You know you need a new teacher when...
Feb 27, 2003 at 4:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

elgoog

New Head-Fier
Here's a thread in honor of all those teachers/professors/mentors/etc. you've had that have been, well, less than satisfactory.

Here's a few to get started:
You know you need a new teacher when:
your teacher doesnt teach at all
(s)he thinks every student is out to get him/her

And yes, these are from personal experience.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 49
When your teacher is admiring a mouse that has happened to wander into the classroom, mouse freaks out and runs up teacher's pants leg, teacher freaks out and drops pants in front of class, class never looks at teacher again without giggling.

(apparently this happened in the year above me at high school)

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #3 of 49
....you are in the 8th grade and your teacher spends an unusual amount of time on his laptop, supposedly "doing research" for tomorrow's curriculum but curiously always has his credit card in hand. And he never seems to hear all of the chaos happening in the classroom, and there are always these two wires coming out of his ears leading to his shirt pocket.

....oh, and he only seems to respond to the name "Joe."

biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:22 AM Post #4 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
....you are in the 8th grade and your teacher spends an unusual amount of time on his laptop, supposedly "doing research" for tomorrow's curriculum. And he never seems to hear all of the chaos happening in the classroom, and there are always these two wires coming out of his ears leading to his shirt pocket.

biggrin.gif

hahaha JMT. That was a good one
smily_headphones1.gif

... when your teacher doesn't show up one day, and you find out that he's been recalled for the war against Iraq...
mad.gif
mad.gif

[while it's not funny or anything, it's not supposed to be.. he was just a helluva teacher that got pulled to serve his country, and I wish him the best of luck.]

Feb 27, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 49
your grandma tells you a story of one of her teachers, and you suddenly realize that this person is one of YOUR teachers also!

Feb 27, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 49
ooh my school is scandalous.... when one of your teacher is caught "messing around" with students, and when another teacher is caught "messing around" with another teacher. Horrible
mad.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 8:44 AM Post #7 of 49
Let me guess, these teachers taught Ethics 101, right? How sad to here how these teachers are acting. No self-control at all. They are supposed to set the example and live a life beyond reproach. At least, that's what I think a teacher should do. Anything less and thier lives are a bad example that, sadly, many will follow.

Feb 27, 2003 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 49
When your teacher hits on you. Yes it happened to me but I didn't go for her obviously.

But she was pretty.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2003 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
....you are in the 8th grade and your teacher spends an unusual amount of time on his laptop, supposedly "doing research" for tomorrow's curriculum but curiously always has his credit card in hand. And he never seems to hear all of the chaos happening in the classroom, and there are always these two wires coming out of his ears leading to his shirt pocket.

biggrin.gif

LOL!!

- when your music teacher has never heard of Samuel Barber, or the Adagio for Strings... OR when that same music teacher says that sad music is bad music. "I only like HAPPYYYiii music!!"

Feb 27, 2003 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT

biggrin.gif

[size=small]ROTFLMAO ![/size] I must be getting slow cause I didn't get that till the last line... good thing too, saved my laptop from a coffee shower
biggrin.gif

[size=xx-small]Poor kids...
tongue.gif
[/size]

Feb 27, 2003 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 49
How about when your Physics teacher electrocutes himself while trying explaining/showing what not to do or you might get electrocuted.

Or first day of class the teacher is doing roll call, when she gets to your name she asks if you have two brothers. When the reply is yes she tells you to "get out and let that be a lesson to you!". (I think my brothers had a bit of a reputation, which of course I felt the need to live up to
tongue.gif
)

Feb 27, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
when your music teacher has never heard of Samuel Barber, or the Adagio for Strings... OR when that same music teacher says that sad music is bad music. "I only like HAPPYYYiii music!!"

I'm going to pretend you weren't joking when you said that because I'm portraying another kind of bad teacher (the kind who lacks a sense of humor):

What a horrible experience. I hope it didn't actually happen. I've taught piano and theory before and never ever have I told anyone to stop listening to a piece based on the emotion conveyed. People often have characteristic moods that draw them to particular music. You can widen their scope, but why ignore their characters? It's better to make the student feel motivated by finding great (not necessarily difficult) pieces with which s/he can connect, so that s/he gets interested in technique and craft and longs to be a virtuoso.

Samuel Barber has written far more than the Adagio, though, and even that comes from a longer string piece that is beating on your chest and demanding a detailed listen. So, too, are his Hermit Songs, Knoxville, Dover Beach, Anthony and Cleopatra, difficult Piano Sonata (which Horowitz played, BTW), Excursions, Violin Concerto and Reincarnations for chorus. Barber had impeccable taste in prose and poetry and, if you don't mind classical vocalists, you should listen for yourself. He wrote some of the most perfect songs in English.

But perhaps I'm selling you short and you know about all of these pieces already.

So Flasken: Does this mean you connect with autumnal (or even wintry) music like Mahler's 9th, Berg's Violin Concerto and Shostakovich's Eighth (Symphony and String Quartet)?

I'm in the middle of writing a cycle of pieces that share something in common with the Adagio: They're short movements for strings that are voiced like choral vocal compositions. The voice leading and everything else suggests movements from a requiem. I was also thinking of Monteverdi and Josquin.

Feb 27, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 49
when your history teacher is your own dad, and he invites your mom and sister to class. and gives them all the answers to some extremely hard questions beforehand.

when your english teacher is a pretty young woman who invites you to her apartment do give her your oral report, and opens the door in her underwear!
eek.gif

when you are a better artist than your teacher, and he gets jealous.

all true stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back