You know when I saw War Of The Worlds it struck me...
Sep 3, 2005 at 4:28 PM Post #31 of 37
KYTGuy

Very instructive post. Thanks for this small tutorial.

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:48 PM Post #32 of 37
Yet another "Oh Yeah"...

A family acquaintance of many years' past (he was one of those who escaped the East German regime by running through the fences and machine gun nests, while pushing his mother and wife in a Laundry basket) had a true nugget of info for this discussion:

Have handy a moped, a true moped, one that can be pedalled like a bicycle, as they can get up to 100 mpg, and you can run them nearly forever by pedalling up to speed before starting the motor, and coast downhill, aaaand, the little fuel that is in the nozzles of pumps that are put away and shut off is enough to run for a while, they are two-stroke, and can tolerate bad fuel, and they are light enough to lift over fences, through windows (keep them inside), etc...two people can ride a single moped, if they are reasonable sized.

One person, some of them are capable of nearly 25 mph...

Sep 3, 2005 at 6:51 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Authorities eventually allowed the renegade passengers inside the dome. But the 18-year-old who ensured their safety could find himself in a world of trouble for stealing the school bus.

That must be insulting. I mean the bus was abandoned, what did they want him to do, rent the bus before using to save all the people?

I think its pointless speculating and putting the blame on people for this whole fiasco; we can do that after everyones evacuated and safe... but I still think skin colour and social class affected the timing of the governments reaction.

Sep 3, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #34 of 37
This is an interesting thread...but I want to remind everyone that we had to close the other thread discussing Katrina because so many posters felt obligated to point fingers and turned the thread into a political flamewar. It was regretable that we had to do that, and I'm hoping we won't have similar regrets here.

Sep 4, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #36 of 37
Sep 4, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #37 of 37
Keep it civil and useful, or the thread will be locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back