You guys were right on the SR225's, I miss the bass
Oct 15, 2004 at 9:07 PM Post #31 of 41
You can run with dual-soundcard... just a little bit of annoyance that you'll need to switch back and forth (in the sound control panel) between the cards when you play games. You can also specify certain software (such as your music playback software) to only use a specific card.

Oct 15, 2004 at 9:14 PM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Actually, the SR-60 comes stock with comfy pads which completely cover the drivers. Those pads are NOT the same as the flat (TTVJ) pads which have a hole cut where the driver is. The comfy pads actually muffle the sound from the higher-end Grados, unless a quarter-sized hole is cut out of the center of those pads.

If on the other hand the pads from your friend's SR-60 are the hard-foam flat pads with a hole pre-cut out of the foam, then your friend has a pre-1998 version of the SR-60. And those flat pads are NOT the same as the TTVJ flats, either - they are actually smaller in outer diameter than the TTVJ ones.

AHh, i forgot to mention. My friend has a hole cut in them (about the size of a Quarter in both of them). I presume that Todd's flats have more of a difference than just a quarter-size hole in the SR60's pads?

Oct 15, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #33 of 41
I find grados to have plenty of bass. With bowls, it isn't too strong but fairly deep, and with Flats, it's so powerful it hurts my ears. Even straight of a portable. With my cd player and the RA-1, bass is crazy strong. Listen to Dru Hill's "How deep is your love" a couple times and watch your ears bleeds.
Remember, source and amp are very very important to the sound. Still, grados definitely have bass. Good bass.
rs1smile.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #34 of 41
Yeah I guess the title can change now.

It should be: PADS make a HUGE freakin' difference =)

Heck, if the comfies from the SR60 have more bass, i can't imagine wut Todd's can do then. But $30...ehhh

Oct 15, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mav451

Heck, if the comfies from the SR60 have more bass, i can't imagine wut Todd's can do then. But $30...ehhh

Is $30 too much to make a $200 pair of headphones sound that much better?

Sorry about your wallet - it's a slippery slope
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
I disagree with you on that. Most car audio, as well as the V600, have practically NO low-end extension whatsoever - all you get is bloated, crappy midrange-bass (actually, mid-to-upper bass) response which drops off rapidly below 100Hz. Worse, the V600 has practically no impact or oomph in its sound whatsoever, as well - whatever "impact" that was trying to come out of that headphone is muffled so much that it comes across as dull and lifeless.

IMHO youre partially correct about car audio... But not entirely.

My powerbase extreme 15 extends cleanly down to 23 Hz in car.... courtesy of a low tuned aperiodic enclosure. A Visonik variable line driver and 750 WRMS into each coil help considerably. There are MANY low tuned car audio systems out there, so I know Im not the only one. Maybe we are the minority, but there are guys out there with Adire brahmas, and RE MTs tuned for low extension.

Garrett

Oct 16, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #37 of 41
I'm going to have to chime in too in defense of car audio. The IDMax I have, along with the Adire Brahma, JL Audio 13w7, MB Quart PWD, Image Dynamics IDQ, A/D/S/ R series, and a select few others are some of the most musical subs I've heard, including home subs. Hell, My IDMax can play loud, deep, and low down to 30 Hz in a sealed box, with dropoff between 20-30Hz. And I had my car dampened because I like to keep my music IN my car, thank you very much, I have no reason to advertise. But when playing some classical music and you can accurately represent 18Hz pipe organs, you have to have a damn good system.

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

And I am vindicated.

Oct 16, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Well, the one thing I notice from my V6 is while it is slightly "muddier", if you will, the bass simply goes much lower (or at least thats what it seems). Plus, there's a "rumble" that the SR225's never do--I wonder if this has anything to do with the SR225's being "tight" in the bass end.

Grado SR225's clear bass >> just doesn't go low enough. Its like only halfway there; hell right now I'd be pretty happy. But the fact that a $40 headphone can go lower than my $150 SR225's...disappointing would be an understatement. Anyway, I think i will consider Todd's flat pads? That seems to be what everyone is suggesting.

*Yeah, I really like how the SR225's feel. Nowhere near as clampy as my V6's, even with my V6's headband stretched out.

Grado SR225's are capable of FAR better bass output than you're experiencing... Grado SR225's will sound much more the way you want them to with Todd's Flats and a decent amp, like the Gilmore Lite or the Emmeline SR-71. An SB card, ANY SB card, will NOT supply the signal that will give the 225s the low end they are capable of.. the MS-2s go somewhat farther yet, with a good amp, and, even though both will run unamped, they will both do MUCH more, everywhere, when amped with something quality. You want bass? Try a pair of DT880's running through a relatively cheap but great small headphone amp like the Gilmore Lite or the SR-71... the Senn 25s aren't gonna get it done better than that... I own all the aforementioned, along with a lot of other stuff outside this discussion (my HD650s w/Cardas balanced cables, running off a Blockhead with SA's and a Meridian G08 have BASS. GREAT BASS...
icon10.gif

But for the purposes of this discussion, get an amp, like the Gilmore Lite or SR-71 and Todd's Flats, and if you STILL want more, you'll be ahead of the game anyway and graduate to DT880's or something similar... even going with the 25s (which have nice bass), but I like the DT880s and a good headphone amp for everything from DJ Shadow to the Visionaries, Prince Po to the Wylde Bunch... the MS-2's running amped sound great with all the aforementioned, BTW... thump thump...
icon10.gif

Oct 16, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #40 of 41
I agree. Give the SR-225's some juice (a lot of current - Gilmore Dynamic amplfiers), put flat pads on and you've got extremely tight, defined, very deep and impactful bass.

Oct 16, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #41 of 41
Yup, the pads would make a difference.
An amp would make a difference.
Listening to them for a longer period of time, (as in get used to them), could make a difference to.

My first audition with the SR225s didn't seem to have very impressive bass. After a couple of weeks it seemed they did. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back