your DAP is the U2, and by "line out", you mean headphone out (doesn't the U2 have a headphone output?)

A good way is to up the bitrate of the track, though the benefits will only be there if it can be perceived.

Apr 19, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 17
I dont understand how anything can be better than alt preset standard if abx testing proves theres no difference to WAV?

So wouldnt his only solution be an amp?

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 17
Slightly embarassed by the rubbish I typed before I'd had enough coffee
frown.gif

I should have written Line In (as well as h/p socket).

DAP in question is a Zen V Plus.

I shall now go and stand in the corner!

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont understand how anything can be better than alt preset standard if abx testing proves theres no difference to WAV?

That is only true of most people. It has been proven that a few on hear can tell the difference between well-encoded mp3 and FLAC.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is only true of most people. It has been proven that a few on hear can tell the difference between well-encoded mp3 and FLAC.

I see, lol i dont think i wanna be one of those people! FLac's take up way too much space. ill stay happily in vbr land me thinks.

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by OldHooky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The question remains: is an ultraportable amp to use with h/p socket or Line In a worthwhile investment.

I'm not patient enough to wait 2-3 months for a Xin.

You didn't mention the headphones to be used so I'm assuming IEMs. In that case, my personal preference has been to go with MP3 VBR(190-320) and no amp. Honestly, I found that a portable amp didn't add enough sonically to warrant the muss and fuss of dealing with one. I prefer to simply use my E500's right out of my ZVM. Plenty good for me.

If you're going to be using some full sized cans at home, I can see an amp being something you'd want to consider but otherwise.....save your dough. JMO.

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

incorrect. In fact, even if you SEARCH through this forum alone, you will see ABX proving that alt preset 320 kbps is audibly distinguishable from lossless (not even WAV, technically).

EDIT: sorry Kabeer, I see someone has already cleared up your misunderstanding. Carry on... (as I walk to the corner and crouch...)

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 17
earphone choice will skew this answer, so please list what ear connections you will be using.

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 17
Thanks folks.

I will be using V-Moda Remix at work; E4Cs when travelling and SR80s at home.

I have a musical/critical ear, so getting the best out of current equipment is a must. At this stage I'm not keen on changing either DAP or phones, unless they are the obvious weak link.

Currently lost in space with EAC - can't find the copied tracks - so having a good day as you can see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back