You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2!
Jan 17, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,916 of 6,112
Just looking out for the safety of your equipment! =D

The Modi 2 is USB powered; the Magni 2 uses a wall wart power supply and connects to the Modi 2 via two RCA cables.

(The Modi 2 Uber is still partially USB powered while using the USB input, but also needs to be plugged into the wall to function.)

YKYAAW you provide free technical support for audio companies without them even knowing. XD

Yeah that's what I thought, thanks.

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #3,917 of 6,112
Jesus what OS is it running?
With a PC that old I'm surprised the hard drive hasn't failed yet.

My mac is also about 10 years old, but it is a bit slow. I guess were just lucky to have tough computer. lol  
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry that I intruded in the conversation, btw.

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #3,918 of 6,112
  My mac is also about 10 years old, but it is a bit slow. I guess were just lucky to have tough computer. lol  
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry that I intruded in the conversation, btw.

the conversation is open to everybody!

i am trying to buy a computer for some time.. mine is not that old, but i really need a fast computer..

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #3,919 of 6,112
  the conversation is open to everybody!

i am trying to buy a computer for some time.. mine is not that old, but i really need a fast computer..

Same here, but I'm not sure whether to just get a PC or go with another mac... I hate the fact that Macs cost so much, but I don't like the UI of PC's... I might just get a cheap laptop and then earn some money for a iMac or something...

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #3,920 of 6,112
Jesus what OS is it running?
With a PC that old I'm surprised the hard drive hasn't failed yet.

Windows XP, yuck (I prefer Vista; don't kill me)

x1 does not have line out or coax out. x3, has line out and coax out, but i might be wrong.

Actually, the X1 has a LO; it has a combo HO/LO, which can be switched in the settings. No Coax out unfortunately 

YKYAAW you dream about going to a headphone meet (not kidding, that happened last night)

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #3,923 of 6,112
  Windows XP, yuck (I prefer Vista; don't kill me)

Actually, the X1 has a LO; it has a combo HO/LO, which can be switched in the settings. No Coax out unfortunately 

YKYAAW you dream about going to a headphone meet (not kidding, that happened last night)

You prefer Vista?! You're the first person I've meet who actually likes vista. I mean yeah, it looks really nice like Windows 7, but it's SO SLOW. Slower than XP, full of bugs, etc. Ick. 
Man I'd love to go to a headphone meet. It would be so cool to meet all those people and listen to all those setups. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #3,924 of 6,112
YKYAAW you're so sick and tired of all the hyped-up "accurate" headphones that don't sound accurate at all that you just may get the JVC HA-SZ2000 (supposedly the god of bass cannons) just to spite them. I see an eBay seller selling brand new Focal Spirit Professionals (which retail for $349) for $215, except they only come with a portable cable and nothing else...and despite the fact that I've wanted that headphone more than most others for quite some time, I'm tempted to go for the ~$240 JVC first, just so I have a headphone where there's no chance of me feeling it's lacking bass. Despite its reputation for heavy bass, the official product page (as well as this more technical page) goes on and on about its new technology that is supposed to reproduce the audio accurately despite having such strong bass. It was an interesting read, at the least...

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,925 of 6,112
  You prefer Vista?! You're the first person I've meet who actually likes vista. I mean yeah, it looks really nice like Windows 7, but it's SO SLOW. Slower than XP, full of bugs, etc. Ick. 
Man I'd love to go to a headphone meet. It would be so cool to meet all those people and listen to all those setups. 

Vista works fast and flawlessly on my dad's computer. I've never had a problem with it, and find it easy to use. I do like Windows 8 too 
tongue.gif
 but Windows 7 is by far the best Windows. I also don't like Ubuntu. I can't wait for Windows 10 though; I just wish I was getting a convertible, which I think will be perfect with it. Problem is, the specs for a convertible in the price range I have are much lower than what I could get with a regular laptop in that same price range. 

YKYAAW you need more than 16gb for your music

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #3,926 of 6,112
YKYAAW you're so sick and tired of all the hyped-up "accurate" headphones that don't sound accurate at all that you just may get the JVC HA-SZ2000 (supposedly the god of bass cannons) just to spite them. I see an eBay seller selling brand new Focal Spirit Professionals (which retail for $349) for $215, except they only come with a portable cable and nothing else...and despite the fact that I've wanted that headphone more than most others for quite some time, I'm tempted to go for the ~$240 JVC first, just so I have a headphone where there's no chance of me feeling it's lacking bass. Despite its reputation for heavy bass, the official product page (as well as this more technical page) goes on and on about its new technology that is supposed to reproduce the audio accurately despite having such strong bass. It was an interesting read, at the least...

You do know that technically speaking, an accurate phone should sound very flat and "boring".
Sounds like you're just chasing the wrong dragon. Different strokes for different folks. Nothing wrong at all with preferring a different tuning

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #3,927 of 6,112
You do know that technically speaking, an accurate phone should sound very flat and "boring".
Sounds like you're just chasing the wrong dragon. Different strokes for different folks. Nothing wrong at all with preferring a different tuning

No, an accurate transducer (not that any are 100% accurate) reproduces the audio in its full glory, with all of the exciting stuff that's actually in the music - that is, when the recording is exciting, of course. It should only sound boring when the recording is boring.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #3,928 of 6,112
No, an accurate transducer (not that any are 100% accurate) reproduces the audio in its full glory, with all of the exciting stuff that's actually in the music - that is, when the recording is exciting, of course. It should only sound boring when the recording is boring.

I'm talking about your statements about the lack of bass. A true accurate tuning often sounds bass light, for simple biological reasoning. We hear frequencies in the midrange (where voices reside) better

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #3,929 of 6,112
I'm talking about your statements about the lack of bass. A true accurate tuning often sounds bass light, for simple biological reasoning. We hear frequencies in the midrange (where voices reside) better

Your statement is true to an extent, but the simple fact is that all of the studio monitor headphones I've heard that claim to be accurate sound like the total opposite of accurate - like the mids and highs were all out of whack (turned up far too high to the point of sounding shrill, for example) and the bass was turned all the way down. That is not how real instruments and real music sounds. I can listen to the instruments in real life, then listen with these so-called "accurate" headphones and it sounds nothing like it. As far as I am concerned, it's deceptive advertising and an outright scam when certain headphones claim to be accurate when they are nowhere close...and far too many do. Truly accurate headphones reproduce everything as it is in the recording - that includes all of the dynamics, bass, and countless other things that are severely lacking in all too many headphones.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #3,930 of 6,112
Your statement is true to an extent, but the simple fact is that all of the studio monitor headphones I've heard that claim to be accurate sound like the total opposite of accurate - like the mids and highs were all out of whack (turned up far too high to the point of sounding shrill, for example) and the bass was turned all the way down. That is not how real instruments and real music sounds. I can listen to the instruments in real life, then listen with these so-called "accurate" headphones and it sounds nothing like it. As far as I am concerned, it's deceptive advertising and an outright scam when certain headphones claim to be accurate when they are nowhere close...and far too many do. Truly accurate headphones reproduce everything as it is in the recording - that includes all of the dynamics, bass, and countless other things that are severely lacking in all too many headphones.

I hear you, but the simple fact is its gonna cost multi thousands just to get in the same ballpark as live sound. you're always going to have to make concessions. Personally, I would rather accurate prat and envelope than accurate frequency response. Audio pros use eq to make it, no reason not to use it if its properly implemented

Users who are viewing this thread

Back