You only have Line IN and a h/p socket - what do you do?
Apr 19, 2007 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

OldHooky

100+ Head-Fier
In the pursuit of improved SQ I'm unclear whether to simply up the quality of recording using EAC from 192 and/or invest in an ultraportable amp?

I will be using V-Moda Remix at work; E4Cs when travelling and SR80s at home.

I have a musical/critical ear, so getting the best out of current equipment is a must. At this stage I'm not keen on changing either DAP (Zen V Plus) or phones, unless they are the obvious weak link.

Cheers

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 5
You should experiment with higher bit rates. Try 320 and compare to 192. I have a Zen V but I don't use it much and I've never tried amping the headphone out but it will help some I'd bet.

I could try one of my amps with my 325i to see how that works.

edit- I tried listening to my 325i & Zen V. At 22/25 the volume was plenty loud and sounded good.I then connected my AE-2 with a Cardas mini to mini into the headphone jack on the V. Not much different I have to say,it opened up a tiny bit. I used 320 kbps from random artists. For these low impedance cans I don't think it'd be worth it to amp the V unless you wanted bass boost or crossfeed.

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 5
That is really helpful, thanks. It makes a massive difference when someone has the same kit and runs a few tests. I'll give it a go tonight and let you know. You may have saved me a few quid!

Apr 20, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 5
I would recommend using VBR instead of CBR 320. Try V0 or V1. Both should average quite a bit above 192 and will save space on the "easy" parts of the song to encode. Using CBR 320 is usually a waste of space.

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Oldhooky I use a Porta Corda III to amp both my Zen Nano Plus and my Samsung Z5 both from the headphone jack (neither have line out). I listen through MS1s and Ms2is (mostly MS2 as they are great fons) and I can certainly say that the amp does improve the sound in comparrison to the unamped sources at all bit rates. (128 to 320) The sound is fuller, more powerful, helping base impact and general clarity (increased detail). However the difference in improvement was more noticeable with the step up in fons (MS2 over MS1) than the same dollar investment in the amp.

So I agree with the general consensus (Headphone threads) that the money you invest in your fons will give you greater return than amping, keeping in mind the science (limitation) of diminishing returns, regarding upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back