You Gotta Keep 'em Separated? (Apologies to Offspring)
Nov 25, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was going to say, with a low-end DAC/amp/headphones you cannot hear subtleties in music anyway, they get squashed out.

That's a whole different issue.

We're not talking about subtleties buried within a high level signal. We're talking about making any sound at all.

Also, the test didn't duplicate what you would happen under realworld conditions. It went far beyond that.

I wasn't driving the other half of the cable with a headphone level signal. I was driving it with a speaker level signal. So whatever may have coupled into the half I was listening to would have been FAR greater in magnitude than if it were being used as a headphone cable and being fed a headphone level signal.

And I chose 24 feet of cable instead of the more typical 10 feet to even further enhance any coupling.

But in spite of that, there was simply nothing to be heard.

se

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who's talking about keeping any cable separated that terminates to a TRS? This whole thread is about the cable Peter made for me for my balanced rig, isn't it?

I was only using the TRS jack as a means of connecting the headphone across the one pair of wires in order to evaluate crosstalk. There was no connection between the two pairs.

se

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was only using the TRS jack as a means of connecting the headphone across the one pair of wires in order to evaluate crosstalk. There was no connection between the two pairs.

se

You didn't answer the rest of the question.
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You didn't answer the rest of the question.
wink.gif

This?

This whole thread is about the cable Peter made for me for my balanced rig, isn't it?

If so, the thread was about whether or not there was any benefit to separating left and right channels into two separate cables. Or to put it another way, if having both channels in the same cable is a problem.

se

Nov 26, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #22 of 22
Ok. Repeated with the 30 gauge wire.

Same result.

Next step when I have some free time is to use something with more juice than the JVC and see just how far I have to go to get anything audible.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back