You guys are nuts.
Jan 29, 2004 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

strike

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm a new member here. Naive, yes. So apologies in advance!

First of all, I gotta say you guys are crazy. I've been reading for a while and I'm blown away by how much you know about the audio world. One day I hope to attain such greatness!

Now for a newbie question. I've searched the forums and found a few suggestions, but I'm just going to ask it straight--what are your recommendations for quality 'phones that are ideal for BOTH work/home listening and working out/going to the gym?

I was close to buying some Etymotic 4P 'phones, but after researching a ton, I was eventually turned away by the microphonic aspect of the cord. Well, that coupled with the price
wink.gif
ha ha ha.

I know that there's an eternal raging debate over the quality of the Sony EX71s. My sister has a pair so I'm going to try them out tonight to see how they are.

I listen most exclusively though an iHP-120 with no amplification. I'm currently using the stock buds.

So, let the suggestions come! Oh yeah, my budget is around $100.

Great to be a part of this place. I'm sure I'll learn a lot, I'm well on my way from what I've read here already.

Thanks guys (and girls)!

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 51
The Ety microphonics are over-exaggerated, at least with their newer braided cord. That said, they're still probably not best for gym use (if running, etc.).

Second vote for KSC35s (though sweat may cause an issue with foam?) or maybe MX400/500s. That leaves you some money for a pair of SR60s or CD780s for home.

... and welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by strike
Hey all, I'm a new member here. Naive, yes. So apologies in advance!

First of all, I gotta say you guys are crazy. I've been reading for a while and I'm blown away by how much you know about the audio world. One day I hope to attain such greatness!

YOU think WE are crazy?

Wait until you start eating Ramen Noodles to afford headphone equipment.
wink.gif

I ate Ramen 3 times a day for the past entire month to get cash for my amplifier.

One day you hope to attain such greatness?
wink.gif

Correction: one day you hope to attain such insanity.

BANGPOD

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
The Ety microphonics are over-exaggerated, at least with their newer braided cord. That said, they're still probably not best for gym use (if running, etc.).

Second vote for KSC35s (though sweat may cause an issue with foam?) or maybe MX400/500s. That leaves you some money for a pair of SR60s or CD780s for home.

... and welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

I agree with Blessingx. I hope you reconsider buying the Etymotic ER-4P/S. *prays*
They are not for gym use, as he said, but who really does serious listening at a gym?

I would give up working out for headphones if I wasn't being scouted as a pitcher.

BANGPOD

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by BANGPOD
Wait until you start eating Ramen Noodles to afford headphone equipment.
wink.gif

I ate Ramen 3 times a day for the past entire month to get cash for my amplifier.

Don't forget to post your recipes (for ramen) in the recipe thread
biggrin.gif

strike. You're just at bat. Wait till you get to 2nd base.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx

When I go running, I run the cord to my Etys underneath my shirt. Microphonics gone, and no cord swinging to annoy me. It works perfectly.

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 51
I have the 4P's with the braided cord. With the shirt clip and looping the cords over my ears (Shure style), I don't have any problems with microphonics at the gym--I use them on a treadmill and elliptical.

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 51
The new ER-4P w/braided cable reduces most of the microphoncis, as long as you have the shirt-clip secured. Only one problem, the proposed budget is below $100
wink.gif

I would suggest some other options... Blessing's suggestion on earbud + some other full size headphone gives you really good bang for the buck.

Also, Sennheiser PX200 are a good set of headphone with comfortable fit, good isolation, and good sound reproduction overall. They should be much more gym friendly than KSC-35.

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 51
you guys rock. i was thinking about the px200s as well. we'll see how it goes with the sony ex71s tonight. i'll let you know how it goes.

so, so far, here's what i'm going to look into:

sennheiser px200
koss ksc35
sony ex71 (trying tonight)
sennheiser mx500 (brother has them--i thought they were okay but honestly i didn't notice too much of a difference from the stock iHP-120 buds... then again, he didn't have the foam coverings on them--i'll try them again with the foam on)

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

First of all, I gotta say you guys are crazy. I've been reading for a while and I'm blown away by how much you know about the audio world.

insanity = knowledge
confused.gif

Quote:

Oh yeah, my budget is around $100.

ROFLMAO!
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 51
Hey, man, just get a pair of Koss KSC 35 and then you'll see; I mean, if you can till grab a pair for $30 or so, don't hesitate for a second. They sound *soooooo much close* to much more expensive headphones!

Then take your time and buy, little by little, Etys, Shures, Grados, Senns, AKGs etc.
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa

ROFLMAO!
biggrin.gif

i know i know, $100 is nothing when it comes to getting that kick-butt sound. but i gotta start small and work my way up. plus, the 'phones will probably get thrashed very quickly, going from home to work to the gym and whatnot.

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

i know i know, $100 is nothing when it comes to getting that kick-butt sound. but i gotta start small and work my way up. plus, the 'phones will probably get thrashed very quickly, going from home to work to the gym and whatnot.

I think what Old Pa meant was not what he considered the paucity of your initial budget, but that it definitely will not end with $100
biggrin.gif

If you don't need isolating, I'd highly recommend the PX100. Sound which is more or less the same as the 'legendary' KSC-35, but a well fitting mini headphone which also folds flat for portability and unlike the KSC-35 can rest on your neck when not in use.

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 51
Well, for the gym, The Koss KSC-35 and Senn PX-100 are bit too open IMHO--I'd go with the Senn PX-200; these also sound great, and are a bit more "gym friendly".

If you want even more isolation, the Shure E2 fits in your budget as well--but if you're going to only get one headset, you'd probably be happier with the Senn's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back