You have good amp for big speakers, Do you really need an amp for headphones?
Aug 17, 2005 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Edil

Head-Fier
My current audio equipment is far from beign hi-fi quality but let say that you already have equipment in the league of Theta, Meridian or Lexicon just to give the idea (I don't have any of those). It is really nesesary to spent more money in a headphone amp? What will be the advantage?

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 10
You can't plug in headphones into a "big speaker" amp. The rare exception being the AKG-K1000, to my knowledge.

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 10
Let's just say that most of the people who wouldnt think you'd need a headphone amplifier probably have never tried one.

Technically, you don't need it (in the strict sense of necessity). But it sure is nice.

Aug 17, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 10
It's a luxury that I cant live without when I listen to my 650s. Although, if I was really short on cash, I would probably sell my amp before anything.

It is dispensible in certain ways, yet not in others..... capisce?

Aug 18, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edil
My current audio equipment is far from beign hi-fi quality but let say that you already have equipment in the league of Theta, Meridian or Lexicon just to give the idea (I don't have any of those). It is really nesesary to spent more money in a headphone amp? What will be the advantage?

Gee, I think it's really like: I already have a really good headphone amplifier, is it really necessary to spend more money on a speaker amp? The answer is YES! Speaker amplifiers and headphone amplifiers (while apparently similar) are not the same things. Just to give you one example: speakers typically have impedances of 4 or 8 ohms, while headphones typically have impedances of 32-600 ohms. This can and DOES affect the sound. There are other examples, but I assume you get the point.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 18, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 10
What you CAN do, however, is get the (inexpensive) transformer from Antique Sound Labs (or whatever the name of that chinese company is), which transforms the speaker output signals of your home amp into signals that can be used by your headphones and probably won't damage them.

N.B.: This is a different approach from the K-1000 mentioned above. The ASL transformer is suitable for "normal" headphones. Fellow head-fier denis has one of them, and for all I know he likes it.

Aug 18, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 10
Technically all headphones are powered off amplifiers. Inside the iPod there is a small opamp based amplifier. Inside your Sound card on your pc there is an opamp based amplifier (opamp based amplifier essentially being a cMoy).

Rob.

Aug 18, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #8 of 10
I have believe that if you have speakers you dont need the best amp out there to get the best sound..speakers your dealing more with room acoustics and what not so the worry of a great amp isnt a must.

on headphones once you have reached the "nice amp level" then your set..but you need a amp more inportantly with cans cause they dont have the other issues the effect the speakers as much,so youll hear the difference easy and more clear.

either way you need a great source..

Aug 18, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #9 of 10
High quality amplification is just as important for both headphones and speakers.
The only real difference between the two is the size and type of load presented to the amp.
Typically speakers represent and heavier more reactive load than headphones.

I have driven headphones from a number of different speaker amps to good effect.
[one amp capable of some 500+watts into 8ohms]
It really depends on the headphone being driven.
A super sensitive low impedance phone is a risky prospect at it can allow high
current s to flow very easily, also high sensitivity would require a very quiet
amp to prevent hiss etc.
Once you start heading up into higher impedances current becomes less of an issue.
Infact With some less efficient high Z cans the volume control positions are set much the same
as one would listen with speakers as it is the amps
ability to swing voltage that plays the biggest role.

The thing to do is carefully experiment.
[I would not recommend low impedance high sensitivity phones as previously mentioned]
The first thing to do would be to measure the DC offset voltage at the speaker terminals to make sure it is low.
How much DC is safe depends on the headphone but generally to be safe
go 10mv or less.
Naturally some sort adapter would be required to connect the speaker outputs
to ones phones.[Absolutely not short circuits needed here!!!]
Then it simply a matter of setting volume to zero and easing things up.

You might end up with an awesome sound you might not.

Though I tend to believe in the right tool for the right job and would try to seek out a
headphone amp that outperformed my speaker amp.

Aug 18, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 10
Wow!!!

Thanks, I got the point and I have to admit it; I only know that I know nothing and much to learn I still have!!!

Only God knows what's going to happen to my bank account now
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back