You gotta love BestBuy!!!(my story)
Sep 22, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the people working in these stores are not paid to know what they're talking about, they're paid to know how to sell you things.

Really? I could have sworn they were paid to stand around in packs of 3-4 bullsh*ting all day...

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I could have sworn they were paid to stand around in packs of 3-4 bullsh*ting all day...

lol that too... it tends to happen when the store is slow as hell. Although I have to give the guys I worked with credit, when a customer was around and someone saw them we always at the very least offered our assistance if not helped them walk through their purchase.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #18 of 49
Here's my story. When I went there, I realized you can buy anything there for 2/3 the price, off the internet. Now I go there when I feel like being pissed off.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
orly? I'm starting to like bestbuy, my $65 GC, and my $200 in saving alot more than I did before. I'm asking my parents to take me. Big headphone shootout going down.

WAIT A SECOND... They give you store credit. That's stupid. worstbuy

Let me make this clear they refunded my money to CC. Full refund. You may have had someone talk you into store credit.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LMAO this is so true. In packs of 3-4 laughing and giggling while ignoring customers passing by.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #21 of 49
From the title of this thread I thought it was going to say how good BB was. I too don't particularly like them, but I did like them better than Circuit City.

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #22 of 49
begrudgingly, I walked into a Shanghai BB and quite frankly, was blown away. Not only did they have 20 year old 1,2 Nikon 50mm lenses, but ER4S, UE triple Fi 10, Shure SE530 along with other great headphones and good audio gear.

In Canada, BB is quite literally one of the last resorts. Sure, the employee should not know about everything, that is impossible. But, s/he should know enough about a computer to explain succinctly that an AMD processor is faster or slower than an Intel processor not because one goes so fast that the computer then slows down, but because it simply is a more powerful system.

It is worth a jaunt down to BB every once in a while just to see what sort of norman is hired ...

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't Circuit City used to be different/better back when they were commissioned?

It seemed like the employees were older and more in the technical know at that time.

Yes. Back when their employees were paid commission, they actually had training and employees that were expected to know things, or else be left in the dust by another guy who knew more. However, when the company switched to their hourly pay schedule all the employees that were getting paid commission left, leaving the company with a lack of trained sales staff.

This is one reason why CC died.

-Nylan

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why shop at BestBuy at all? I've never found them to have the best prices and you get stuck with the sales tax, too. I find the information I need online, then find the best price at a reliable online retailer. I don't mind paying a little more for non-shady retailers. But I fail to find any reason to shop at a bricks'n'mortar for electronics today.

I agree with your post but for one exception. This last year I have bought a 2 Blu-ray players, an AVR, speakers, ect. online, but when it comes to dropping 3 grand for a flat panel I just can't bring myself to buy online. I want the option of loading it up and taking it back if I am not satisfied. Not fond of the the idea of boxing up a 55" LCD tv and sending it back. Flat panels are having to many problems these days.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #26 of 49
CC was half decent compared to Bestbuy. The only issue I ever had at CC was lack of help, a lot of times I'd have to wander around looking for someone and no one will be around.

Frys is better than both IMO, I've had good experience here in the bay area and I know a few of them personally who know their stuff. Especially in the TV and Home Audio department. There are a few folks there who try to upsell stuff, but its not hard to tell the honest ones from the ****** bags IMO, just do your research and their opinion in parallel dont rely on just one.

Oh and the reason Bestbuy gets so much crap from ppl for not knowing squat is because they advertise claiming that they know everything. Their ads are all about how their staff was so knowledgeable and helpful in explaining technology to customers, so they get absolutely no pity from me. Their geeksquad is the biggest rip off on the planet, its legalized robbery IMO. Even yesterday there was an article on Gizmodo showing a Geek squad ad for "Setting up a PS3" for 199$. A 199$ ppl for hooking up PS3, upgrading its firmware (which happens to be pretty much automatic) and creating user accounts and setting up parental controls. Yes. These ppl need our support...NOT!

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why shop at BestBuy at all? I've never found them to have the best prices and you get stuck with the sales tax, too. I find the information I need online, then find the best price at a reliable online retailer. I don't mind paying a little more for non-shady retailers. But I fail to find any reason to shop at a bricks'n'mortar for electronics today.

X2. But if your current flat panel ever needs fixing, you can get one at BB and use it until the 30-day window is about to close, and return it. No restocking fees. Sleazy? Perhaps. But after some of the consumer horror stories from the BB annals, turnabout is fair play.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #28 of 49
When Office Max had the Sansa Clip for 20 bux I tried to use the price matching offer they advertise at Best buy. I had the ad with me to show the manger and he basically said he would not honor the policy. "It's up to my discretion and Im not going to do it. Its bad business...". I told him I bought a laptop, 2 digital cameras and a video camera from Best buy in the last 3 years and you are gonna lose a customer forever over $20? Ok business guy.

check out this article on the matter.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #29 of 49
I don't know why you're knocking a BBY employee who sells laptops and fixes computers to know the first damn thing about hi-fi.

If you were in my Best Buy and asked me, I'd give you a great answer
wink.gif

Knowledge varies by department and store, because the only way anybody knows anything at BBY is if they knew it before or have other ambitions outside of their jobs.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #30 of 49
The retail employee bashing thing is obnoxious. I worked there for 7.5 years during high school and college (that's a LONG time for a retail employee). There are many reasons why the normal employee doesn't know the answer to that question. You gotta find the nerdy kid that cares

The turnover rate is about a year, and the starting pay is so low that already knowledgeable new-hires don't exist very often. I took the pay because I was 16, and stuck around because I enjoyed it and they kept giving me considerable (for high school) raises. It's simply unrealistic to assume these employees can learn that much, already know that much, or even care that much. They SHOULD, however, be able to find someone who knows that answer, or someone willing to find the answer for you (Google). I was always that someone... if nobody else knew, they asked me.

If you've never worked in retail (specifically electronics), you have no idea how many random unrelated questions you get a day. Chances are none of those employees will ever get asked that question again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back