You know who is the most unlucky amp Head-Fier ?...
Feb 9, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #16 of 23
If this makes you feel any better, I know a head-fier who lost two different $1000 headphones in a matter of months. Talk about bad luck...

Feb 9, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
If this makes you feel any better, I know a head-fier who lost two different $1000 headphones in a matter of months. Talk about bad luck...

Well, on the contrary. It won't encourage me. I already know that some people had badder luck than me. And I don't want to experience this.

If I was able to, I would have purchased a Hornet or some sr71, but it is out of question to put more money in a headphone gear than I already had in a speakers system gear. I from far prefer speakers, but I was looking for a good portable gear and supermini was the last price I was ready to spend on a headamp.

Anyway, has anybody already experienced some troubles with Headroom products, or Portaphile ?

Feb 10, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #18 of 23
the source may be on, but is it functioning properly? if you are using the headphone out on your ipod, is it one of the variabts that turns off the output when there is no headphones attached?

do you have a diferent source to try? anything.... a walkman even...

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #19 of 23
Not trying to be a smartass here...: Are you sure you are not plugging the source into the headphone out and viceversa? I know I did that a couple of times, and thought my amp was dead...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #20 of 23
Xin did flip the input and output jacks early in the run. Make sure you're using the right ports. If it's dead, you're not going to break it any more than it is now.

Also, make sure your jumpers are in place. Specifically the Crossfeed jumpers. They are the ones that have 3 poles. If those aren't making a connection, there is no signal path for the sound to travel down. It might
be a long shot, but it's a thought.

Make sure that the opamp is seated properly, and that the jumper wires appear to be in place. Pretty much just make sure it looks like the picture on his website. Maybe your amp just got tossed around in shipping and something came loose.

Xin has been very good about repairs, replacements, special adjustments, etc. Contact him and I'm sure he'll fix your amp right up.

I've had the mini since December, at it is definitely worth keeping.

good luck
-Jeff

Feb 10, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
the source may be on, but is it functioning properly? if you are using the headphone out on your ipod, is it one of the variabts that turns off the output when there is no headphones attached?

do you have a diferent source to try? anything.... a walkman even...

I tried different sources (walkman, cdplayer, soundcard...)
I'm not using ipod, but iAudio, and I tried to use other headphones, with and without the amp,...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy
Not trying to be a smartass here...: Are you sure you are not plugging the source into the headphone out and viceversa? I know I did that a couple of times, and thought my amp was dead...

...and yes I'm sure I've been using the output and not the input. I've even tried to use input as output, to see if drXin did a little mistake or not. No mistake, and no doubt either : something in this amp is not working.

Anyway, lets not talk about this amp anymore, it is far away now, and I will spend my money somewhere else.

Anybody ?
Anyway, has anybody already experienced some troubles with Headroom products, or Portaphile ?

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
Anybody ?

I have a Total BitHead that works great. I'm sure the new Micro sounds even better.
Have you considered a Ray Samuels amp like the Hornet or SR-71?
CPW

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
I have a Total BitHead that works great. I'm sure the new Micro sounds even better.
Have you considered a Ray Samuels amp like the Hornet or SR-71?
CPW

No way for Ray's amp, not my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back