You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Feb 20, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #4,516 of 6,112
I did. But it was not a serious reply.
tongue.gif

Should've told 'em 'bout your army of monkey assassins. Could've sealed the deal.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #4,517 of 6,112
YKYAAW your parents insist you get X item. And you tell them to save their money so they can buy you HD 800s and a Schiit Stack. And more monkey assassins to protect @Music Alchemist's original CDs.

you don't need a schiit stack for hd800 to sound good. there are way cheaper options. 

like getting a hd700 + fiio e12 to get better price/cost ratio. 

or even hd650 und fiio e12, still gets the job nicely done.

I told my parents first when i entered this hobby. 
I was a smoker in the past, so audiophilia is not that bad. I had managed to quit smoking, cold turkey without any stupid medicine.

I really have no ideea why my past equipment produced so much distortion at high volumes.

i was wondering what can cure this, getting a better source, or getting better headphones, or both can help?

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #4,518 of 6,112
YKYAAW your parents insist you get X item. And you tell them to save their money so they can buy you HD 800s and a Schiit Stack. And more monkey assassins to protect Music Alchemist's original CDs.

Asked my dad how he felt about investing in hd800s for me and I'd pay him back over the course of a few years...
I consider myself lucky to be able to post this story here cuz after I saw the way he looked at me I thought he was going to kill me right there...

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #4,519 of 6,112
Feb 20, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #4,520 of 6,112
  you don't need a schiit stack for hd800 to sound good. there are way cheaper options. 

I told my parents first when i entered this hobby. 
I was a smoker in the past, so audiophilia is not that bad. I had managed to quit smoking, cold turkey without any stupid medicine.

I really have no ideea why my past equipment produced so much distortion at high volumes.

i was wondering what can cure this, getting a better source, or getting better headphones, or both can help?

First you imply you don't need a better amp, then you wonder why there is distortion at high volume. XD Even my Magni 2 Uber can't drive the HD 800 to its full potential, though it can get close. Anyway, I don't know which equipment you are referring to, but my guess is that the headphones produced distortion themselves or they needed more power.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #4,521 of 6,112
Feb 20, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #4,522 of 6,112
  I understand. You need to get to know your merchandise up close and personal before making an investment. (You headphone pimp. LOL!)

Well, it's easy for electronics to sound good. Transducers (headphones and speakers) don't have that luxury.

:/ headphone pimp...I prefer to think of it as...being sensible and bringing my headphones to multiple dates first to get to know them better before deciding to bring them home with me, and get saucy with them. No one night stands and bailing on them the next morning and never calling them again for me. *ahem* 

I did. But it was not a serious reply.
tongue.gif

Waw, quite ballsy. It's better to earn and/or save up for your audio gear, even if it takes a while. Satisfaction is increased. I used to have to ask my parents if I'm allowed to save up to buy stuff. 

The Schiit stack can make my $499 (retail when it was still in production) Denon D5k sound much better than a Fiio E12 (yes, I've tried the combo), I'm 100% sure it's going to scale the monstrous HD800 or the HD700 up waaaaaay better than the E12 can. Don't take amp and headphone pairings lightly. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #4,523 of 6,112

First you imply you don't need a better amp, then you wonder why there is distortion at high volume. XD Even my Magni 2 Uber can't drive the HD 800 to its full potential, though it can get close. Anyway, I don't know which equipment you are referring to, but my guess is that the headphones produced distortion themselves or they needed more power.

I totally understand that hd800 need a lot more amp to have full potential, but i thought that we were discussing how to spend the least possible, while getting the most out of them. 

I would actually get only chord hugo and use it as universal amp and DAC for everything. i also think that idsd micro can suffice, but it is more expensive than e12... and it should have enough power for hd800.

i liked very very much a SS amp with hd800 when i tested them, matrix mstage hpa2. it is pretty cheap, and worked very good with hd800 for me. i liked it better than fireflies, or others. i forget a lot of times that normal people would never think to get a solution to use hd800 portable.

i was thinking about the past times, when i would use no brand headphones and some iriver daps and they would produce some distortion. so it was lack of power... i also thought as much..

Asked my dad how he felt about investing in hd800s for me and I'd pay him back over the course of a few years...
I consider myself lucky to be able to post this story here cuz after I saw the way he looked at me I thought he was going to kill me right there...

well.. this is reckless.. considering your entire inventory, if you still own all of the things written in there, i think that you can sell enough to get hd800... 

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #4,524 of 6,112
  :/ headphone pimp...I prefer to think of it as...being sensible and bringing my headphones to multiple dates first to get to know them better before deciding to bring them home with me, and get saucy with them. No one night stands and bailing on them the next morning and never calling them again for me. *ahem* 

Waw, quite ballsy. It's better to earn and/or save up for your audio gear, even if it takes a while. Satisfaction is increased. I used to have to ask my parents if I'm allowed to save up to buy stuff. 

The Schiit stack can make my $499 (retail when it was still in production) Denon D5k sound much better than a Fiio E12 (yes, I've tried the combo), I'm 100% sure it's going to scale the monstrous HD800 or the HD700 up waaaaaay better than the E12 can. Don't take amp and headphone pairings lightly. 

i do not. i thought that you tried to spend as less as possible. i agree that schiit stack can sound heavens for the price.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #4,525 of 6,112

I pay for my women headphones and receive them in the mail, use and abuse them, then kick 'em to the curb if they don't satisfy -- and get my money back too! =D

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #4,526 of 6,112
I would actually get only chord hugo and use it as universal amp and DAC for everything. i also think that idsd micro can suffice, but it is more expensive than e12... and it should have enough power for hd800.

LOLOLOL. The Hugo outputs 70 mW into 300 ohms. The Magni 2 Uber outputs 320 mW into 300 ohms, and it's still not enough to reach its absolute peak.

No idea why you're interested in that overpriced thing.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4,527 of 6,112

I pay for my women headphones and receive them in the mail, use and abuse them, then kick 'em to the curb if they don't satisfy -- and get my money back too! =D

Poor women  headphones, at least tell them that it's not working out and you think it's best to see other people headphones, and send them on their way. But still, it's nicer to have dates tryouts first to be sure, before moving onto something more serious. I don't like having people headphones feel used, and it would break my heart to abuse them >_<. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #4,528 of 6,112

LOLOLOL. The Hugo outputs 70 mW into 300 ohms. The Magni 2 Uber outputs 320 mW into 300 ohms, and it's still not enough to reach its absolute peak.

sincerely? it was the thing that sounded amazing and was portable. nowdays, i am getting more and more interested in ifi idsd micro, because it is cheaper, and should sound the same as hugo. i am not convinved yet, but it is worth the try at 25% price of chord hugo.

when i tried hugo with hd800 i thought that they needed more power, so you might be right...

I am interested if you know any other portable great amp.

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #4,529 of 6,112

I was actually pretty interested in the Hugo since it's "portable" but it's...quite large and unwieldy, so it's more "transportable" which led me to opening up to desktop options, which led me to the WA7, and eventually ending up with my adorable little Schiit stack. On paper the Hugo doesn't have competitive specs, but according to many reviewers it sounds wonderful. 

Feb 20, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #4,530 of 6,112
I am interested if you know any other portable great amp.

HeadAmp pico POWER.

I was actually pretty interested in the Hugo since it's "portable" but it's...quite large and unwieldy, so it's more "transportable" which led me to opening up to desktop options, which led me to the WA7, and eventually ending up with my adorable little Schiit stack. On paper the Hugo doesn't have competitive specs, but according to many reviewers it sounds wonderful. 

It's a DAC too and that's the reason most people buy it. I don't know of anyone who has scientifically compared it to other equipment, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back