You know your HD580/600 are well amped when....
Sep 2, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't think the frequency response changes much if at all when properly amped. Instead, they sound more "controlled" and speedy than you would think an HD600 to do, especially in the bass. There's a little more detail as well. In more complex recordings with an amp, the sound doesn't get convoluted and muddy, everything remains under control and totally distortion-free.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voltage swing > +/- 10V
Highs: Clear (not boring)
Mids: Smooth (not boring, slow, drawn out)
Bass: Hits (not slow)

graphCompare.php

I'm curious as to what the graph suggests. Wouldn't the HD600 need more voltage swing in contrast to the HD650 or am I misunderstanding the graph?

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 15
So according to you, a Pico amp properly amps a HD600, but many people say it dosn't. hmm.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 15
Not this thread, from other threads, especially in the portable amp sections.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the impedance vs frequency - you need more voltage at 100Hz for HD600, but you need higher voltage at 60Hz for HD650.
wink.gif

Scott_Tarlow - how you got that conclusion from this thread, I have no idea.

Yes, so shouldn't we take the peak of the headphones' respective graphs which looks to be around 470ohms for HD650 and 560 ohms for HD600?

So a max theoretical voltage swing needed for HD650 would be about 9.7V and 10.6V.

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
graphCompare.php

I'm curious as to what the graph suggests. Wouldn't the HD600 need more voltage swing in contrast to the HD650 or am I misunderstanding the graph?

I am curious too. Everybody seems to be of the opinion that HD650 are harder to driver but these graphs seem to indicate otherwise.

What gives ?

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #11 of 15
The impedence peak of the HD650 may demand more power because it's in lower freqency range. In general, the power demand increases as the the frequency becomes lower. Just a thought, but I'm not 100% sure.

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 15
... they sound like Grados!

And... they do... when mated with the proper source and amp.

Perhaps... a bit richer... but with all the balance, highs, speed, clarity, detail and soundstage of my RS1s.

Pretty phenomenal, actually!

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 15
Sensitivity. The HD650 is not as sensitive as the HD600. Both the HD650 and k701 use non standard units in their published sensitivity using dB/V instead of dV/mW.

Mar 6, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RX7PHILE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In general, the power demand increases as the the frequency becomes lower. Just a thought, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sounds right...

High frequency = higher energy; lower frequency = lower energy. This comes directly from Planck's equation E = hv.

If the volume level were to be kept constant throughout the entire frequency range, then yes, it will require MORE power in the lower frequencies so the volumes sound "even." This comes from the fact that power is energy divided by time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back